Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Mmm. I'm shopping for new shorts now. I'm pretty restricted in what I can buy because I'm an XL (Misses size 16 to 18).

I've been using Terry shorts but current pair "bunches up" to the left of the midline. Last couple of times that I rode--it didn't hurt when I was on the bike, but when I got off, for about 24 to 36 hours afterwards, it burned when I urinated and when I bathed. It only burns on the left side. Hence, I've been thinking it's the shorts, but the bike is new, saddle is new. I've been in for one fit adjustment and possibly need another, though I'm not able to ride enough right now to tell.

I have chamois buttr but haven't been using it on shorter rides (under an hour-hour and a half). I guess I need to use it regardless of ride length.

My friend who is a a consistent winner/age group placer in marathons, half-marathons and triathlons agrees and we both understand how/why someone would consider something as radical as labia reduction surgery. I imagine this is a "normal" anatomical variation and more common than we ever thought about.

The older we get, the further down all of it hangs!!!

Good luck finding a saddle that's comfy.
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/

SbS... there is alot of discussion here about whether women should wear male or female specific shorts.

I am guessing I am a similar size to you (I weigh 99kg and am 5'10") and all my shorts are mens design.

They fit, they don't bunch and they last well. They could be an option if you haven't tried them out.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    SbS... there is alot of discussion here about whether women should wear male or female specific shorts.

I am guessing I am a similar size to you (I weigh 99kg and am 5'10") and all my shorts are mens design.

They fit, they don't bunch and they last well. They could be an option if you haven't tried them out.
    I wear mens shorts as well and usually buy the inexpensive ones with minimal padding. Seems the more padding there is the more it wads up and rubs.

Electra Townie 7D

Yeah... same as you too Queen - the thicker the pad the more difficult it is for me to get comfy - though I do want a bit of padding

For me, getting the seat at the right angle, the right tilt and the right ammount forward/back on the post is perhaps more important now I am understanding more about how I fit on a bike (only taken me nearly two years of racing to finally realise this is what works for me!)

This female issue's are common around the world sadly but true.

The causes can be many things from a adjustment type of thing to accepting that there is 'down under' things that make cycling not very comfortable.

Fortunately there is just recently a thing called 'Reskin' from Bioracer
    http://www.reskin.eu/
    It's a patch that can be used several times and also on the female zone.

There are some reviews on the internet.

For the moment i don't suffer the mentioned problems (yet), but i do understand that saddle issue's in itself can ruin one's hobby tremendously.

I hope this can reduce the saddle problems a bit.

Good luck and i hope the best of it for all that suffer from this problem.

Has anyone ever tried pointing the nose of the saddle down ever so slightly?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvario301 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried pointing the nose of the saddle down ever so slightly?
    Done.

And it made a world of difference! I'll not say I'm in love with my saddle, but after having gone through an agonizingly painful, year-long search before I found this one, I'm more than happy to stick with it. Things can't be too bad if there weren't any issues after 160 miles in the saddle for RAIN Ride.
    "If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

Hills, Saddles and lady bits

Another quick question on this topic...

I am a relative newbie riding a Giant with the saddle that came on the bike. I expected (and have been riding with) a certain level of discomfort, though after reading through the forum I think I can definitely improve on how I feel on rides by trying out some different saddles.

My major question is when I am climbing hills I feel like the girlie bits are completely on FIRE!! It can be just horrific. Honestly it is the worst part of the hill climb for me...it even trumps the burning lungs and any leg fatigue I might have. When I get to the point when it is completely unbearable I stand up to release some of the pressure and heat but obviously I try not to do this too much as it saps my energy...especially in the middle of a long climb. Is this a normal part of climbing or am I just in serious need of a new saddle??

Thanks so much guys and I have been SO EXCITED to find this forum with such amazing women on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by rowboatgirl View Post
    Another quick question on this topic...

I am a relative newbie riding a Giant with the saddle that came on the bike. I expected (and have been riding with) a certain level of discomfort, though after reading through the forum I think I can definitely improve on how I feel on rides by trying out some different saddles.

My major question is when I am climbing hills I feel like the girlie bits are completely on FIRE!! It can be just horrific. Honestly it is the worst part of the hill climb for me...it even trumps the burning lungs and any leg fatigue I might have. When I get to the point when it is completely unbearable I stand up to release some of the pressure and heat but obviously I try not to do this too much as it saps my energy...especially in the middle of a long climb. Is this a normal part of climbing or am I just in serious need of a new saddle??
    OUCH!! I vote for starting the saddle search ASAP!

What Giant are you riding, and what saddle is on it? Been there, done that with my Giant -- wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    "If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

It really shouldn't hurt.

It is *not* a normal part of climbing.

Sounds like time to begin the search for the saddle of your dreams.

Start by measuring your sit bones to get an idea of minimum saddle width (there's a thread about that somewhere in "Favorite Saddles") and reading the specs on various saddles.

You can also do the "do I need a cut-out" test. (sit on the front of a hard wooden chair in your underwear. keeping your back straight, hinge forward at your hips until you can rest your elbows on your knees. if your girly bits feel smooshed and uncomfortable in this position, you might want to investigate cut-out saddles)

Saddle shape preference ("T" vs. "pear") is a very individual thing, and I don't know of any short-cuts to discovering the shape you need. Try a saddle, note the chafing pattern (if any) and change accordingly.

Sheldon Brown has a spiffy page of saddle info: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Red face So GLAD I'm not alone!

I'm right there with you! I have tried to express to my husband how uncomfortable I am with my saddle (it's the one that came with my bike) but he doesn't think I could possibly have it as bad as he does w/ HIS anatomy. (Apparently, riding on tiny little seats with the twig & berries crammed into skintight pants isn't so comfy for the men, either.)

Personally, riding on my stock saddle has given me SO much pain that I haven't gone riding in over 4 years. I kind of became hopeless. I started out with NO knowledge of proper cycling gear and I am ashamed that I gave up so easily... but riding just HURT! (I'll spare you the details!)

I'm now educating myself about the multitude of options that I actually have as far as making myself more comfortable while riding.

Needless to say, the first thing on my shopping list (well, besides KNICKERS) will be a new saddle.

I'm so glad this thread was posted & that it has so many responses that are helpful. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has experienced discomfort with her 'lady bits'!

Hills, Saddles and lady bits

Thanks guys! I guess it's off to get a new saddle before my century in September! And the "how to measure your girly bits" advice is AWESOME! I wasn't quite sure how to go about that whole process!

Oh and I'm riding a Giant FCR 2 W...I know it's not a super fast, awesome road bike, but it's a start and I'm going to ride it as hard and fast as possible until I can afford an upgrade!
    Last edited by rowboatgirl; 04-17-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Tender bits n watch the kidneys

I know from experience that you gotta take care of what you sit on. I always thought a chamois was so important well now I'm finding out that all it does for me now is sand the bits and they aren't really happy about that at all. I got a kidney infection from poor hydration and just being sloppy about hydration and hygeine (okay I fell asleep and didn't shower after) so I'm on the bench. I'm one of those women that if I don't urinate and rinse after sex, bike riding and swimming I'm sure to get either a UTI or a kidney infection if I ignore it. But for me, the big change I'm finding is riding with just normal shorts that are tight, such as a pair of Russell athletic shorts. Try it if you keep getting the bits sanded, you might not need the chamois at all. Now for mtn biking, I'm fine with a chamois, it's just when I ride on the road I can't take the chamois. I have a Terry Butterfly on my mtn bike and the stock saddle on my commuter bike. I'm switching the butterfly back and forth now as well because well, that stock saddle is not nice. It's really crazy how the cutout makes such a difference!

Hi - I also have this problem - after having two kids, the girly bits are not as tucked in as they used to be. I am on a Dolce elite from Specialized. And am using the saddle it came with. I always get cut up on one side of the bits. I was wearing shorts that were too big (they were old). I just got two new pairs and am gonna buy that Terry Falcon X next. So thanks for the ideas!

how much comfort is possible?

(New to posting but have learnt much lurking.)

Just wondering how much comfort should I expect when trying new saddles and or positions. I recently tried The Comfort Seat which has no horn and it was way worse than the seat that came with my bike.

I commute everyday to work and was just able to do my return trip before I needed to get that killer off my bike. Obviously my sit bones didn't match up with the design of the seat as every stroke felt like I was rolling my bones over a wooden surface. The bruise is just about gone now. I will be returning it. There was another hornless seat (I liked that part) which I will try but don't recall its name.

I guess my question is: Must I expect some sort of discomfort with any saddle I use and just aim to minimize it? Or is it possible to be totally comfortable, saddle-wise?

If it helps, my commute is about 7km one way and I do it in about 1/2 hour. (I'm in no hurry to get to work.)