Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Must be the sinister black helmet....but I admit it's secretly kinda FUN. Maybe they think I have a billy club and handcuffs hidden under my skirt.
    Maybe it's that they're not used to being asked politely. An adult not snapping at them could be startling them into good behavior. They straighten up because they're not sure what else to do...

Nah. Your black helmet/billy club theory is WAY more fun.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    Nah. Your black helmet/billy club theory is WAY more fun.
    Yeah, that's it.
    Here's my helmet:

my wrist guards are pretty 'Robo-cop' too:

Maybe they think they are like brass knuckles....

Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

first outdoor skating in 45 years...

Today was my first time skating outdoors in 45 years, since i was about 9 or so.
    I use quads (the old fashioned roller skates, not blades), and have been skating only in the rink for a few months now.
    I got some special outdoor wheels and went to our local fairgrounds which has no traffic and lots of paved and asphalt paths and roads.

It was way harder than I thought it would be!
    My balance was all thrown off and I felt like a beginner again, ugh. I was often doing the windmill arm panic thing and leaning forward too far, losing my balance, etc.
    There were some very rough paths, and other smoother paths. My skates did trip up when going over some debris sometimes, though I tried to avoid rocks and sticks and gravel.
    It was way more fun on the smoother paths. Often the paths would change from smooth to rough and back again though, hard to predict. Good practice I suppose.
    There was a lot of wind which didn't help either.
    But despite all this, somehow I managed to skate along for 2 hours without falling. By the end of my first outdoor experience, I was noticeably better than when I started, thank goodness. It was scary but also kind of fun. I'm exhausted and sore all over from working so hard! This, I can tell, will make my legs stronger.
    I'll have to go back regularly and practice more so I can leave the dork-ette phase behind as soon as possible.
    But tomorrow I go back to the rink, which will seem like a piece of cake now.
    Lisa

I like to rollerblade my dog around the park (he sets the pace so we tear out at first and then settle into a nice pace) - I get bored skating without him. I look a poster for rollerblade safety with helmet, wrist and elbow pads.
    Last edited by farrellcollie; 04-17-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Roller skating is SEXY!

Just check out these cool dudes on quads....
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=BLJ5a6aJOb8
    Lisa

We had our first chilly night last night, and for some reason it got me thinking about a gear question with skiing. I decided to look for an answer I thought I knew was on here, but THEN I saw this post! I know it's a bit old, but I can't help but chime in.

I was the disco ball roller skating queen when I was younger. Recently when my children decided they wanted to try rink skating (DD had been to 1 b-day party, I didn't skate with the fear of falling and my back issues), I joined in this time too. OH MY!!! ...what memories. AND, I could still do it. PLUS, the rink still has a disco ball. Guess some things never change, go figrue.

To my total disappointment, my mother has just within the last few months given away my custome made very expensive leather speed skates to charity!!! DD told me the last visit to g-ma's house, she saw them there. Now, they are gone. Gheez, they were complete with purple and yellow alternating laces too.

BSG... I wish I had a picture of this to post. One of my gym GFs was a roller queen too. For her b-day this summer she had a 70s theme b-day party. Everyone was to dress up. Pretty much she and I were the only two that did (well, she made her DH do it). She has a tennis court in her backyard where the party was. She had just gotten herself a new pair of skates. She left me have a turn wearing the skates, while wearing my 70s retro outfit, and did some laps. What fun.

I can not do the roller blades. I hurt my ankle at the pool this summer. I just don't have the same strength to hold my foot into position with the blade wheels without pain.

Now that more indoor activities are coming soon, I think I will have to get myself a new pair of skates. Thanks for the inspiration!

EDIT: Btw, that video of those two guys skating just gave me the biggest chuckle with my morning coffee... what a great way to start the day.

Hey Miranda,
    (you know, Miranda is my middle name!)

Thanks for sharing that post. Sounds like you and your GF know how to have fun.

I have not been skating for a few weeks since they closed the sunday hours at the rink for the summer- I loved going on sundays. Gotta get back into it- been enjoying my new bike too much lately.

Here is one of my favorite clips- Gene Kelly dancing on roller skates- watch the whole thing as he gets fancier as it progresses. What an amazing man!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aus1PA5-SyI

I have two identical pairs of Riedell Carrera skates. Carreras are sort of mid-range skates. I keep one set for indoor and the other pair set up for outdoor skating on rougher pavement. The outdoor setup has very wide axles and large rollerblade wheels. They cruise over pebbles and sticks really well. But still I am better skating in the rink. I am not a great skater, but I have fun.
    Here are my indoor and outdoor setups:
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 08-10-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Hey Miranda,
    (you know, Miranda is my middle name!)

Thanks for sharing that post. Sounds like you and your GF know how to have fun.

I have not been skating for a few weeks since they closed the sunday hours at the rink for the summer- I loved going on sundays. Gotta get back into it- been enjoying my new bike too much lately.

Here is one of my favorite clips- Gene Kelly dancing on roller skates- watch the whole thing as he gets fancier as it progresses. What an amazing man!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aus1PA5-SyI

I have two identical pairs of Riedell Carrera skates. Carreras are sort of mid-range skates. I keep one set for indoor and the other pair set up for outdoor skating on rougher pavement. The outdoor setup has very wide axles and large rollerblade wheels. They cruise over pebbles and sticks really well. But still I am better skating in the rink. I am not a great skater, but I have fun.
    Here are my indoor and outdoor setups:

BSG... Thx for posting the pic of your dual set up! I would have never thought of putting roller blade wheels on a traditional skate axel. I think DD would like to skate outside more, but I told her I don't think mom can handle those skinny wheel track skates. Now I may have an alternative. I think my GF just skates in her indoor ones. I can't see that though. Seems like it would ruin the wheels nice smoothness.. I love your safety gear too, btw. I broke a few bones as a kid and my right wrist was one of them... from rink skating. So many little bones in there, it never healed totally the same. I'm right handed too. As an adult it bothers me on and off for certain things. I looked at some simple wrist protectors for DD just at a charity resale store, but think I'd better get myself some. It's sorta like riding my bike. It's not my own riding abilities that I worry about causing a crash... it that of others around me. Those fearless little kids that dart all over are a major crash hazard (my own kids included).

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    I would have never thought of putting roller blade wheels on a traditional skate axel. I think DD would like to skate outside more, but I told her I don't think mom can handle those skinny wheel track skates. Now I may have an alternative. I think my GF just skates in her indoor ones. I can't see that though. Seems like it would ruin the wheels nice smoothness..
    Actually, you can't just slap tall roller blade wheels on regular quad axles- they will rub the boot sole. You'd have to buy this 'conversion kit' like I got:
    http://www.skates.com/QuadLine-8482-...-p/qdl-100.htm
    they comes with special WIDE axles that place the tall blade wheels outside the width of the boot instead of under it like most quads. It is wide and takes some getting used to to skate on. But the end result is that you can glide over just about any rough pavement and stray cracks and pebbles won't stop you in your tracks.
    If you skate over rough surface in normal (harder) indoor quad wheels, it's not so much that your wheels will get chipped and ruined (which they will after a while) but more that any little pebble or twig or crack will bring your skate to a dead stop and you go flying forward on your face.
    Roller blades go right over that rough stuff. Outdoor wheels really need to be bigger and softer than indoor wheels.
    If you have some extra quad skates already and want to use them as outdoor skates, it's best to either buy big fat softer quad wheels like this (which will fit with your current standard axles:
    http://www.skates.com/Kryptonics-70m...ls-p/krw70.htm
    OR, get the conversion kit above with the super wide axles and use them with roller blade wheels.

Those little kamikaze kids- yes I know them well- they are the biggest hazard but I am learning to anticipate their suicide moves and swerve around them.
    Lisa

Thx BSG ...this has turned out to be a very educational thread for me, besides just the memory lane fun factor!

I don't own my own skates yet again (after mother dissed my groovy pair, boo hoo). But that gives me some ideas of how to set things up.

I do know what you mean about tripping on stray things. Boy, someone losing their pocket change on the rink floor is a mess. I can totally see the need for the wheel design now for outside.

Btw... the vid of Gene tap dancing in his skates was great. I used to be able to do the backwards criss cross, but well... that's a bit rusty now. His spiffiness reminds me of the last roller blader I saw...

It was at one of our camping parks and he had the biggest pair of monster quads I have ever seen for one thing... BUT, my gosh, his shorts were black skin tight latex/pvc/leather something or another. I kinda wanted to pull over and ask him if it was for bum protection, or merely a style preference. Maybe both?

EDIT: I have no idea how I scrolled past the pic of the dolls getting a fast skate stair ride... wheeeew, chalk that up to yet another incident of me lol at the pc like a hyena... DD says, well mom, it looks like that one made it, Ruby I assume... sometimes it's a good thing to be the one doing all the work.
    Last edited by Miranda; 08-11-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I went rollerblading today with a friend and skated for about 2 1/2 hours! The rink wasn't too crowded and I managed not to wipe out once (unlike ice skating). I think I might have a sore rear end tomorrow...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I couldn't stand it and bought new skates for myself and the kids. Then, the kids don't want to go. I went by myself once so far. But, this week one kid has a school skating party. Looking forward to that. Oh, btw, we have traditional quad skates for indoors.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    I couldn't stand it and bought new skates for myself and the kids. Then, the kids don't want to go. I went by myself once so far. But, this week one kid has a school skating party. Looking forward to that. Oh, btw, we have traditional quad skates for indoors.
    Have fun! As for the quad skates, good for you for being able to skate with them! I am not so good on those--they don't turn as easily which is a problem because I am not great at crossover turns.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Cool Roller Skating at 47

Hi all. I am new on this site. I ride my own motorcycle but I miss roller skating. I do ride a stationary bike for exercise .

The thing is that I am kind of nervous to get back on the skates . I don't want to fall. I did order protective gear for the skating ring in case that I do.
    Any tips on warm ups and excercise to do before skating ?

Thanks-

Bee

Hi Bee!

As for protection in the rink...
    even though other people seldom wear stuff, I think it's good especially for people older than 30 to wear:
    Helmet (can't replace your brain)
    Knee pads
    Wrist protectors
    and here is my secret weapon:
    Crash Pads Shorts
    I wear them under a swirly short skirt so you don't see much of the pads.
    I have fallen on my butt both with and without them on - and the difference is amazing.
    They are not cheap, but I tried 4 different brands and found that these were twice as good as the others all were. Amazing tailbone protection!

Don't worry about how you look- just think about how you are setting a good example for some people there.

I suggest you just take it slow and easy and don't skate faster than you feel secure doing. Take your time and enjoy the e-a-s-y feeling of skating slowly at first. Keep your knees BENT and you will usually avoid flipping over backwards.
    Lisa