Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

OOOOWWWWIIIEEEE - the shoulder, not the riding nikked part.

Healing vibes coming your way.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Wow. Nuts to this crap! Who would believe it?

It must be time for me to send you another book...
    Yeah, and send me to Hawaii where read your last book...

I'm actually really lucky. And I got a cool new sling that's lighter and leaves my hand free. So although I have to hunch over the key board, I can type with 2 hands now - which is huge for me, from an occupational standpoint.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Oh - and yes, in spite of the new, cool sling, there are downers. They won't know how the displaced bone will affect my range of motion long term. But it is NOT surgical, so there's nothing they can do. Ok. Whatever.

But I also didn't state the positives:

The joint all seems to be in place. (The who top part came apart together.) So that's good.

The other thing which I am using in a positive way from this (a demonstrative tool for my coachees) - HELMETS. Mine is toast. Completely compressed at the temple. The noise my head made when it hit the ground was startling. (And of course there's the road rash on my chin. ) But I had not so much as a headache.

Helmets work, folks.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

ow

OWIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ..make that double owieeeeeeeeeeee

Yep, helmets work!

MP-I had a thought/theory on why your right lever may have been smushed...Did you twist in any way by chance on your way down? When i mistook the sidewalk for flat ground in 06 i hit the left side of my head but my right brake lever was pushed in. Just a theory but then again i'm not great at theories..Newton i'm not

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    (a demonstrative tool for my coachees) - HELMETS. Mine is toast. Completely compressed at the temple.
    Yep. Before the owner of my former LBS retired, he was still using the helmet I crashed in in 1987 as a sales demo. I had a pretty dang good concussion as it was... but I'm still here, and so is that 2 cm deep depression in the EPS in that hat (in those days, they were that thick). Good on yer for wearing yours.

PS any time I've crashed I've always had marks all over me and no idea how they got there. Road rash on my right side from when I smacked my left side hard on the ground. No clue.

Dam mp - that's scary. Next time you make it down here, the polenta is on me!

MP - the reason why it's not surgical is that they would have to go in there and find ways to join all those bits together which is really hard because the bone is shaped such that you can't use screws and it would be impossible to wrap it in wire to try to hold everything together, that would mess with the muscles too much and likely leave worse off.

The good news is that it will heal. You might always have small floaty bits but it will heal. You will likely have some long term loss of ROM, most likely reaching overhead and behind the back. But you'll be able to ride no problem.

Take care. I'm going to google some stuff tomorrow and if I learn anything else I'll let you know.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Wow Sarah!! You don't mess around when you break something do you? I'm glad they expect it to heal up and you don't have to have surgery.

BTW - I think this gets you out of cooking, cleaning the house, and laundry for a long, long time.

Electra Townie 7D

ow ow ow ow ow. Just looking at the diagram makes me hurt. Are you in a lot of pain?

Karen

All I can say to that picture is ! That's about the scariest image I've seen in a while. Wow.

Since you have a proven capacity for healing, I'm not sure this will slow you down much at all! Take very good care!
    Keep calm and carry on...

Wow! You don't do anything half-way, do you? You're such an over-achiever! Nice job!
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

Ai ai ai ai, woman! May the goddess of pain relief smile upon you and may her myriad healing assistants work effectively. Then treat yourself to a gorgeous new helmet, and ... hey, how about some body armour to go with it?
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Ow, ow, owwwww. You're as bad as Evel Knievel.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Girl View Post
    You're such an over-achiever! Nice job!
    I am glad someone recognizes this!!

Thanks guys. It only hurts if I move (laugh, go over a bump in the car) and while trying to get dressed, showered. That really hurts.

Wahine thanks for the info. Yeah I completely understand why it's not surgical - that bone's way too thin to attach anything to anyway. Any info on ROM stuff for when I am mobile is appreciated. I will have PT eventually.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I am glad someone recognizes this!!

Thanks guys. It only hurts if I move (laugh, go over a bump in the car) and while trying to get dressed, showered. That really hurts.

Wahine thanks for the info. Yeah I completely understand why it's not surgical - that bone's way too thin to attach anything to anyway. Any info on ROM stuff for when I am mobile is appreciated. I will have PT eventually.
    You should ask the doc if you can take the sling off to fully extend your elbow, 10 reps, every 1 - 2 hours. Lots of times the biceps will get tight and limit elbow extension if you don't have opportunity to straighten it out for extended periods. You don't need any other problems from using the sling. You've got enough to deal with.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS