Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

105 Shifter compatability - double to triple

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK. This question is actually regarding my DHs bike. He has a good hybrid which was great when we were living in the city for commuting but we have moved now and instead of commuting he wants to do more road racing/training/pack riding etc. He has a set of handlebars from a GIANT OCR team bike (2000ish vintage) that has a set of Shimano ST-5500-C shifters on it. That bike (which was stolen and replaced with more practical hybrid) had a double and 9 speed rear cassette.

Getting round to the question...... The hydrid has a 105 9 speed rear cassette and deraileur but it has a triple chain ring on the front. DH has found the Shimano instructions for fitting the shifters on the hybrid which also say that that model shifters are double AND triple compatible. I am worried that this info is specific to the current years production of the shifters and may not be true for older shifters even if the model number is the same. Does the model number change each year if the components are upgraded/altered/changed?

Also can anyone point me to any "dummies" guide to fitting shifters, brake and gear cables?

TIA

Generally, the difference between a front mech for a double and a triple is in the cage length.

For your purposes, if the front derailleur worked on a triple, it'll work on a double.

Also, here is the Park web site. It'll tell you most of what you need to know.
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

Shimano Shifters

Hi -
    You will find that the 5500 shifter/brake levers are double/triple compatible - i.e. even though they were originally set up on a double they'll shift all three rings of the triple without breaking a sweat. IMPORTANT: This is not true of Ultegra or Dura-Ace shifters - you have to get a specific triple set to shift all three chainrings.
    I say go for it, cable the beast up, and let 'er rip!

Quote Originally Posted by boy in a kilt View Post
    Generally, the difference between a front mech for a double and a triple is in the cage length.

For your purposes, if the front derailleur worked on a triple, it'll work on a double.

Also, here is the Park web site. It'll tell you most of what you need to know.
    Front derailleurs for triples have taller back plates and wider spacing between the plates, and can have a different curve. Often the two plates are splayed also, a little wider at the back, to accomodate the chain line to the cogs. The splay is not as common as it used to be because front mechs have evolved over the years but there is a HUGE difference between double and triple derailleurs.

If you are using the triple derailleur that came with the bike and crankset, you should be fine. But if you need to replace it, note the above and be sure to get a 9-spd derailleur as 10 spd derailleurs are for narrower chains and chainrings.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.