Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Dropping in, saying hello

To disable ads, please log-in.

Haven't posted in years, but thought I'd drop by and say hello.

Some of us members from days past left when the forum was constantly besieged with spam and trolls, especially when some of that spam and trolling was sexually abusive. Not sure who gets credit for cleaning that mess up and making this a safe place, now, but I see that Trek 420 has been faithful to the forum for a long time, so maybe that's where credit is due. If so, thank you, Trek 420. If nothing else, I suspect Trek 420 has saved this from from extinction, so thank-you, again.

Anyway, by way of introduction or re-introduction my name is Joanie and I am a bike and recumbent bike and trike addict. I'm in my 70s, now, and have been struggling with some health issues, but I still ride, both serious trail riding with my mtbs and road riding, both gravel and pavement. There isn't a type of bike that I haven't owned and/or still own and ride, so I'm pretty universal in my cycling tastes. I live in the far north, in serious snow country, so snow biking with fat bikes is also very much a part of our long, snowy winters. So is XC skiing.

I've now added e-bikes and e-trikes to the collection and learning as I go, same as everyone else going e. Be glad to share what I've learned. Just let me know.

Given how many bikes I still own, I do most of my own bike repair and maintenance, so if anyone has questions on repair/maintenance, again, let me know. Be glad to help and I'll do my best not to get too geeky.

Lastly, let me add how important I think it is for women to have a cycling forum where we can feel safe and not threatened and intimidated. Thank-you for that.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 04-06-2023 at 08:41 AM.

Howdy! Good to see you. I know I haven't been over to the new forum in a while, been busy.

But yes, every so often I do a little clean up. Also I suspect some of our old mods, who don't post at all, but suspect they are still here and dusting things up around the shelves.

It'd be great to have this place pick back up a bit. There's huge conflict going on at reddit and I suspect some will leave for other options. A common suggestion is going back to "old fashioned" forums. So it is kinda funny that social media such as reddit hurt the forums and now people may want to come back to it.

So by way of re-introduction myself; I started at TE something like 2003, 2005 (I could look it up but I'm lazy). I'm now in my late 60's.

We have 10.5 bikes in our stable (including a recumbent tandem which I count as 1.5. It's not 1. It's not 2. What is it?). Like North Woods Gal I have some health issues but still ride lots. I don't do road rides anymore but we live on the Washington trail system so we really can go far by trail. We sometimes run errands and shopping by bike and just plain ol' fitness riding. I also train in martial arts although that as well I've cut back on; going from Aikido which I trained in heavily since 1980, switched now to Tai Chi because it's easier on the body aaaaaaand I have excellent teachers nearby where I'd have to go pretty far to do Aikido. I've been called "a lifer" in terms of martial arts training. Guess I'll always do it and cycling as long as I can.

It'd be great to see the board pick up.

Welcome new and old.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/