Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since I can't even find a wetsuit that would fit me (according to the size charts I've seen), I may not even have to worry about body-in-wetsuit-in-public hideousness. Heh.

I'm game for wearing a matching shirt, but if lack of size to fit me is a limiting factor, it doesn't bother me a bit to not be in on that. I'll just happily keep an eye out for everyone else.

dex

Hey Dex,

How is your knee dear?

Dex, Knot told me about a local kayak place that rents big wetsuits. I will need one also.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    Since I can't even find a wetsuit that would fit me (according to the size charts I've seen), I may not even have to worry about body-in-wetsuit-in-public hideousness. Heh.

I'm game for wearing a matching shirt, but if lack of size to fit me is a limiting factor, it doesn't bother me a bit to not be in on that. I'll just happily keep an eye out for everyone else.
    I found NRS (Northwest River Supply, kayaking, rafting, canoeing) wetsuits to come in a lovely range of sizes and body shapes and nice low prices. I bought mine for I think $105 at Northwest Outdoor Center on Westlake. (kayak rental place) Comfortable suit, easy to get in and out of, plenty warm, easy to swim in (for me, and I putt-putt so I'll tell you right now the wetsuit is NOT the limiting factor in my swim performance!) *and* the added fashion statement of padded butt and knees!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Idealmuse View Post
    CSH - I'm in Chicago on the NW side. This will be my first tri it is a warm up (wake up call?) to the Chicago Tri Oly. Madison is great. I've been there but not any time recently.

-muse
    I did the chicago supersprint last year as my first. Although they did cancel the swim portion due to sewage concerns. Do you remember all that rain last year? My hubby did the Chicago Olympic and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Hey Dex,

How is your knee dear?
    Honestly? Not great. I saw a little bit of improvement early on in my physical therapy back in December, and then no real change since then. I kept doing my exercises and stretches, and I kept getting lectured/blamed by my PT for the lack of improvement. I ended things with her last week...it was starting to feel like an abusive relationship, so I jokingly tell my friends that "I broke up with my physical therapist."

I have the info for Knot's clinic, so as soon as I can get my doctor to give me a new 'scrip, I'll be trying again. Until then, I've made the decision to be active and just deal with the pain. The lack of activity has me in a weight gain spiral that I have to put a stop to ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    I found NRS (Northwest River Supply, kayaking, rafting, canoeing) wetsuits to come in a lovely range of sizes and body shapes and nice low prices. I bought mine for I think $105 at Northwest Outdoor Center on Westlake. (kayak rental place) Comfortable suit, easy to get in and out of, plenty warm, easy to swim in (for me, and I putt-putt so I'll tell you right now the wetsuit is NOT the limiting factor in my swim performance!) *and* the added fashion statement of padded butt and knees!
    Ooo...padded butt and knees. I can hardly wait!

I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up!

CSH - I heard about that... must have been disappointing... although I'm sure some people were relieved. And boy do I ever remember the rain... my basement flooded!

Woo hoo! Chicago/WI is OPEN and I'm in!
    Last edited by Idealmuse; 02-26-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks for the heads-up, Knotted! However, I will see all of you lovely ladies at Danskin anyhow.... I am a habitual "swim angel" for the event for the last several years. The one swimming alongside y'all with a foam noodle! (no, I do not lash wayward swimmers with the noodle, I merely threaten ).

Does this mean we can get together afterwards and celebrate? or before to carbo-load? Last year was so darn cold and rainy, so this year HAS to be beautiful! I am totally up for swim training this summer, as well.

trickytiger, you are invited to whatever celebrations happen And thank you for being a swim angel. The swim is my most challenging part (in fact you were very helpful last year when I had questions!) and I like knowing you're out there.

I'm open to swim training any time! Just say when and where (for anyone here) and I'm there. I love swimming but need to work on it more and sometimes the thought of driving to the pool or lake is daunting. Knowing I'm going to meet someone will get me off my backside.

Dex, I think you can find a wetsuit. If you don't, the alternative would be... Serious, I feel more "enclosed" in a wetsuit than I do in a simple suit or tri suit. I found a wetsuit at wetsuit.com. They're called Pro Motion and there is an online (I can give you the code) 10% discount. Mine was substantially cheaper than it would've been otherwise (not cheaper than Knot's, however) and I like it.

I would also be interested in matching shirts, with the above-mentioned requirement of covering the belly. It seems to have a mind of its own and I like to keep it well-tucked away.

I'm also looking for company in open water swims. I have weird schedules (ie, work a lot of weekends and overnight) but if someone is available I could meet somewhere. I'm north of Seattle by an hour or more, so something on the northside would be excellent.

I'm also looking at buying a wetsuit -- likely I'll go the sleeveless route. Need to try some on first. So until then, open water is out for a bit (besides... bRRRRR!)

Glad there are so many of us... it will be nice to see friendly faces (or friendly jerseys) out there as I stumble through the run!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

A great place to swim is the pool at St. Edwards Park. It usually is less crowded than the city pools and in a beautiful setting. If you time it right, lunch at Bastyr rocks. I am about to head over there now. Pool and showers are warm, water has nice chemistry balance. It is run by the NW Center.

http://www.nwcenter.org/Downloads/En...rdWinter08.pdf

They have some discounted times too.
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

After much poking around (and talking on the phone...which is something I hate), I found a wetsuit from f2r that should work. On clearance even. And then I proceeded to order it with the "custom printing" option selected, because I'm just unobservant like that.

So, wetsuit ordered. Artwork sent off. The company offered to just send me a plain suit and a refund for the difference, but I figured if I'd already paid for it, I might as well get some amusement/use out of it. (It helps that it was relatively inexpensive to get the printing done in the first place.)

And bonus: they're throwing in some Body Glide and a swim hood thingie. Neither of those things really mean anything to me at this point, but I'm all about presents and "free" things.

Body Glide= no chafing. Good for feet, inner thighs, that place under your arm that chafes with the edge of your sports bra. Much happiness.

Swim Hood Thingie= Warm head while training in cold water. Even better.

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    After much poking around (and talking on the phone...which is something I hate), I found a wetsuit from f2r that should work. On clearance even. And then I proceeded to order it with the "custom printing" option selected, because I'm just unobservant like that.

So, wetsuit ordered. Artwork sent off. The company offered to just send me a plain suit and a refund for the difference, but I figured if I'd already paid for it, I might as well get some amusement/use out of it. (It helps that it was relatively inexpensive to get the printing done in the first place.)

And bonus: they're throwing in some Body Glide and a swim hood thingie. Neither of those things really mean anything to me at this point, but I'm all about presents and "free" things.
    Dex, that sounds cool. I can't wait to see it. Can you show us what you're getting put on it?
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Heh. Sure. Now I reveal the depths of vanity.

Actually, it's the name I've used for several bloggy-journal things in the past and is currently being for a (long-neglected) site for my work-related writing/blathering. Speaking of, I have a pile of half-written articles that need to be cleaned up and posted to that site. I should get on that...

(Keep in mind that I said that going forward with the printing was mostly for my own amusement. I happen to find having my own face and name on a piece of athletic/performance equipment amusing. That might be because I'm kind of a dork.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dexrev_ws.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	5457