Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by greenme View Post
    I guess my question is: Must I expect some sort of discomfort with any saddle I use and just aim to minimize it? Or is it possible to be totally comfortable, saddle-wise?
    It is possible to be totally comfortable on rides that are not long *for you*. I think that even the best matched saddle to your own anatomy is going to be a bit uncomfy on your longest ride(s) ever (for example, on a century, if you normally ride 20-50 miles, say; or on a 10 mile ride if you normally ride only 2-3 at a time), but you will "toughen up" over time.

A saddle that doesn't fit you right may only get worse over time rather than better, like one I recently sold. I didn't realize that it was just too narrow for my sit bones. I had a chronic saddle sore (I mean, it was there for a YEAR! ) that I could not get rid of even after several months away from cycling. That saddle would never have worked for me.

With a saddle that fits your anatomy, it will be better each time you ride. Starting out, you might get some soft-tissue pain after just a few miles, but if you ride consistently, you'll be able to ride further and further each time with no pain. I did a nine-day bike tour in 2004 in which I rode an average of 100K (63 miles) daily (no rest days!) on a Terry Butterfly saddle and had no unusual saddle problems. Sure, I suspect I was uncomfy at the end of the day and ready to get off the saddle, but nothing I can even recall now. So yes, a saddle CAN be comfortable! It can take awhile to find the one that is right for you, however.

Good luck!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Another factor to keep in mind is that the more leaning forward (racing posture) you are on your bike, the less your weight will be on your sitbones (where it is comfortable to sit) and the more your weight will be on your sensitive soft front parts. Personally, I suspect much of this women's biking pain has more to do with how we sit as opposed to how 'bad' the saddle is.

And Rowboatgirl- are you leaning forward and down more when you climb hills? Maybe that's why there is more pressure then. Try going up hills in a lower easier gear, 'spinnning' up the hill and staying more relaxed with a slightly more upright posture.

One more thing- too many people "sit" on their bikes like it was a chair- with all their weight on their butt. It helps to think of yourself as "walking" on your bike, and to try to distribute your weight more evenly between your hands, butt, and FEET. When we put more weight on our feet and think of riding like walking, it alleviates pressure on the saddle parts. Think about it next time you are on your bike, and see if this mental adjustment doesn't make you feel more like you are floating on your bike instead of just sitting on it.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    When we put more weight on our feet and think of riding like walking, it alleviates pressure on the saddle parts.
    This definitely helps me quite a bit on longer rides. Even very slight inclines can give you a little extra resistance on the pedals, and I try to take advantage of that extra resistance by engaging my glutes and letting my butt float on top of the saddle a little. Combining that with occasionally standing up for shorter climbs has significantly increased the amount of time I'm able to be comfy "in the saddle".
    I don't crash so much anymore (less blood on the trail), so just call me Stephanie

I'll tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world. I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Hi all, I'm new here!

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with the non cut-out saddles - after 2 hours or so, everything just goes numb - butt, nether regions, and it started to creep down my leg. I found relief with the Specialized Toupe saddle. It has a cutout and looks like the world's skinniest, skimpiest saddle, but the way the whole shell of the saddle flexes, it's incredible and solved my numbness issues....definitely worth a shot!

Unhappy Soft Tissue Pain

I'm new to forum and joined specifically because of the sore girly parts. Last year did the Southern Tier trip with WomanTours and was in the saddle for 50/58 days. For almost all of those days (like many of my fellow travelers) I had saddle pain. I tried switching saddles (went to Serfas) mid-tour and it was no better. When I returned home, I tried Terry Butterfly, and had even more pain. Switched to Selle Italia and rode out the season with it, satisfied. This past weekend, rode three days, a couple of them hard and had to pitifully ride into parking lot. Post-ride, I hurt so bad my husband could see it in my face. AARGH. I fear that my Selle Italia is not the saddle for consecutive, hard ride days. I am thinking of trying the Terry Falcon X, as my sitbones are 140 cm. I am not a racer by any means and have been professionally fitted by my bicycle shop (and am comfortable in every other area on my Serotta bicycle).

Has anyone tried the Falcon? Thoughts? other suggestions?

I once asked a very close (male) friend of mine who is an ex-racer, "why dont women enter the really big bike races very much?"

Of course, he didn't have an educated reply like "because nobody makes the perfect saddle yet" lol, but instead something about "women dont have the same endurance/leg power/ blah blah blah..."

anyway, I wanted to contribute my saddle experience so far, I can use non-cut-out saddles at all, so bought a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow and after a few adjustments, it's finally working for me

...now to deal with the chamois issues....

Finally I discovered my problem… I was always complained about my intimate parts being totally on fire after a long ride, especially if I sweat too much or if for any reason I wet my butt on a river or something!

My riding girlfriends sometimes complain about it too, but not with the same regularity as me, and until today when I finally read about the size of labia I was still wondering "what it’s wrong with me"…

Now that I’m aware about it I can finally understand, but still I get the feeling that is a problem that will persist forever!

I bought a new saddle a few months ago (Selle Italia SLK Lady Gel Flow) and I’m feeling better on the front, although considering that is more tough saddle, in long rides sometimes I end with a bit of “buttache”
    Soraia

I've just been silly and posted a similar thread before checking if there was one already going. Sorry.
    I suffer the same problem - most likely larger than average bits (but i haven't compared either! )
    I wonder if anyone has tried these saddles?
    http://www.spongywonder.com/bikeseat.htm
    As i said in my post - I see how all the Olypics track girls sit right up on the front tip of their saddles. Does this mean a noseless saddle is a big no-no?
    it looks perfect to me

I bought one of the many varieties of the two-pad saddles a few years ago.

Scared the cr*p out of me, because it had no nose and very little contact, so suddenly I'd lost my means of controlling the bike! The only way I could ride with that saddle was if I plopped my butt down heavily and stayed that way.

Riding style is very important with this kind of saddle. I tend to dance with the bike more than sit on it, so it just didn't work for me.

Try one if it interests you, they are definitely a memorable experience! (whether it works for you or not, it is a hoot to ride on!)

I'm a member of the Brooks Cult, and have multiple B67 saddles. When you find the saddle that works for you, buy LOTS!!!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Calvario301 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried pointing the nose of the saddle down ever so slightly?
    Yes definitely. I'm using my stock saddle, selle italia initiale. It's a men's seat i guess, but i pointed it down a little. takes significant pressure off the important bits.

some might disagree, but then a bike fit is just an estimate really based on someone elses measurements. Individually it's a whole different story. a straight saddle doesnt really make sense to me, coz the moment you lean forward a little all yr parts are pressed in, and since we road bike.. we're always leaning forward.

using jojoba oil generously down there and shaving clean before long rides also help alot. I get that burning sensation if i don't use the oil.

ain't tryin be graphic either but so new to bikin!

O.k. all you people that know what you are doing, i think i need advice. i just started biking on a beach cruiser a year ago, even got run over in november. bike is o.k., i've been riding it this summer to the american river about 30 miles out. I had a major embarassing problem the first time. I was out all day in longish cut-off jean shorts and a ( maxi-pad) I 'm serious here. not joking. never rode my bike that far before. when i got home, burning upon bathroom, has this ever happened to anyone before? so sorry, but we are all women here right?

Smile

I have a Giant Innova hybrid with shock post - the original saddle was very uncomfortable. And yes, I had the burning, etc. after my first 15 mile ride. We went back to our bike shop and each purchased a Rav-X gel cutout unisex seat (The women’s model was too narrow for me). It is very comfortable and my husband, who wasn’t having any issues with his old seat, said it was better and he did not even realize how uncomfortable his old seat was until he switched. I have not ridden in cycling shorts yet (saving up for them), but I ride with my workout slacks and shirt and have not had any more issues with saddle sores/burning.

Smile Help for "Girly Bits" Discomfort

I having started using the ReSkin product after I read about it in this thread. It really does the trick for me. They are expensive but worth it for me. They now have some distributors here in the US -- I was able to get the distributor here in Portland, OR to ship to me direct.

Linkbeak
    Joyce

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow Joyce, this is your second post here in.... five and a half years on TE?
    What a chatterbox!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdoride View Post
    Has anyone tried the Falcon? Thoughts? other suggestions?
    I tried the Falcon X. I ended up sending it back, but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I got it because of pain in the front, and it did solve that problem, but my back side felt bruised even after several long rides. I know that sit bone pain isn't supposed to be as much of an issue, but it was pretty painful so I sent it back. I am now trying a butterfly, and am waiting to do some longer rides on it before I decide.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator