Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

We did good!!! How many people does Danskin usually get?

Wetsuits are nothing. Wait til you do a tri with men in speedos. Hairy men. With tummies

Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post
    We did good!!! How many people does Danskin usually get?

Wetsuits are nothing. Wait til you do a tri with men in speedos. Hairy men. With tummies
    Gag! Thanks, Teigyr...just lost my appetite for lunch!

Mail it snail mail

I can't believe it closed so fast! Anyone shut out should head over to the post office. If your entry is postmarked today they will honor it.

Yay, Quill and X and jesvetmed!

I registered mixed age but then was advised by an experienced friend that mixed age is HUGE and I should change it to my age group, which would be the 50-54 group, since the group size is much smaller and more manageable. Happy to hear advice/thoughts from the rest of you on this...we can change groups up to two weeks before.

What a nutty day. One of my teachers ran frantically into my office today around 10 am saying "I can't get through, I can't get through to register in Danskin!". I think it was school district internet blocking. The librarian finally figured out how to bypass the blocking, just in the nick of time. Then I went to a 1 pm meeting with another tri teacher who'd just gotten a freaked-out phone call from her friend, who had waited a few hours to register and by the time she tried, it was closed. Boy, what a PAGEANT this whole thing is. That's why I think it'll be fun. Phew.

Since Nanci and I are engaged in an ongoing email contest which we call "who looks more like Jabba right now?", I think I will win the "oh my God I have to be in public in a wetsuit, the horror, the horror" contest. But I would feel stupider if I let that stop me from doing something I think I can do so...onwards. And outwards (wetsuitwise)!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I kinda like the way I look in a wetsuit, from certain angles. (from others, well, not so much)

So, I tried to count, but I'm too tired after staying up late to register, then being unable to sleep due to excitement and hamster-treadmill-brain.

Are there 7 of us in Seattle?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Hamster-treadmill brain, I love that. So THAT'S what my problem is called...

7 is the count I come up with so far, also--includes X in Portland.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Hamster-treadmill brain, I love that. So THAT'S what my problem is called...

7 is the count I come up with so far, also--includes X in Portland.
    Oh, good, I can still count! Man, I'm tired. I'm really not good at staying up late.

Last time I did this, I think I started swimming in my wetsuit in Lake Washington in late May. It was darn cold, but by race day the water felt really warm and balmy.

Oh, dear, I gotta find my goggles....

And what do y'all think about having matching shirts? I really kinda dig the Team Estrogen Hill Slug. Red and yellow, it'd be easy to spot eachother out on the course. (it's likely we'll all be starting in different waves, so finding each other could be interesting during and after the race)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 02-26-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I like the idea of matching shirts. There will be SO many people, it'd be nice to be able to recognize each other from afar. I know by the time I get to the run portion, I'll be goofy and it'd be nice to not have to squint at people until they get close enough for me to figure out if I know them or not. Besides, we'll look stylin! My only requirement is that my stomach not show. I'm funny that way.

Salsa, if it's any consolation, it isn't the wetsuit that is bad. It's after you peel it off and you're wearing the tri clothes At least that was how I felt. I know some people dress comfier than others, I just wore tri shorts and a tri shirt so I was covered but it was almost kind of tight. I tried to put myself at the "I'm not fat" angle when I saw photographers.

I think this will be great fun! Now I wonder if some lakes get warmer than others earlier? I also really need to get my backside in gear with some swimming. I've been in a pool once or twice a week but I'm undisciplined and I'm sure I've become sloppy. I might go to a few swim clinics that are reasonably priced, if anyone wants to go let me know. I think most of 'em are on Sundays but parks & recreation has some masters classes during the week.

I'm going to have a bazillion questions...maybe we can think of an organized/efficient way for me to ask them, after I get a real night's sleep.

I think matching shirts would be great! I think we should ask Mimi if we could use one of her bike paintings as a design.

PS Does anyone know how many people they accept for Seattle, total numbers?
    Last edited by salsabike; 02-26-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Wow is everyone in the NW here?

I'm sitting around waiting for the Chicagoland one to open up tonight... what time did the Seattle one start taking registrations?

-muse

Idealmuse, I got the msg at 10:20pm the night before it was supposed to open. I can't believe how quickly it filled up! Good luck with your registration!

Salsa, I have books and all sorts of stuff you are welcome to borrow. I think most definitely we should do a test run before the event. It'll be FUN, that is the most important thing!!! And after you get home that day and see the numbers written on your leg and arm, you'll feel tired and downright studly.

This just in from the PI online:

Danskin triathlon filled

Apparently thousands of Seattle area women (including a few of my friends) are very anxious to put themselves to the grueling test of swimming, running and biking on Aug. 17 (all for a good cause).

The Seattle Danskin Triathlon signups opened this morning, and they filled up within hours.

If I could swim, I'd do it. Good luck to all of the gutsy women who signed up.

Posted by Cherie Black at February 26, 2008 3:08 p.m.
    Category: Women's health
    Comments

Idealmuse-

I'm waiting for Chicago as well. Where are you located? I'm near Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I'm going to have a bazillion questions...maybe we can think of an organized/efficient way for me to ask them, after I get a real night's sleep.

I think matching shirts would be great! I think we should ask Mimi if we could use one of her bike paintings as a design.

PS Does anyone know how many people they accept for Seattle, total numbers?
    I think it was around 5,000.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I think it was around 5,000.
    I think it's @5,000 too...they might bump it up to 5500; regardless the Seattle Danskin is the largest in the series, I believe.

CSH - I'm in Chicago on the NW side. This will be my first tri it is a warm up (wake up call?) to the Chicago Tri Oly. Madison is great. I've been there but not any time recently.

-muse