Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't found anything yet about a rockslide or closure on Niles Canyon Rd, where did you see this, Trek?

But I wouldn't be surprised, we had a really heavy downpour last night.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    I haven't found anything yet about a rockslide or closure on Niles Canyon Rd, where did you see this, Trek?

But I wouldn't be surprised, we had a really heavy downpour last night.
    I heard it, on the KFOG morning traffic report.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Could well be.

LeeBob has today off, and it looks like it's actually going to be nice out, so he said he's going to ride out that way & do a recon mission. Whadda guy

Weather not looking good for tomorrow AM. NOAA saying showers/rain in AM up here. So I'm ditching out.

Would love to do this ride when it's a bit more predictable on the rain side.
    Maybe next weekend????

It is GORGEOUS outside! I'm planning a Diablo ride this AM. Even if we just get to the junction it will be lovely! (30 degrees at summit as I write this)

Have fun tomorrow- be careful and have a beer on me!
    Nancy

No worries. Show up if you want, and if you're concerned about the weather, Calaveras and Palomares will probably be around for another century or two.

I have plans for the next several weekends, but if anyone wants to do this ride some other weekend, have fun.

Here's the link to the route on Bikely:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...Palomares-ride

For a cue sheet, click on Show in the upper left hand corner, which will drop down a menu, then click on Cue Sheet.

I'll be leaving from the Sunol Glen School at 10 am sharp tomorrow, if anyone still wants to go.

Thom and I will be there, we may be a little late. Kitties have their shots tomorrow morning. We're doing a slightly different ride than Jo's but I think we 'll finish at about the same time.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'm probably still in, unless the weather is really miserable at about 9 am tomorrow, then I will most likely bail.

LeeBob returned from his Niles Canyon recon ride.

He said it looks as though there was a rockslide earlier today but it was cleared away by the time he rode through. The road condition is fine.

Well, the weather report doesn't look promising at all!

So those of you on the fence, you're hereby excused and will be given a raincheck.

I'll still be there - I'm going to ride out to Sunol from home, and Lee is going to drive out. So we'll have our car there. (A gray Honda Element if anyone shows up).

Lee & I will still head out at 10 from the Sunol Glen School, and those of you still so inclined are welcome to join us. But if the weather funks out early it might be a short ride, maybe to the top of Calaveras or to Ed Levin Park, turn around & head back. Or if it's bad by then we might say the heck with it and go to a coffee shop.

Those of you traveling vast distances may want to consider saving the gas money for another time.
    Last edited by jobob; 02-02-2008 at 07:06 AM.

I'm out.

You could get lucky with the weather - WeatherUnderground shows a 50% chance of rain until this afternoon. But then again, they were totally wrong about last weekend.

Weather.com is showing showers in the am becoming full-fleged rain by 3. Gahhh.

See you some other time, Kim.

Mel, if you still want to come, we could always head out to a coffee shop after a brief ride. Or skip the ride thing altogether

Jobob- When you have a free weekend day, I'd really like to do this ride. The reason I wanted to come down was to see you, Lee and the rest of the crew! Without you all, what's in a ride!

Hope the weather holds out, it sure is cold up here and not looking good!
    Nancy

Well, it turned out to be a pretty nice ride after all !

We had some members of TE, bikejournal and Nor Cal bikeforums turn up:

From TE, there was Mel and Veronica & honorary members Thom and Leebob

From Bikejournal, we had Roborider, LanceOldStrong and GT (who came down all the way from Sacto for the ride.)

And from Bikeforums/Nor Cal we had spingineer and Bostic.

We saw V & Thom briefly when we all headed out from Sunol, then they opted to go up Welch Creek while the rest of us headed up Calaveras.

We regrouped at the top of the false summit, and Lee decided he was going to kick back a bit and turn around at some point. He ended up turning around at the bald eagle's nest, after watching the eagle leave it's nest and go fishing at the nearby reservoir (must have been fly fishing, har har). Too cool! The most I've ever seen the eagle do was hang out perched on his tower.

The rest of us met up again at Ed Levin park on the far side of Calaveras. All except for Robo and GT, who passed by and yelled out to the front runners (Bostic & spingineer) that they were heading straight for the coffee shop and not stopping & that we'd meet them there.

The weather was looking ominous but so far only a few raindrops splattered down. We were at the halfway point and happily from that point on we had some nice tailwind most of the time.

We made it up to Mission Coffee in Mission San Jose about the time it started sprinkling. We looked in the shop, but no Robo & GT, so we assumed they continued onward. We were eager to get back to Sunol so a bathroom break and we headed onward.

After we were back on the road for a bit I started hearing a weird rhythmic sound coming from one of my wheels. For a while I couldn't figure it out what it was (sort of sounded like brake rub, but noo) and Mel hung back with me while the rest of the gang went on ahead. I eventually found it - a thin piece of wire was stuck in my rear tire. The sound was the free end of the wire rubbing inside my fender. Okay, now I know. Anyhoo, I pulled out the wire and had the inevitable flat a quarter mile later. I'm happy to say it wasn't one of my lengthiest tire changes, and Mel was great help and moral encouragement.

We continued on to Niles Canyon Rd, where the rain picked up a little bit but it never got opressive. The light rain and the tailwind made for a pretty pleasant ride back into Sunol. (We had decided at the start of the ride not to do the additional Palomares route on account of the likelyhood of heavy rain in the afternoon)

Lee, LanceOldStrong, Bostic and spingineer were patiently awaiting our arrival and we adjourned to Boscos for lunch and brews. (Well, Mel and I had brews, the guys had sodas & iced tea.)

There was no sign of Robo & GT when we arrived in Sunol but thier cars were still there. I assumed since we never passed them that they had decided to go up Sierra Road. I expected them to walk into Boscos at any moment. When we finished our lunch and were just sitting around chatting, it occured to me that I might have Robo's cell phone number - and I did. Ooops. So I called his number and reached him.

Come to find out they had missed a turn up ahead of us and went a few miles out of their way before they discovered their mistake. Then Robo had a flat. By the time they reached the coffee shop we had long gone but they decided to stop for a while. Then by the time they reached Niles the rain was coming down fairly heavily. When they reached Sunol and saw our cars weren't where we left them, they figured we had all left and headed for home themselves. (In actuality our cars were parked at Boscos and it didn't occur to them to look for us there. )

So for the most part we missed the rain - except Robo & GT near the end - and I think a good time was had by all.

Hey Jobob,

Thanks for organizing a really fun ride! I had a most excellent time during the ride and at Bosco's afterwards.

I recorded the ride on my Garmin Edge and uploaded it to the Motion Based site. You can see re-live the ride at my slow pace by clicking on the following link:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/4897222

The two pauses on Mission were when we were trying to find the source of the rubbing sound. However, I turned the timer off while we worked on your flat. If you look at it on the satellite map, you'll notice that the hills around Calaveras were a lot greener today than they were when the satellite photos were taken.

Thanks again for a fun day!

-- Melissa
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Oh, that is cool!

I won't tell you what the elevation gain on my cyclosport showed, though