Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

maintenance books

To disable ads, please log-in.

anyone know of a good bike maintenance book that is easy to follow? i would like to learn and am a complete novice as some of you know already. any advice?

goddess1222

Have you looked at ...

Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance? That's a great book with lots of detail and easy to read.

I also have the Break It, Fix It, Ride It CD and that's been very helpful for picturing things. Its easier for me too see almost real life pictures than a book but unfortunately, you can't bring it to the garage with you!

Good Luck!
    Kristina

Good Mt. Bike Maintenance book

I've been working on my mountain bike now for over 2 years. There are many bike books available, but "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" is easy to read and understand and has clear instructions and pictures. This book is available in soft cover and it's not very expensive. You can build a bike up from just the frame using nothing more than this book and the right tools. Bartlett's maintenance manual is also excellent, but it's more advanced and expensive (about $ 100).

In addition to a good basic book, you will need special purpose bike tools and a good bike stand. Start with the basics and work your way up gradually. I enjoy working on my bikes and get a great deal of satisfaction when everything works perfectly.

Good luck,
    Charley

a slight aside...

If you have a LBS, find out if they (or a bike club) offers a basic maintenance class. A lot of times, these are offered off-season... It's a great way to start, especially if you're really nervous about ruining anything (you don't seem to be, but just in case...) because the bike shop folks are there the whole time, ready to fix it if you broke it! There's a class offered at 2 of my LBSs, one for free and one for $50 (includes the Park Tool repair manual)....
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)