Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    Do they do any Danskin Tris in Canada?
    KG - no, the Danskin womens' triathlon series has only US locations:
    http://www.danskin.com/raceinfo.html

New to team estrogen...new goal of Danskin

Tie..
    Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am in Seattle. I think I'm becoming a little obsessed checking the Danskin website for registration. It's almost like I don't want to leave the house. Ha! I'm a member at Seattle Athletic club and they have a pretty strong swim program, so I'm hoping to arrange a lesson in the next week or two ...at least to just get an assessment of what I need to work on the start with. I've been looking into some of the training programs... Mary Meyers? Are there any that you suggest? Sounds like I'm going to be spending some $$$ getting prepared for this. I don't know what kind of clothes/ gear to buy...or what sequence the events are in...is it swim...bike...then run? That might be a stupid question. I recently invested in a new pair of running shoes as well as bike shoes with cleat/clips...I guess that's a start.

Hi, Melanie. I don't know anything about the inner workings of tris yet, either, but I figure we'll find out.

Can someone tell us a little more about the Subaru tri?
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I'm planning to register age-group, but I will probably be in one of the first waves right after the Elites with Team Survivor. Who knew cancer came with perks?

MT - it really doesn't cost extra $$ to do a tri. The only stuff I had to buy when I did Danskin a couple years ago was a pair of goggles. I bought my own wetsuit, mostly just because I wanted one. Everything else, I just used what I already had. I swam in my bra and compression shorts. Put on a commuter skort and tank top for the bike (on my upright hybrid with rack and fenders), changed to my sandals and added a baseball hat for the walk. Don't let the $$ idea stop you! You can spend as much or as little as you want.

Oh, and a friend of mine did some training with Luna Chix, I think it was free.

And if you go to one of the First Time Tri events at Nordstroms or REI you can purchase one of their reserved blocks of race entries, even if the race has sold out.

Edit: I am just waaaaaay to anxious about getting in this year. I've checked the darn site like 4 times in the last 2 hours!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 02-08-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I'm also obsessed with checking that darn site! Thought for sure it was opening today. I guess tomorrow's a new day of checking, checking again, and again....!!!!

Melanie: WELCOME!!! I did my first sprint tri last summer -- it can be overwhelming with all the stuff out there... but Knot is right. You don't HAVE to buy much at all. Just see what is most comfortable for you, and stick with it.

I found this site to be the most helpful of anything in preparing -- I just read thread after thread of conversations -- most of the time someone has already asked / discussed what you are worried about! Also, go to the bookstore.. there's some great basic info out there to give you an idea what to expect and some good training guides... just calms the nerves.

Here's to an open registration tomorrow!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

MelanieTris, I'm in Seattle also. Honestly, you only NEED what you have now. You might gain some more things in the whole experience but you can complete the race as you are now. I have some books you that you could either borrow/keep if it helps.

Knot, me too. Alas. I keep CHECKING the darned thing. It needs to just be released for registration.

Salsa, the Subaru is fantastic! It's a bit lower key than the Danskin, I think. I've never done the Danskin though, in their defense. The course is good for spectators. The swim is a bit longer than the Danskin, the bike course is incredible, and the run is a bit longer than usual but they supported it well. I would do it again in a heartbeat though I'm already signed up for a 10K on the same date. It's a good race though and we can extol its virtues tomorrow easily.

jesvetmd, no kidding. It needs to OPEN!!! I look forward to training with/meeting you if the cursed thing allows us to actually register

Tiegyr: Me too... most of my friends think I'm crazy to do these things. Looking forward to meeting people who understand and agree!

Sounds like you and I may have similar working schedules... you work nights? Weekends and overnights are my thing. Doesn't leave much time open to train with others for anything!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

click.... click..... click........

http://www.timberlinetiming.com/inde...1&showBanner=1

Hey, Salsa, can we check registration from the smoothie party?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    click.... click..... click........

http://www.timberlinetiming.com/inde...1&showBanner=1

Hey, Salsa, can we check registration from the smoothie party?

IT'S OBLIGATORY! I have a short cut to it on my Desktop so we can check it OFTEN.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Y'know those psych studies they did with rats and cocaine? They gave the rat a button to click. Sometimes when the rat clicked the button, he got a little cocaine. The rat would click the button rather than sleep, eat, or drink, just on the off chance he'd get a bit of cocaine.

I feel like that rat.

click... click... click....

http://www.danskin.com/triathlon.html

No kidding. I finally e-mailed them. I don't know if they'll answer or if they'll be forthcoming with a date but still...what if it's a month out? Can we DO this for a month? We'll go bonkers!

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post

I feel like that rat.

squeak squeak...already bonkers here...

I spose it's bedtime. I will say that I CAN and WILL check this beastie whilst at work next week. I will, in fact, leave it up and will refresh it often during my work day.

I guess my question would be, how can we train for this if we're consistently paranoid about leaving the computer?!

I'm gonna focus on this: http://www.buduracing.com/events_detail.php?e=229
    and on this: http://www.uswts.com/index.htm

and if I get into Danskin, I'll look at it as icing on the cake.

At least, that's what I'm trying to do.

.....click......click.......click

Ok, I took the bull by the proverbial horns. I am SO bad at just being patient so I e-mailed them. If they didn't want e-mail, then they shouldn't put their e-mail address on the website, right? So this is what I got in response, this morning:

Date has not been set, within the next week or two is anticipated. Your name has been added to our Seattle mailing list to receive notification.

Danskin Women's Triathlon Series

So read into that, we only have around 2 more weeks of insanity