Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wouldn't have the TIIMME to find 20 articles

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

hey

I really only started doing the physio recommended & pilates exercises with small weights after my recent injury. I actually enjoy it.

I need to re-strengthen my hamstrings & glutes in order to power down on my right leg which i can't do yet.. I know time on the trainer helps & do that too..

It seems to be working out just fine but with everyting, it takes time. Once I can power down i will def continue doing exercises with weights.
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 02-08-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, suggestions and insights on the topic of the utility of weight lifting for cycling.

I agree, in general, with the philosophy that the best way to improve any aspect of cycling is to get on the bike and train the skill you want to improve (in my case, climbing faster). But I live in the ice/snow belt in Maine so there are many months where I need to focus on other kinds of training to keep my form and get ready for cycling season.

Last year I spent a lot of time in the gym doig weight lifting and didn't see that much improvement in my climbing ability (as measured by my ability to keep up with my cycling partner on the hills). That, in part, is what prompted me to post my question to this forum.

This year I'm still lifting this winter but I'm spending more time on core (abdominals) work and on flexibility (Hatha yoga). I'm also spending a lot of cross training time on XC skiis --which I do think will help keep up my cycling specific fitness over the winter. (Trainer workouts with my bike are fine but I like being outside better!)

Given all the input here I'll do some more research on how best to translate weight lifting into cycling specfic fitness/power. If I find anything interesting I'll post it to the forum. In the end I suspect I'll be incorporating some plyometrics into my training --- I'll at least try it out and see how my knees hold up. I hadn't heard of Crossfit training so I'll check that out as well.

And once spring has arrived I'll forget all about it and just enjoy being on my bike again

- Carol
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond