Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Show me your best

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everyone,

I'm new at this so bear with me - this is my first post.

My husband and I are coming to NZ at the end of Feb. for three week of mountain biking and sightseeing. I need your help. There seems to be sooooo many trails and so little time. Can you help me narrow the list of must ride trails?

We are both experienced mountain bikers. We live in Boulder Colorado USA and have ridden in Utah (Moab and St. George). We won't really be set up to camp and to do overnight biking trips but would like to do 2-5 hour rides. We will be making the tour around the south island. Christchurch - Kaikoura - Nelson - Christchurch - Mt. Cook - Queenstown - Te Anau - Dunedin - Christchurch. We aren't looking for the most killer trails but more those with special character, like really fun or really spectacular, etc.

We are VERY EXCITED about coming and have been reading and planning for quite a while. Please let me know your favorite trails (I mean "tracks" - got to get into the local language) and any tips you may have for me.

Thanks loads,
    Nancy

kennett

Best bet is to pick up a copy of the NZ mtn biking bible by the Kennett Brothers. You can find it at ground effect. www.groundeffect.co.nz

They also may have some good info on trails..being Ch'ch based.

have fun

Yes - I've got it but hard to tell which ones are the really great trails.

Thanks

thumbs

Ah I see. I thought the really cool trails were marked with a thumbs up sign...At least the copy I used to have did..

have you also tried vorb.. www.vorb.org.nz It's a nz mtn biking site

I'm not really a mountain biker - so from a first-hand experience I am no good to you.

If you in to Hawkes Bay - get in touch with the Hawkes Bay Mountain Bike Club - its the biggest MtnBike club in NZ.

One of my training buddies did the Queen Charlotte track at the top of the South Island a summer or two back with her sister. They absolutely raved about it and had me convinced that I should do it. I understand there are different difficulty levels of tracks for the differences in ability of riders available.

When we down in the South Island, they have turned part of the old main trunk line into a bike/horse trail... I would like to do that, although given that it follows an old railway line it probably is not too technical or difficult.

Have fun Hawk
    We have a pretty little country here.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Show me your best

Congratulations on a your great results It says a lot for their temperaments that they can go to a show once a year and enjoy it

Fantastic mountain biking trails can be found in almost every corner of New Zealand, offering rides for all abilities, interests and itineraries. Although most trails explore natural places, they are seldom far from towns and villages where bike shops and mountain biking tour operators can assist both guided and independent riders. Advanced riders looking for big adventure can sign up for downhill thrills with alpine heli-biking.

One of my training buddies did the Queen Charlotte track at the top of the South Island a summer or two back with her sister. They absolutely raved about it and had me convinced that I should do it. I understand there are different difficulty levels of tracks for the differences in ability of riders available.

Wow! Waiting ton hear how did It go in Queen Charlotte track. Should try it myself sometime!