Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to put in care package for injured athlete?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My cousin, a recreational runner and triathlete, just had a bad ski accident and will be on crutches for months (snapped ACL and other stuff). She's will have surgery in a few weeks and won't be able to drive for up to 3 months. I'd like to send her a care package, but I'm not sure what to put in it. Comfort foods are my first thought, of course, but I know she'll be watching her diet now that she can't exercise so I don't want to go overboard with the edibles. Thoughts? If you've ever been off your feet for an extended time, any gifts or gadgets that were particularly helpful?

Thanks!

Books, DVD's, supplies for any crafts she might like and could still do, magazines (maybe even a subscription) - Hmmm....I'll keep thinking. I'd stay away from too many comfort foods - might make it more frustrating....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

After my ACL surgery (and MCL and meniscus tear, the ol' trifecta) I was bored stiff, but my docs sent me to PT and I wish I had had a trainer at home at that point (umm, yeah, 9 years ago now and didn't lay off the food at all which would explain that extra 20). Would have loved a DVD or three, spinervals if she's motivated enough. Good reading and TV watching is good for passing the hours until she's healed enough to do more. Seen and loved lately: "Waitress," "Big Love," "Rocky Balboa," etc. Books: "Little big book of life," anything by Tim Sandlin, Jennifer Weiner, little bites of doable stuff.

Best of wishes!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Life's an adventure! http://www.lovenewsjh.blogspot.com

I've always thought that if I got injured I might learn to knit, so maybe some craft learning kit that will keep her busy and focused while she's off her feet. Hope she heals up well!

K.

Nice smelling lotions. Pure organic oils (grape seed is good) for the dry peeling skin near the surgical site. Loofa. A small roll of fluffy polar-tec fleece to pad the knee immobilizer. Fun toe-nail polish colors. One of those long-handled scratchers.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

when my sister in law had her first kidney transplant, i made her a big basket of pampering sort of stuff. nice fluffy slippers, nice smelling candles, lotions. can't remember what else now, but i remember it was a big hit and i was the favoritist sister in law ever.

I was laid up after surgery for 2 months (not allowed to read, even), and I survived because friends went to the library and brought me books on tape.

If your cousin will have difficulty getting up and down, then one of those reach extender things is really helpful. I got one for a friend who had abdominal surgery, and she talked for months afterwards about how much that helped. I got her a really basic one, two or three feet long, maybe, light, aluminum, with a little grabber at the end, and behind that a small magnet. You should be able to find them at pharmacy places.

Wish your cousin well for us!

thought

Since i am almost mended but was just there I have to say a few things.

I didn't want to eat much as I knew from the start it would be hard to wear it off. I wanted to know what activities I COULD do to help me recover.
    Books-give me lots please!

I still haven't started a new hobby Ok, does perfecting the sad puppy look when you see a bike zoom past count

Let your sister know she's not alone in her recovery. All is not lost & she'll be back out there. Is she a patient person? The reason I ask is any injury of this sort will make you a patient person.

Also, LBTC sends a great photo each day & many of them made me feel

Crossword puzzle books?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Brave Soldier for the scarring.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

baskets

Overstock.com has some nice reasonably priced already made baskets that are quite nice. There are are spa type products, food baskets, even one get well soon basket with chicken soup.
    "It's not how old you are, it's how you are old."
    SandyLS TeamTE BIANCHISTA

When I was recovering from my crash the thing that helped the most was books. And a little later - probably after I was home for about a month - one of my colleagues brought my work laptop to me.

On the food front - ask first. If she can't get around easily she may welcome some real food - not junk, but fresh fruit, vegetables, breads. When I was in a rehab hospital, my friends supplied me with good bread, peanut butter, and fresh salads, etc. from a place like Whole Foods. That was very welcome. Junk food was not, and pre-made baskets of food wouldn't have worked for me either. (OK, OK, I'm a little fussy about what I eat!)

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Gift card for an in-home massage? Depending on how much you want to spend. Books, movies, music, video games depending on her interests.

Denise I ditto your suggestion. No one ever said sending food meant that it has to be junk. I think fresh fruits are an excellent idea. I also concur about books, mags, etc.

Thanks you guys! These are really good suggestions. She lives far away so unfortunately it has to be things I can mail, but I bet I can put together some nice pampering and distracting items. I wish I could send her a personal assistant!