Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Northern Californians - Have you washed/blown away yet???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh my gosh, this weather is CRAZY!!! Here in Folsom, our wind speed topped out at 57.9mph at 11:35am and we've gotten nearly 4.76 inches of rain since midnight!!! We've got uprooted trees, mudslides, flooding . . . Welcome to January in Northern California . . . this is reminding me of the January before last where it just rained and rained and rained and rained and rained . . .

Luckily Santa Mom gave me some Spinervals for Christmas!

So, how is the weather elsewhere in N.Ca.???

good grief! that's not good! 4" of rain, that's almost a year's worth??
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Public Radio was chatting at length about the storm you guys are getting hit with - I hope everyone is okay.

That's an insane amount of rain you're supposed to be getting. The radio also said the Sierra Nevada area was expected 6-10 feet (yes, FEET) of snow.

Stay inside, warm, and safe.

Trek, BikerZ, Spazz, et al, check in please!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Windy!!!!

Yeah its been a pretty crazy 24 hours! Creek is overflowing in the back, power off and on all day and the phone is out. Large tree branch took out the lines coming into the house. The phone company can forward your calls to the cell phone but coverage is horrible in my house!!!

So I am cooped up with two crazy kids and two wild dogs! The winds seem to be over for now but they would come in some amazing gusts! You are right about the gusts Michele, they were really high!

Supposed to head to the Bay Area today from Sacramento but that is not going to happen until things slow down a little. Traffic is a nightmare especially heading over the Yolo Causeway.

Hope everyone else is well-

Hang in there, Nic! Is the creek close to your house?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I heard gusts at the Golden Gate Bridge were measured around 70mph. With all the power outages, I wonder how many TE folks can check-in with us to say they're safe.

...world news is on. Things don't look too good over there - looks like tornado weather and then some. Watch out for the wicked witch...

wind gusts the morning were terrifying. we live in a redwood forest and as always there are downed trees everywhere.

PP and the dog and geckos spent day at my SILs. our power has been out all day - the entire town is dark. safeway is dark, and the shelves are emptying, which is super creepy.

our power on the mtn will be out for days, as usual in this sort of situation. we had a generator wired to our power box over the summer and while its ungodly loud it is a relief to have heat, light, food that won't rot in fridge, etc. we're getting pretty good at this - we have to be.

the generator is a necessity for another reason. our home is below the sewer line, and we have a holding tank to pump waste back up. just imagine what happens if that pump is off for a sustained period.

I love living here, but you make sacrifices. now I just hope that suspicious tree doesn't come down on the house.

jo? v? snap? z? you guys ok?

EDIT - oh and my ex-biz partner now boss is all miffed because I am not driving over the bridge into SF for a retirement dinner for another former partner. DH is in Sac, both roads home for him (101 in san rafael and richmond bridge) are closed. sorry dude, I need to hold down my fort for the evening.
    Last edited by maillotpois; 01-04-2008 at 03:07 PM.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Trek, BikerZ, Spazz, et al, check in please!
    You forgot me!
    I am central coast though. We have over 35 mph wind gust here. And steady rain, almost 2 inch today. But the nor Cal gals started their rain yesterday! Keep those flashlights on hand! We have had 2 brown outs. Black out soon to follow I am sure!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

I'm safely tucked away in an office. I hear power is out on the Peninsula. It was raining hard this morning. Mae the wonder dog would not go out without me so I took her on a short walk. Lots of tree limbs are down but no huge damage.

I got to try out my new Ibex Breakaway cyling jacket Nice and toasty warm.

Note: both these in the East Bay
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

another Bay Area person here

I don't post often, but we're hanging in here. The groomer cancelled Marcellus the cat's grooming appointment this morning. It looks like the rain has let up for a bit, here in the Mission District of San Francisco. It's been brutal! And the rain axed my morning ride!
    I just had a professional bike fit and I wanna ride!

what a day! how can you flood a second floor condo? the drain on the courtyard clogs up (we're over the garage so I guess technically we're 1st floor although 10 feet off the ground). I had 4" of water on my patio right up to the door. power on & off all day. puppy is moping and won't eat or go outside. and my potted trees keep blowing over.

Nic, we were supposed to race a duathlon in Sac tomorrow and decided to bail.....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's the damage that I know of:

-- All ferry and bus service on the Golden Gate Transit system is suspended. Bus service is resuming on a very limited basis, ferry service for all should be back in action come the afternoon.

-- The Alameda Bay Harbor Ferry and the Alameda/Oakland Ferry are shut down.

-- BART is not running between 24th Street in San Francisco and Daly City.

-- Highway 101 in San Rafael is closed in both directions until at least 10 p.m.

-- The Richmond San Rafael Bridge remains closed.

-- Two lanes are closed on the Golden Gate Bridge.

-- Flights in and out of San Francisco International Airport are delayed and canceled.

-- Highway 1 is closed from Stinson Beach to the Bolinas turnoff because of flooding.

-- The MacArthur Tunnel approach to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is closed because of flooding.

-- The Great Highway in San Francisco is closed in both directions, from Sloat Boulevard to Lincoln Way, due to high winds.

-- Northbound State Route 17 in Santa Clara County is closed.

-- Route 84 in Alameda County is closed in both directions in Niles Canyon because of a slide.

-- More than 518,000 Pacific Gas & Electric customers are without power in the region.

-- San Francisco Municipal Railway is deluged by delays and has shutdown the F-line streetcar.

-- The San Francisco Zoo is closed because of downed trees that pose a potential escape risk with animals

-- Hundreds of thousands of homes are without power.

It was WILD at my place in the Oakland hills last night - crazy wind, tons of rain, gutters can't even begin to keep up. The front door is down a flight of steps and the entry way is poorly drained - I was afraid it would flood into the house, but it stayed just below the threshold, then slowly drained away.

I drove to BART and had to slowly drive through pretty deep water from time to time on my way. Today downtown in the city (SF) it's not been so bad, and I'm getting ready to head home soon.

A friend of mine who commutes from Sonoma to Oakland is stranded and will stay with me over tonight - all routes north are closed and would be too dangerous or crazy to try. As far as I know there is still power at my house.

Whew!
    Keep calm and carry on...

Ahhhhhhh we have a leak! Only a 3 year old roof too! Oh well can be fixed!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    You forgot me!
    "et al" sort of means "and everybody"... basically I was taking a short cut and not listing off everyone. Cuz I'm lazy.

Thinking of you all, hang in there!