Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Best Lights

Best Lights

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I recently purchased a Dinotte 200 L helmet light, and the rear tailight, both with the rechargable batteries. All I can say is that these lights are unreal!

The helmet light is very lightweight. I use the two cell battery which is small and can give up to 6 hours of light! I tried mounting the battery on my helmet, but it's just too heavy (it is small but wow, just too much weight for the head). So, as a recumbent rider I tuck it into my front pocket. You upright riders can easily put it in your rear pocket.

The tailight is the MOST amazing light I have every owned. We can look in our mirrors and see the reflection off of the road.

To mount the lights, a helmet mount comes with it. To mount it on your bike, I highly recommend that you get the Terracycle mount. They make one specifically for the Dinotte lights, and their customer service is fantastic.

Dinotte has GREAT customer service, and when you order from their website, free shipping and NO tax!

I also use the 600 L Light & Motion front light. I have to say, this is an INCREDIBLE light. We were riding one night, and a friend drove by us. She called us later and asked if that was us out on the Rio Verde road...we said yes. She said that front light was AMAZING. Light & Motion lights are not cheap, but they are well worth the money.

By the way, a less expensive alternative tailight is the Planet Bike Superflash. Laurie clips this on her rear helmet (tandem riders), and wow, great visibility. I saw a rider with this light on during the day, and it is an increbible light for twenty five dollars.

Dinotte also makes a 600 L light, which I am dying to try. It should match the power of the Light & Motion light.

Lisa
    ICE X2 Tandem
    Aero 24

To add to Lisa's delight with her new Dinotte light, and for anyone looking for more reactions to Dinotte lights, there are 3 positive reviews over on crazyguyonabike:

DiNotte Li-Ion LED Tail Light

Dinotte 500L LED headlight

Dinotte Endurance Li-Ion LED headlight

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Seeing people riding with them is actually making me question the wisdom of super bright head lamps.....

I've noticed that when they are coming towards you, yes you sure can see the light, but the rider completely disappears..... I can't help but wonder if that makes you less safe - no one can see if you are signaling or what your body attitude is. I personally think that, at least in the city where there is a fair amount of ambient light, a flashing light is more noticable than a steady one. Where it is dark- no streetlights- I like a front flasher (well.... several actually - I put one on my bike and a second on my messenger bag) in addition to a steady headlamp.

I do however think that its well worth the investment to get new rear flashers. LEDs have gotten much brighter of the last few years, but I still see lots of people riding around with weak, wimpy little flashing tail lights. I have a really bright one that I found... (the clip was broken, but I finageled a way to strap it onto my bike) and I just got a set of Knogs. They are very bright - especially the front one as I have it on the strap of my bag and it lights up my body as I ride. I keep looking up to make sure the low flying planes aren't mistaking me for runway lights....
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Seeing people riding with them is actually making me question the wisdom of super bright head lamps.....
    I think there are two issues here - to be able to see, and to be seen. I believe that the super bright head lights are needed to light the way of the cyclist. That said, you're right that people need to be very careful about aiming them so that they do not serve to blind oncoming drivers.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg View Post
    I think there are two issues here - to be able to see, and to be seen. I believe that the super bright head lights are needed to light the way of the cyclist. That said, you're right that people need to be very careful about aiming them so that they do not serve to blind oncoming drivers.

--- Denise
    I ride in the city, where for the most part there are streetlights, so I'm also basing my experience from that. There's only a small section of my commute where I there is not enough ambient light to see the road and that is closed to cars so I don't have to worry so much.... In the part where there are no streetlights I use an older halogen Night Rider and it serves well. If I were riding out where it is truely dark, I might feel the need for brighter lighting or at least a wider beam. My impressions about really bright lights are mostly from one particular guy who commutes opposite me. I have yet to see him..... just his light..... he probably should point it more at the ground.

I would really like to see someone kitted up on my bike with my lights to see just how effective they are. I've set it all up and taken a step back, but its not the same as seeing it ride down the street.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post

Funny, my concern is the same as yours from a slightly different perspective, I think.
    I have a very active Mt Bike park near my house. When those guy's ride their bikes with helmet mounted lights they blind cars driving by. It's a very dangerous situation IMHO. You never know when a Mt biker is going to turn a corner and suddenly blind you with a flash, then just as your eyes adapt, they turn again and are gone.
    Based on my experiences with them, I've decided to never where a helmet mount. The guys who put them on their handlebars aren't a problem for some reason.
    Oh, and on topic - I have 1 older 100 L Dinotte, a taillight and just got the newere 200 L. These are great lights. The biggest difference between the 100 and 200 that I can see is the center of the light is fuller on the 200, so if that's not important to you, maybe an old 100 will save you some $.
    I use the 200 on my trike, and riding a recumbent (like Lisa) means these lights are mounted lower to the ground and hopefully are less of a problem for blinding others.
    Last edited by TsPoet; 01-10-2008 at 07:52 AM.

I have a dinotte (the one that takes rechargeable AA's) and absolutely LOVE it, but I commute in very dark mornings on roads where there isn't much traffic (or on very dark wooded trails). I understand the risk that the light might be excessively bright to drivers, but so far have only had wonderful experiences with it. (It is a helmet mount, and I try to make sure it doesn't cast up/out too far.)

A friend of mine at REI told me that he feels riding with the light has really changed how traffic behaves around him (probably because they're crying, "My eyes!). I have had improved luck with mine as well.

I love it. I got the light because I needed to SEE. I also have front and rear flashing lights in the interest of BEING seen.
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg View Post

--- Denise
    I agree. I use the Nite Rider Moab system and it is very bright. I use it to light my way and make sure it is pointed down and not up at the cars.

I've got the Moab as well, and used it on my 600k and on DMD. (Flipping amazing battery life). Like Brandy said, I tilt it generally down. If a car approaches with high beams on, I flash it up at the car, briefly, as you would flash your high beams to get them to turn theirs off.

So far, so good.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

A fella at work loves Dinotte. How does the one w/the rechargeable batteries do in cold weather? Any reduction in run time? I've thought about getting one for a back up light.

I swear by my Lights&Motion Arc Li-On headlight. Worth the $$$$.

I was thinking before that it would be useful to have someone else ride my bike and see how well my lights work - well, I talked our local club into doing a night time "swap your ride and see your lights" clinic. The club guy is also going to see if he can't call in some industry favors and get some lights from members so that everyone can check out different gear too

That's really cool Eden. George and I are always wondering how visible we are and we get a chance to check it out when I head south on the coast to meet him as he's coming north on his commute. I happened to turn around early the other night because I was dragging and didn't want to slow him down for any longer than necessary and the first thing he commented on when he caught me (after Hello and I love you's) was from how far back my Niterider taillight and my reflective tape on my helmet, shoes and bike could be seen. Nice to know I am visible out there!