Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bra Allergy? Irritable Boob Syndrome?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The strangest thing is happening to me lately - past three weeks or so.

I'm getting this sort of rash which is basically made up of small, red, dry patches. Some of them are raised and some are not; some are itchy and some are not.

They appear only on skin that is covered by my bra, or the immediate surrounding area. In particular, the sides of my breasts, under/around my armpits, and my collarbone/shoulder area where my bra straps sit. They are not pimples and don't appear to be full of anything - more like bug bites, really.

I thought it was one bra in particular that caused it, f size bra and going bra-less for two days seemed to clear it up a little. However, I'm rather chesty and it's uncomfortable for me to do that. I've been avoiding the bra in question but my other bras seem to be causing irritation just as badly.

Laundry detergent has not changed, perfume/body wash/etc have not changed.

I've read about intertrigo, but as far as I can tell, that generally occurs in folds of skin (typically under the breast) and I don't have any problem there. I'm not sure if it could be chafing - I've gone to a lot of trouble to make sure I'm actually wearing the right bra size and everything. The offending bras are made of nylon and spandex, but I've been wearing the same Body by Victoria bras for years.

Could I have developed an allergy to the materials used? Has anyone experienced something similar? Chafing? Heat rash? I'm going to wear cotton sports bras for a few days to see if they bother me less, but I'm really uncomfortable without underwire.

I know this is an odd question (and an odd place to ask it) but perhaps someone will have a clue what's going on here. Thanks in advance for reading all about my breast problems.

EDIT: Concerning a possible allergy, I am not having any problems with underwear or tights/leggings, most of which are nylon/spandex combinations. Hmm.
    Last edited by analystconsens; 02-10-2022 at 10:51 PM.

Interesting conundrum. But like many things, it's happened before. Hope this helps.

Bump:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2168
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

The material of underwear is the main criterion of its quality. First of all, this, of course, concerns natori unlined underwire. Everything that comes into contact with mucous membranes should not be made of synthetic, breathable materials. Otherwise, there is a thermostat effect: insufficient air exchange increases the existing inflammation, provokes the development of pathogenic flora, and can increase allergic manifestations on the skin. Natural cotton fabric can also absorb natural female secretions, which cannot be said about synthetics.
    Last edited by LucianaFrazier; 11-14-2022 at 01:28 AM.