Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

DIY bike bag for flying

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anybody ever made their own? I need to fly with my bike and want to get away with not paying extra to check it. I have a sewing machine (tho not an industrial one). Before I slave over figuring it out alone I thought I would see if anyone else has made any attempts at it.

Thanks!

Bike bag? Considering how I've seen bikes in hardshell boxes treated before they were even checked in by airlines .... bag? I'm sorry, I would not let my baby fly in a bag unless the bag covers a steel case

I'd get a real hard shell case (not a box) or borrow from my LBS or fly sans bike and rent at the destination.

I understand if you're a member of L.A.B. your bike may fly free, or get a case that "looks like luggage" and hope they don't notice .

Welcome to TE BTW.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

traveling with or shipping a bike

http://www.aircaddy.com/

Hi there!
    I can highly highly recommend these boxes!! They are made of really stiff thick corrugated cardboard. For traveling there are wheels you can attach to the wide part of the box, notice it's shaped like a pie. So it's pretty easy to maneuver. The best part is that it folds flat for storage when you aren't using it.

We've traveled with ours, and trust me, our bikes are our precious babies, and they came through completely unscathed. Best of all, there's enough room to stash most of your bike gear, helmet, shoes and such, less stuff to carry separately. My partner shipped the more precious than gold Bridgestone XO2 that belonged to her Dad and it arrived within a week.

When you travel, you almost always have to pay extra for the oversized package....why don't golfers have to pay extra I wonder to check their giant golf bags...sorry I digress.

I recently purchased a new folding bike and after reading many messages on bikeforums about traveling with them, I would never check a bike in a soft sided bag. There have been times when damage to bikes inside hard shell suitcases is reported. There are threads on how to put pvc pipe in your hard-shelled suitcase to keep it from being crushed and your bike damaged. I just don't see it surviving a sewn case. It would be a good idea for transporting on a bus or in your car though.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington