Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow and it's really great. No pain at all, even after several hours.

Exclamation HELP! I'm numb!

I'm happy to see this thread is still fairly active...I am unsure where to turn for some info.
    To make a long story short, I am a fairly new cyclist (started riding a little more seriously approx. 9 months ago). I have always exercised in one form or another, and started participating in sprint triathlons last Aug. Background provided to explain I am not a couch potato having suddenly ventured into endurance sports. . .
    Nonetheless, two weeks ago, spur of the moment and on a slightly too large rented road bike (a really good one, but a 54 cm instead of my usual 52) I did the Death Valley Century. I had no idea I was going to do it, but did--and am still suffering the consequences. My entire crotch is numb. It doesn't hurt, it is simply numb. This numbness is most apparent when I wipe with toilet paper (and "enjoy intimacy", as they say in genteel conversation with my fiance). The inner tissue is not as affected as the outer. It had appeared to have improved just a little, but I tried to ride again (this time on my bike with a terry butterfly saddle) but even 53 miles seems to have set it back to where it was two weeks ago.
    ANyone out there ever experience complete numbness? How long does it last? I assume I have caused some nerve damage; so I need to stop riding completely until it is no longer numb? This of course would be horribly frustrating as I am registered for my first tri in May, and the Sante Fe Century a week later, and am hoping to do a cycling tour for my honeymoon in AUgust. . .
    Help!

Did you ever purchase the Terry Falcon X. I've been riding for two years now on the same seat and have the exact same issues you've described. I believe a new seat is in order

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    If my saddle gave me a numb crotch for days after riding, I'd be buying and testing different saddles like crazy to avoid that.
    Circulatory and nerve damage can become permanent.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unhappy Numbness

Yes, nerve damage is exactly what I'm worried about--it never occurred to me that more than TWO weeks after the ride I'd still have so much numbness. It has improved a little, but only a little. That there has been ANY improvement makes me feel a little better--but after trying to ride yesterday, on a good saddle that has never caused trouble--I am wondering if I should stop riding completely until this clears up. I'm hoping someone it out there that has had the same experience--I know bodies differ, but i'm sure there's an average recovery time--and it would be helpful to know what I'm looking at. 6 weeks? 8 weeks?
    It's sure hard not to be discouraged.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    Yes, nerve damage is exactly what I'm worried about--it never occurred to me that more than TWO weeks after the ride I'd still have so much numbness. It has improved a little, but only a little. That there has been ANY improvement makes me feel a little better--but after trying to ride yesterday, on a good saddle that has never caused trouble--I am wondering if I should stop riding completely until this clears up. I'm hoping someone it out there that has had the same experience--I know bodies differ, but i'm sure there's an average recovery time--and it would be helpful to know what I'm looking at. 6 weeks? 8 weeks?

If it's any help, my DH had problems with one saddle- he did a century on it and was suddenly very numb afterwards....and the numbness wasn't going away. He changed saddles and eased up a bit on riding, and the numbness very slowly went away- but it took about 3 months to completely disappear. Happily, it did disappear, and now he can ride as much as he wants on the new saddle. The 'bad' saddle is relegated now to his errand bike which only goes on very short trips around town. No more problems.
    So don't get too scared....but do change your saddle! You may have to try several before you hit on one that works well for you.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've never bruised a nerve "down there," but I've bruised nerves in my thumb and in my brachial plexus and it's taken months to recover. If that's any comfort to you...

I would DEFINITELY avoid doing anything that might cause further damage though!!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    Please do NOT get on that saddle. If I were your doctor (and that's who I think you should be talking to) I'd tell you to swim and run until you get your feeling back. IF you get it back. meanwhile, I suggest you go and get a professional fit, because if a "good" saddle has the same effect, it might also be the way you are sitting on it. Define good saddle. define saddle,
    I'm curious what you've tried.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Several years ago I had an area on my leg that was numb. The dr. called it "swashbuckler's disease." It was nerve damage. It took months for it to come back. But on the leg is a lot easier to deal with than what you're describing. I also had a friend who had it on one foot--from shoes being too tight. Good luck. I hope you heal quickly.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Thanks for all the input, everyone. Since the cycle I rode in the Century was a rented bike that my fiance arranged for me (himself an endurance athlete with four ironman finished under his belt--i.e., not a slug or slacker, so he chose carefully) I have no idea what that saddle was.
    Yesterday was my first day back on a bike after 2+ weeks; I rode a Lemond with a Terry butterfly saddle.
    Since I do triathlon, I too have determined that it is best I stay off the saddle and run, swim and dance (which I also do) as my forms of exercise until the numbness completely abates. From what I've been able to research on the net, the point of trauma is the pudendal artery which controls blood flow to the urethra, clitoris and vagina. (A woman named Dr. Collins in the process of conducting a multi-year study specifically on women cyclists to address our health issues.) This atery is the female equivalent of the perineum artery, which is the one that causes male cyclists' genital problems. In both men and women, the artery in question is flattened after prolonged pressure is applied. It does appear that I have not caused permanent nerve damage but that the blood flow was constricted, is still constricted, and will simply take time to regain normal levels of blood flow while the artery regains its natural shape.
    That's what I've learned so far. Big Fat Drag.
    But at least I really don't think it's permanent.
    Once healed, I will shop for the saddle that is right for my anatomy. In the meantime, I'm learning a lot.

Red face For future reference. . .

I'm putting in an "update" for reference purposes for others, since there is SO LITTLE about female-specific cycling health specifically pertaining to the soft tissue/crotch issues. I have spent lots of time on the net, have spoken to two PTs (one who specializes in women's groin/pelvic girdle health issues), and a GP. It is the pudendal NERVE (not artery) that has been compressed. It is very rarely a permanent injury. It is a slow healer--we're looking at easily 6 weeks. There is not a lot one can do to speed the healing process, but the pelvic health PT recommended icing. . .fun!
    In the meantime, I can finally tell that some healing progress has been made--but I'm still pretty numb. I did a careful spin yesterday on a very upright bike, and alternated sitting way back on the hip bones to spin with being up out of the saddle to spin--one position per song, so I was up 50% of the time. It does not seem to have had an adverse effect.
    So that's the scoop! As they say, all's well that ends well!

Person who rode in jean shorts and a maxi pad -ouch! Just the thought of the jean seam makes me cringe and maxi pads I find, tend to 'dry' you out and cause chafing. I noticed this in a spin class. Get some bike shorts, even without chamois!

I have been riding a mens selle italia as my other saddle seems to have hit the bermuda triangle, in the ordering.Ouch! Better than old one( it was too wide at front) but man,no cut out. <Mens saddles suit me better, as I have narrow sit bones but thank god new one ( selle something, cant recall but is men, has ciut outs, and nose is slightly canted down.)
    Orbea, has terry butterflys on their lower ends, but the better bike have selle italia.

Im finding that all shorts give me chafing on side of girly bits. Is it because they are mens? The cheap ones of course arent as good as moulded ones, but do I really need all this padding?
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

I just started riding (yay!) with the intention of commuting 5.5 miles each way to work - in NYC! I went out for a 15 mile ride (totally nothing compared to all of you but hey, its been a while) and wow was I bruised! I'm just starting to feel better now (day 4) and plan on riding to work tomorrow, and will promptly get a new saddle as apparently the one that's on my bike is not so good for me! It has the cut out, but I think the nose is too wide. I also believe it is too cushy for my tush because I keep sliding off from one side to the other. Thanks for the recommendations! The expression on the bike shop guy's face will be priceless tomorrow!

Brachial Plexus injury pain lasting months?! Groan. I'm dealing with that now too - its been about a month and the pain has flared up again.

Thank goodness I've found ladies with similar problems

Hi folks, I'm brand new here and I've got more info on here in the last few minutes than I have had in the last two months from my bike shop and bike nut husband.

I've only recently taken up road biking in anticipation of a big event I've got in a months time. I got a Trek 1.2 WSD and love it but am now on a test saddle trying that out. I get a cut between my inner and outer ladybits and abrasions elsewhere on them I believe purely because they are much larger than normal. Of course I don't want to have such discussions with the nice man at my local bike shop and I certainly ain't going to show him.

I am going in for an event that will be 81 miles and mostly I'd been doing 40 mile training runs but recovering quickly. At the weekend however I did 68 miles. After 15 I had to stop and adjust the saddle and borrow a friend's gel seat cover. Felt like I had a boat between my legs but I got round OK. Trouble is I also got a burning pain between my shoulder blades. After I got back I recovered pretty quickly but went out on a 28 mile ride three days later and I'm in agony. Cuts everywhere and my neck and vertebrae feel like there is something wriggling around in there coupled with the burning.

I feel really because my legs are fine and I'm really getting into the rides but I'm scared to get back on the bike because of the pain elsewhere. I've only got a month to go before the event. My bike is in for some nipping and tweaking to the handlebars to try to remedy the neck pain but it's now 2 days since my last ride and it's still burning.

1) what are you wearing in the way of shorts/tights?

and

2) what's the old saddle, and what saddle are you currently testing?
    By charity, goodness, restraint, and self-control men and woman alike can store up a well-hidden treasure -- a treasure which cannot be given to others and which robbers cannot steal. A wise person should do good. That is the treasure that cannot be lost.
    - Khuddhaka Patha

The word of God comes down to man as rain to soil, and the result is mud, not clear water
    - The Sufi Junayd