Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ride the Rockies

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am considering registering for ride the rockies. I would like info and advice from anyone who has done the ride or is familar with it. Mostly concerned about the difficulty and training involved. I live in IN-very flat, on a daily ride an overpass would be considered a hill. I have done a few rides that were hilly never mountains.

Ride the Rockies

Hello! I live in Colorado and have done Ride the Rockies twice. I have a newborn, so I can't do it this year - wish I could!

My advice - JUST DO IT!!! Train as much as you can and do some strength training for your legs. Some lung work would be good too - swimming, running sprints, etc.

A friend of mine from Scotland did RTR with me in '99. She did minimal training at sea level and did fine. As a matter of fact, she beat me every day, and I trained at altitude often.

So I say to you, ATTITUDE will conquer ALTITUDE. Do the ride - it's an incredibly beautiful route. You'll be thrilled forever that you did it!!!!

Thank you for the reply!

shhhhh... i'm entered too, but i didn't want to tell anyone - i want to stack the odds in my favor! shhhh - we don't want anyone else to know about it!

Sparky,

I've done RtR twice. Loved it both times. It is an incredible ride. Super well-organized.

I am from Iowa. We have no altitude! (Attitude, yes, altitude, no.) I live by the Mississippi ride, tho', so have lots of hills. That's what I rode. I rode the hills. Every hill I could find. And then I rode them some more. I learned to love the hills and climbing. RtR was challenging, yes, but not to the point that I couldn't enjoy the ride, the people, and the beautiful vistas. Not to the point of exhaustion.
    I rode past many people on the climbs. I noticed the altitude, but it didn't make it impossible, just a bit slower. Hydrate well. That is important. Enjoy all the beauty around you. Talk to people riding. Do not stress out. You will be fine. Train as much as you can and then just go and ride.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

My buddy Bob Nelson from NYC is riding it this year. If anybody is going and happens to see him, surprise him with a big ol hug from me (uh, he knows me as Gena )

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

So... do we have anyone from TE on this ride?

I've traded a few text msgs with my friend Bob, am awaiting word from him for today's stage (day 4).

spazzdog

p.s. there's no day-to-day coverage on the site, but here are the daily elevation profiles: http://www.ridetherockies.com/?page=route&profiles=yes
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Unhappy 5,500 to 11,000 in 19 miles!!

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    there's no day-to-day coverage on the site, but here are the daily elevation profiles: http://www.ridetherockies.com/?page=route&profiles=yes
    Day 2 looks pretty challenging!

Yeah, it didn't look like a lot of giggles.

Bob txt me the following at the end of that day: "GrandMesa was a pain but i got thru it"

better him than me spazz
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

My husband is out in Colorado right now acclimating for Tour of Colorado which is this Saturday or Sunday. It's 5 days and 500 miles. Then he's going to do the Triple Bypass a week later which is 3 mountain passes in one day and 120 miles. It amazes me but if you've got the will you can do anything.

I ride the Vail Pass during the summer and find that challenging, but no doubt if you have the will you can ride anything.

Cool Vkb!

Perhaps you can supply us with his ride reports (during or after). Just start a thread for that ride and keep us informed. You never know when a TE grrl willl choose a ride and the posted info will be very useful.

good luck to your hubby!
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    So... do we have anyone from TE on this ride?
    If I remember correctly, Audio-A is on this ride. I am heading out on Sat to do the Bike Tour of Colorado. I'll post a write-up when I get back in case anyone is interested in trying out the ride in the future.

Great skibum! Can't wait to read your report.

As for Ride the Rockies; today is day 5, Gunnison to Salida. It includes the climb (and descent ) of Monarch Pass, a 3000' climb in 10 miles.

My head hurts just thinkin' about it
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Thumbs up RTR experience

Just got back from Ride the Rockies, and WHEW! what a ride. Day two WAS a trip -- 92 miles, with a 7,000-foot elevation climb squeezed into 20 of those miles. People dropping off the road like flies, retching, head-between-the-knees ... They bussed a good third of the riders off the mountain halfway up. But gorgeous scenery, great rides all the way thru. Made me decide Triple Bypass may just be doable... Anyone else back from RTR?

I'm back too! Loved every single minute of it! Even that Day 2 monster. It was a great challenge for someone like me, with limited climbing skills. I just found my cadence and just worked away at it, and made it to the top - with the considerable support and encouragement of a very patient boyfriend!! It was a great day. I didn't see the folks head-between-the-knees, but I can see why! The climb started after 38 miles of hot, flat riding, so it was a long day. The rest of the ride was amazing. I felt that once I 'conquered' day 2 with no major problems, I could relax and enjoy the other climbs. Monarch was gorgeous, and Fremont Pass was the perfect finish for a great ride. I can't wait to get back out there. I'm already trying to figure out which one to do next year - Ride the Rockies or Bicycle Tour of Colorado. I might just do both!!!!