Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

no way!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I take the Fifth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(no, wizeguys, not of scotch....yeesh)

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

*insert innocent look here*

sounds like you already did...that's why we want the details!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

best option in my bottle?

I'm new to trying out the sports drinks. Just got to riding long enough for it to start to matter! But in the interests of hydration, I tried out this stuff called "Glaceux" or whatever, "vitamin water" - glugging it down about halfway through my hour-and-a-half ride today. It tasted all right - and I sure felt better and better hydrated than when I was using my "stop at the occasional drinking fountain for a sip" method. I actually had to stop to pee during the ride! Which I thought was a good sign. I should mention that before I left I did have my usual home-concocted smoothie of yogurt, fruit, and (yech!) powdered wheat grass.
    So after I got off my bike my stomach started really bothering me and then, uh, other parts started really bothering me. So my question is: what is the easiest to digest sports drink? And also, is it really necessary to drink them at all, even on a long ride? Could I instead drink a lot of water and maybe eat a couple of bananas?

I got two huge cans of Accelerade last weekend at Performance because I had a coupon for buy one, get the second for 1 cent. I didn't read the posts here, and I am glad I didn't, because I tried the Blue Raspberry (new flavor), and I liked it a lot! I watered it down a bit, though. One scoop was supposed to make 12 oz, but I used my Polar bottle (22 oz I think?), and it was just the right level of taste, not too strong at all.

Normally I go with homemade Kool-Aid (we buy the plain lemonade stuff where you add your own sugar, add sugar and salt) - or GatorAid when I buy sports drinks on the road. I love GatorAid!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by joyrider
    So my question is: what is the easiest to digest sports drink? And also, is it really necessary to drink them at all, even on a long ride? Could I instead drink a lot of water and maybe eat a couple of bananas?
    The nice thing about sports drinks is that they hit your system immediately. Bananas aren't quite as quick, but are still excellent for a snack. Experiment around with what you like.

Many of us water down the powdered variety because they are so strong. I, myself, am currently hooked on Monster Energy or Red Bull (about 1/2 can) mixed lightly with Ultra Fuel. I keep one "energy bottle" and two water bottles on board. I also carry a Clif bar for longer rides and a tin of Gu in my bike bag just in case I start to bonk.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

thanks, Dogmama!

Isn't Red Bull loaded with caffeine? I notice a lot of people mention it as a good drink for during a ride - I'm just concerned I'll get jittery and then drop like a hot rock.

mmmm
    caffeine good

Namaste,
    ~T~

Quote Originally Posted by joyrider
    Isn't Red Bull loaded with caffeine? I notice a lot of people mention it as a good drink for during a ride - I'm just concerned I'll get jittery and then drop like a hot rock.
    It does have caffeine and other herbs, but it doesn't drop you. I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine and sugar - and for some reason this combination doesn't leave me dragging. I usually grab a swig before a big hill and the effect is immediate.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Okay, I can use all the help I can get...

You ladies have convinced me to give red bull a try. It goes on my next grocery list. Come to think of it, I used to know a lady who gulped down a red bull every time before she went to the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama
    It does have caffeine and other herbs, but it doesn't drop you. I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine and sugar - and for some reason this combination doesn't leave me dragging. I usually grab a swig before a big hill and the effect is immediate.
    What type of sensitivity Jo? (if I mayb be so bold as to ask) I also have problems with sugar so would be curious if our issues are similar!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

My husband tried to make me drink Accelerade all last year and now I know why -- he was just trying to get rid of it!

Now we both carry one bottle of water and one bottle of Gatorade, but since there are plenty of water stops on our bike trail he usually also carries a little plastic bottle of extra Gatorade mix and we replenish as needed. Red Bull scares me ... the one time I tried one of those caffeinated goo packets, I got the shakes about ten minutes later and he had to come back and get me with the car. (I am kind of a delicate flower about caffeine and sugar, though.)