Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

itchy arm mystery solved, maybe

Hi ladies, I wrote months ago about my itchy arms. The short version was: My arms itch from forearm to shoulder since riding regularly (100 miles weekly). This goes on in hot or cold weather, short or long sleeves, sun or not. I tried antihistamines, cortizone creams, lotions etc. Saw the dermatologist twice. I have no visable rash (except the one caused by the itching!). Dermatologist perplexed, hundreds spent on Rx and non-Rx meds. She called yesterday. Said she thinks it's....brachioradial pruritus. Yikes, whats that?? Seems it starts with nerve compression in the neck, (probably caused by my riding position-head down-looking up) which irritates nerves and causes the itch. Simple huh? So, now I adjust my bike so that I can ride more upright (I have a Giant ocr1 with adjustable stem which I have never bothered to switch). Hopefully this will help with neck pain and "compression". Has anyone else experienced anything like this...even close? I'm so annoyed but relieved that at least I now have something to work with.

May I ask if you ever figured out what was exactly causing your itchy arms. I have the exact same symptoms...

Quote Originally Posted by jacilw View Post
    May I ask if you ever figured out what was exactly causing your itchy arms. I have the exact same symptoms...
    Hi Jacilw! Unfortunately, you will likely not receive an answer, as the original post is 12 years old! Not too many of the same folks are on the forum now, unfortunately. Have you tried healthboards.com forums?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I am sympathetic, especially since I've spent the past week playing another round of "are these insect bites or are the chronic hives flaring up again?". Also I'm intrigued that nerve compression could cause such symptoms.

Best of luck figuring out a solution, Jacilw.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles