Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hummus is in the category of "Close Your Eyes and Eat It."
    I love the stuff, and don't mind how it looks, but I do see how it can be off-putting. I wish I had a recipe.

On a ride, though, I'd worry about food poisioning. (Background - almost lost my Mother to ptomaine once, I'm sensitive) It'd probably stay good with really good refrigeration. I'm not up to figuring out how to do it, though.

Michelemarrano, I appreciate your work. As a self-employed person, you delivery guys are the ones that bring work to my door - 400 pages yesterday & today, in fact. Thanks.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

What a good idea hummus would be on a ride! We make it at home all the time in the summer but I never thought about a "to go" cup of it. I personally wouldn't worry at all about spoilage - after all, I would think plenty of people in it's land of origin don't have refrigeration and it's plenty hot there! It's just garbanzos, tahini (ground sesame seeds), garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. No eggs or anything. But I understand the concerns about being careful!

Nuthatch:

Could I possibly get your recipe? I've tried a few and haven't found the right amounts or something. Just doesn't taste like what I get at the middle eastern deli near my house. Thanks!

Oh, dear I was afraid someone might ask that. No recipe - we just start with a 15 oz can of drained garbanzos (keep the liquid) and start throwing stuff in there (blender for really smooth puree). Usually a couple tablespoons of tahini, juice of one lemon, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, some of the reserved liquid to thin things down to the consistency you like. I've added paprika and I always add ground cumin. I leave out the traditional olive oil but I've heard that makes all the difference in making it taste more like the deli. I've also heard that cooking the garbanzos from their dried state yourself makes things more creamy and tasty. Have you thought of asking the deli guys or is it a top-secret recipe?
    Last edited by nuthatch; 02-11-2005 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch
    Oh, dear I was afraid someone might ask that. No recipe - we just start with a 15 oz can of drained garbanzos (keep the liquid) and start throwing stuff in there (blender for really smooth puree). Usually a couple tablespoons of tahini, juice of one lemon, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, some of the reserved liquid to thin things down to the consistency you like. I've added paprika and I always add ground cumin. I leave out the traditional olive oil but I've heard that makes all the difference in making it taste more like the deli. I've also heard that cooking the garbanzos from their dried state yourself makes things more creamy and tasty. Have you thought of asking the deli guys or is it a top-secret recipe?
    that's exactly how I make it,except I leave out the tahini - I have a friend who had an anaphalactic reaction to sesame. Canned garbanzos, lemon juice, garlic. Lots of garlic. I LOVE hummus on wheat bread as a snack or for breakfast. I don't see what people would find unappealing about it at all.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    Hummus is in the category of "Close Your Eyes and Eat It."
    I love the stuff, and don't mind how it looks, but I do see how it can be off-putting. I wish I had a recipe.

On a ride, though, I'd worry about food poisioning. (Background - almost lost my Mother to ptomaine once, I'm sensitive) It'd probably stay good with really good refrigeration. I'm not up to figuring out how to do it, though.
    there's nothing in it to spoil.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

One of my favorite lunches is...

a hummus and tabuli (sp?) on pita sandwich. I think that because of the acidity of the lemon juice it would be fine to carry the hummus in your back pack/water bag.

donna

400 pages?

MomOnBike...if you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do and do you work from home. The company I work for is going through "organizational changes" and although I think I can buy myself some time or take a package, I was looking into other options should I decide on the package.

Hope I am not out of line in asking, if I am I apologize.

the hummus recipe sounds great, and just the way I like to cook. soon, very soon....

as for delivery services...I do appreciate the drivers of all the courier companies - it's got to be a hard job! But up here in the middle of no-where Canada, Fedex and UPS are the bane of our online shopping existance!! Fedex actually LOST the birthday present I ordered for my husband, and today I received the $25 bill for brokerage fees!! I don't care if it crossed the border, I never got the package!!!! That brokerage fee is way higher than other couriers, and it takes them forever to get stuff to us! UPS was no better. In fact, UPS does not move anything, even expedited packages on the weekend!! Even the postal service does that! So, online shipments I"m always requesting USPS now. So far it's worked like a charm!

Namaste,
    ~T~

FedEx

Hi Ladies--Thanks for your appreciation of FedEx. FedEx has supplied my hubby and me with a decent livelihood for over 20 years.

In addition, FedEx has the honor of being the #1 Corporate sponsor of the MS 150 bike tours in 2004!!!

Actually I'm not a courier anymore--I am a station manager--however, when the going gets rough, the tough go deliver!!

The hummus recipe--I find hummus to be like pesto sauce--when it's good....it's fabulous!! When it's not good....it's Hidious!!

This is what has worked for me hummus-wise: The best brand of mix is Fantastic Hummus mix. I follow the directions on the box, then I drizzle a good olive oil and add cumin and chili powder.

The best ready-to-go hummus is the house brand at Trader Joe's. I add their olive tapinade in addition to olive oil/cumin/chili powder. Trader Joe's makes outstanding garlic pita chips as well.

This combo makes for quick energy that lasts for hours without providing a loaded stomach---perfect for long bike rides. Refridgeration/spoilage should not be a concern with this being strictly a vegan treat.

Speaking of long rides, has anyone here done the TOSRV ride from Columbus to Portsmouth, Ohio??? I'm thinking about it this year if I don't have to work the Saturday before Mother's day.

Are there any other Central Ohio cyclists aboard? I'm thinking of joining the Westerville Bicycling Club this spring.

I
    Fit and Fabulous on a Bike...Decrepit on a Horse!

Ok, I admit it, I'm overly concerned about spoilage. But food poisioning is not pretty.

Still, DH & I love bike picnics, and we have packed some pretty gourmet meals. I think that a cooler filled with hummus, olives, pita, cheese & um, something good to drink would be romantic. I'll just make sure to add plenty of cold somehow.

Will spring ever get here?
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Amen, MomonBike! Will spring ever get here? I saw the very tips of my tulips sticking up from the garden yesterday! Now if some of those sunny, 50 degree days will just coincide with a weekend....

Century Nutrition

I got some good advice on this board when preparing for the Tour de Tuscon. I'd bonked at 30 miles!!!! on a training ride a few weeks before the century - a bottle of Gatorade really helped that day! It's amazing how fast the sugar kicks in - but I knew I had to experiment with my nutrition before the century. So I tried using GU, HammerGEL (love the Espresso flavors not to mention a little caffeine boost) and similar products about every 20-30 minutes and sipped water or a diluted endurance drink (I carry 2 bottles). I'm not sure how to figure out exactly what calories I need as another writer did (would love to...) so it was more trial and error. In any case, eating & drinking often made all the difference and the ride was great!

Here's what I take for an energy boost. Piece of whole wheat bread. Read your labels ladies. It has to say 100% whole wheat as the first ingrediant. You'd be amazed at how many things say whole fiber or whole wheat and they are not. Spread with crunchy peanut butter, natural is better than the Skip, Jiff stuff, then drizzle some honey on and sprinkle Grape Nuts on that. Lots of crunch, lots of energy and all natural.