Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Rotator Cuff

Rotator Cuff

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, during this past 'cross season, some of you may recall that I had some issues falling - three times in two weeks to be exact - and landing on my shoulder. The first was at a skills clinic where I bungled a dismount, then I hit a hole warming up for a race at about 18 mph and broke my handlebars (but still raced ), and a week later was taken down by a junior during a race.

Each time, my shoulder hurt. But, I got back on, and continued racing through the rest of the season. With the change in the weather, and the end of racing season, I decided it was time to have the shoulder checked (it had continued to bother me....)

After a brief visit with the PA and x-rays before the holidays, I went to the ortho yesterday. It would appear that my humerus is higher than it should be, my shoulder is VERY swollen, and the muscles there have started to atrophy. I am going in for an MRI on Thurs., but the doc suspects either a tear in the tendon, or REALLY BAD tendonitis.

Have any of you out there had a rotator cuff injury? It sounds like my options will be surgery or cotisone treatments depending on what the MRI shows. I would REALLY prefer NOT to go down the surgery route, if possible. Just looking for some other experiences.

Thanks!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

SheFly - I don't have a torn rotator cuff injury, but am currently undergoing PT for bad tendonitis, er something. The guy in the cube next to me (also a cyclist), somehow did a slow speed crash (he fell over in some sand/gravel), and wound up needing surgery. They started with PT, then did surgery, then more PT. Shoulder is much better post-op.

I've only had a few sessions of PT for my shoulder. Parts of the sessions are quite pleasant, and parts I could almost scream. Of course I want it better NOW!, but these things take time. I'm scheduled for a month of therapy. What I need to ask is how soon I can get back on my bike. Have been a slug, and am afraid of doing more damage since I can't point to a specific accident that messed me up. Somehow mine are cummulative impacts (and age).

So good luck, hope you get to feeling better, but unfortunately, these things take time. And if it's torn, surgery may be the only way to go - have to pull the two pieces back together.
    Beth

I had a small tear in my shoulder - falling mountain biking was the cause. It does not sound like it was as bad as yours. I did PT for a while and rested a bit from falling off on my shoulder - and I haven't any more problems with the shoulder since - that has been about 4-5 years. Hopefully, you can just do PT and rest a little and it will work for you too

spoke

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    ... rested a bit from falling off on my shoulder - and I haven't any more problems with the shoulder since - that has been about 4-5 years. Hopefully, you can just do PT and rest a little and it will work for you too

spoke
    REST? REST? What is THAT? Just kidding - it might be that I need to take some time off from all of the shoulder-intense activities - riding (which right now is painful), snowmobiling, x-country skiing... But then, what's left?

Thanks, Spoke and BMccasland, for the advice. I'll keep you posted on the actual diagnosis. I'm also hoping that PT will be the end result!

SheFly

i'm about to schedule an appt with my ortho for a shoulder injury. not from biking and not really sure what caused it, but based on symptoms i think it may be rotator cuff. dang, there goes my shot at the big leagues! my nephew had the surgery last spring, not sure if there was one injury that led to it all but he is a golfer and hockey player, so it isn't like his shoulders didn't get a lot of work! he told me a buddy of his had similar problems and that PT worked for him, but not for my nephew. he swears by the surgery though, he's back to both hockey and golf and feels great. i have a good friend having the surgery on friday, so i plan to listen closely to hear info about the post-op. i'm hoping mine won't need surgery. i'm soooo trying to get myself back into shape, i don't want the setback. so fingers crossed. i'm also going to be taking care of my sister who is having a lobe of her lung removed in two weeks, and i may be needed for 4-6 weeks. so lordy knows i don't have ttime for my body to be falling apart right now!

Oh SheFly!

Ouch
    I don't know about rotator cuffs, or about recovery... but wanted to say I'm cringing and thinking of you. I know how much you like to race and how intensely you put your energy into training and racing. It would drive me nuts to have this diagnosis and be told to rest or to have surgery.

From one who understands the implications from a purely "I want to race" mentality, heres hoping for the best possible prognosis and quickest possible healing.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Went for the MRI on my shoulder this morning. Having never had an MRI, this was an experience. I am REALLY GLAD that I'm not claustorphobic! The machine is definitely loud, but having a headset with the radio on helped.

I'll have to wait until Monday, likely, before I know the results.

SheFly

result

Hey Shefly,

Did you get the results of the MRI back? What's the next step?

How does your shoulder feel?

ps-the mri machine reminded me of the many many fight scenes from Star Wars..

CC - Thanks for checking in!

I have a good news/bad news scenario. The good news is that I have not torn my rotator cuff. The other good news is that I don't have tendonitis in my shoulder.

The bad news is that I have a tear in the cartiledge in my shoulder. I can have it repaired arthroscopically, or I can go and do PT for 4-6 weeks and see if that makes a difference. I opted for the PT route for now, and then will see where I am at after that.

In the meantime, I am still riding (albeit somewhat painfully), so life isn't all bad.

I am traveling at the moment, and will make an appt with the PT for next week. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the support!

SheFly

posture

Hey Shefly, welcome to the shoulder PT gang. After a couple of weeks it does get better. Although I asked Tony if he was a torturer in medieval times? Without skipping a beat, he said yeah, but now he doesn't have to wear that leather hood, the coarse hair shirt, or the heavy boots, and the hours are better, and he likes getting out of the dungeon.

One of the things he did say is that women have a tendancy to roll their shoulders forward, so it may not be the biking, but the sitting at the computer or doing other tasks that cummulatively does us in. Men are taught more to stand up straight, roll their shoulders back, and stick their chests out. Women seem to get only the stand up straight part. I've tried to think about my posture, which I didn't think was bad, while I'm typing away or just standing. Roll your shoulders back....

PT people are your friends. And so are ice packs... and heating pads.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bmccasland; 01-15-2008 at 05:54 PM.
    Beth

Glad you found out what was wrong. I definitely would try the PT for now. Surgery or even the thought of it scares me!
    Just be careful when you are out there. I would think x country skiing would put a lot of pressure on your shoulders.

OK, keep us posted. Going to go get my ski clothes on...

Robyn