Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Question What's in your pack?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Here's an interesting question:

What do you have in your cycling pack? More specifically, what do you carry that's unusual, and why?

My last addition to the stuff in my pack was zip-ties. Before a 40km race, I adjusted my saddle position, not remembering that I needed 2 tools to tighten it back up. Sometime during that race, I lost a bolt from one side of the seat clamp. Had I had a zip-tie I would have at least felt like I could put a little bit of weight on the saddle - as it was I was quite afraid of bending a ti rail, so did what I could to crouch the last 40 minutes of the race (or however long that was - seemed like forever!!)

What's your story?

Namaste,
    ~T~

haha, the beginning or the end of the season.... scary what you pull out at the end of the season!!! Zip ties are a good idea.

The usual stuff includes first aid in a zip lock, assorted food ( gu, gorp), mini tool, spare derrailler hanger and cleat nuts, feminine supplies, digital camera and batteries, clothing varies by season, pencil stub, pump,...I'm sure there's more...

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Spare disposable contact lens.
    Lost one during a race once. Depth perception is a GOOD thing off road!

Besides the usual emergency bike and body repair stuff, and always more water than I think I'll need, I carry a hand-held ham radio. I don't have a cell phone, so my husband and I monitor an agreed upon frequency in order to check in with each other periodically. Sometimes I carry a gps if I want to map a trail or mark a spot on the map. I've printed out maps of my usual routes, both on and off-road, so my husband knows where I'll be.

Thumbs up Spare tube hint

Among other things, I always carry two spare tubes. I put them in a sandwich bag and sprinkle cornstarch in the bag. Work it around the tube, seal it up nice & tight & cram in it the seatbag. When you need it, it will slip easily into the rim and doesn't get caught so easily between the rim and the tire.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dental floss

Why? For the obvious reason. Though I've never had to use it on the trail yet. I just hate the thought of being out somewhere without it when something gets stuck in my teeth. Trail food often includes nuts and nuts are notorious for getting stuck between my teeth. How annoying.

Aren't you glad you asked?!

I am, however, convinced that at some point it will save the day for me or someone--somehow, somewhere. It's strong stuff and could come in handy during an emergency. A friend and I once considered using it as a makeshift dog leash to help convince a lost dog to follow us. Someone else in the group ended up having a piece of real rope though.
    Plays in dirt!

I have a little 'under the seat' pack. It has an Alien tool, a few individual quick patch kits, some of those ind. wrapped hand towels (like you get at a lobster dinner), my cell phone and a laminated copy of my emergency contact info plus $20.

On my Wing (behind the seat water carrier) I have my 2 H2O bottles and 2 tubes in the velcro Wing straps. Since I'm a roadie, I sometimes velcro my tevas onto the wing as well if "lazing about" is part of a ride.

I hate wearing a pack... so I've become a bit of a minimalist.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Snacks only for me

I've also got a little under-the-saddle pack and keep an inner tube,quick patches, tyre levers and mini tool. I also keep a small bag of coins ( change is always handy ) and some of them usually get spent at a tea/ coffee stop, but they do tend to get a bit grubby if they're in there too long.

I also hate carrying stuff on my person. I've got a mini pump which is attached to my frame via my bottle cage and only usually have food and my mobile in my pockets. I always carry more food than I'll ever need, just in case I take a detour and ride longer than expected, or in case I come across another rider who looks like they could use a snack!
    Last edited by MightyMitre; 01-31-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Toothbrush, 'cause of the braces. They are a mess if you don't brush every time you eat anything.

Travel-size deodorant. Comes in handy so many times!

Lipstick. You never know.......... and it sure doesn't take up much room.

Duct tape. Never travel without it.

Pen and small pad of paper.

Plus the usual stuff - tools, tubes, CO2, money, cell phone, etc.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Hi Annie - sounds like you're ready for any eventuality including an overnight stay!

On saying that, I'm just a scruff bag. Like the lipstick idea - very glam.

Pack?....we don't need no stinkin packs! Actually - I keep reading this thread with guilt and prayers coz I'm trying to catch up on the wardrobe part right now - the pack is next. Its going to be Spring here soon and I don't own a single SS jersey and my shorts are over 10 yrs old. (can you say fashion plate?) But I would carry Slime and a spare tube due to the goathead thorns out here. Plus I'm looking to buy the cycleaire pump I saw in a thread here which would fit in my pack also.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by annie
    Toothbrush, 'cause of the braces. They are a mess if you don't brush every time you eat anything. Travel-size deodorant. Comes in handy so many times! Lipstick. You never know.......... and it sure doesn't take up much room. Duct tape. Never travel without it. Pen and small pad of paper. Plus the usual stuff - tools, tubes, CO2, money, cell phone, etc.
    annie
    Good heavens! How big is your pack? Does it have its own set of wheels?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama
    Good heavens! How big is your pack? Does it have its own set of wheels?
    LOL - VERY loud!
    I have to confess, this is particularly funny to me right now because just yesterday, I attached a BOB trailer to my bike. So, yes, it DOES have it's own wheels.
    It's attached to my mountain bike which is what I've been riding, due to the snowy, icy, and sloppy conditions. I've never used a trailer before and am trying it out to see if I prefer it or panniers for loaded traveling. I don't intend to ride with it all the time! Cute tho' BOB might be, I like my solitude.

Seriously, tho', when I ride my road bike, I do carry all that stuff I mentioned, and more. I have an under-the-seat bag on my bike and a fanny pak that I wear. I know lots of people who can't stand the fanny pak hanging on them, but somehow, it doesn't bother me at all. I just like to have my stuff when I want my stuff. Lots of time, I don't touch it. But when I do, I am glad to have it. I started out biking as a minimalist - the less, the better. Less weight, you know. As the years have gone by, I've found it doesn't matter all that much. Unless I am racing (and that is less and less) I carry what I want and the weight bedamned! Each to their own - I truly believe that.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Quote Originally Posted by annie
    LOL - VERY loud!
    I started out biking as a minimalist - the less, the better. Less weight, you know. As the years have gone by, I've found it doesn't matter all that much. Unless I am racing (and that is less and less) I carry what I want and the weight bedamned! Each to their own - I truly believe that.

annie
    Hmmmm very interesting. I started off as a mountain biker, joined the IMBA mountain bike patrol and carried everything-but-the-kitchen-sink for years. I find that the older I get and the longer I've been riding, the LESS I carry.

I'm also going through a de-cluttering phase in my personal (home) life. Less is...less. And I like it!

As you said: "each to their own"!

p.s. Can't fault you for the lipstick thing. One day I was riding home from work and caught a glimpse of myself in a store window, with my "work face" (powder and lipstick), and thought "damn I look good!"

I often wear lipstick on a ride - especially if I'm mountain biking. I find it amusing to be a girly girl riding a gnarly trail covered in mud.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com