Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

me #103! i was thinking same thing - "Vit I.....should I be researching Vitamin I?" Thanks for the save! Although a word of note: My father was diagnosed with kidney disease that has been linked to long-term high dosage Ibuprofen. Due to his disease he can no longer use any drugs except Tylonel. Apparently, doctors prescribe high-dose (read 800-1000 mgs) I for surgeries, muscle damages etc etc and they are now learning it can lead to kidney disease.
    Kathies Tip of the Day!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

wow, corsair, thanks for the tip! and the detail too! I usually limit my vit. i to only when there is acute pain indicating serious inflammation, and I usually only take one 200mg tablet, because I don't find it does much for pain management anyway, so why bother taking more? heh. I use high doses of calcium for all muscle related pain. it seems to work fabulously, I sleep like a baby, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't do much harm.

namaste,
    ~T~

I also have mixed results with Vitamin I. You can get them in 500mg tablets here and I only really take one when I'm desperate, but I find they work for some kinds of pain better than others.

Interesting info CorsairMac - people are popping them all the time over here. Some of my collegues will come into work a bit worse for wear from a night out and merrily pass the Ibruprofen round without a second thought. Not sure it's really designed as a hang over cure but doesn't seem to stop them. I guess if you're hung over and have to face a day at work then people will grab anything that might help.

LBTC - I'm not a medical professional of any kind but I believe excess calcium isn't too good for you. I think it's possible that it can build up in your kidneys. I might be wrong about this, so feel free anyone to put me right, but just a suspicion.

Hey, MM. That could be true enough and I ought to do some research to find out the threshold. currently I take a measly 500mg each night, and if I'm experiencing serious muscle pain or spasms I'll take 3 instead of one. That doesn't happen often. I'm guessing I"m well below overuse, but it won't hurt to find out!

Thanks!

namaste,
    ~T~

It's kind of the all things in moderation issue. You can't live on the stuff but if you are out on the trail and have an injury? You bet it can be good. It is better to stop inflammation early (no ice out there!). 4 knee surgeries later I use it prophylactically. It can mean the difference between riding only today or today and tomorrow. Though the stronger my legs are the less my kneecaps scream - funny how that works.

Long term use is the real culprit and a big no-no.

Talking

Maybe some of you guys need one of those taking it with you trailers. Then you actually could bring the kitchen sink, and even your little dog too.

Quote Originally Posted by Surlygirl
    and even your little dog too.
    mine would LOVE that! we actually bought the.... i think it's called a springer? for our old kmart/walmart bikes yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaars ago.. but never put it on ... i chickened out... but i'm sure the both would love to run along while we ride.. (and ride on the trailer for a while when they get pooped!)

Doggie trailer

Actually, I have been considering how to take Monty the Obnoxious Miniature Dachshund along. Trailer? Backpack? Back rack?

The Doberman used to run along beside me, or pull me up hills, but Monty's 3-inch legs just aren't up to the task.

Ideas?

(Obviously I'm haveing a hard time concentrating on my work today)
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

trailer! i've seen dogs in the little trailers behind the bikes and it's sooooooooooooooooooo cute! i'd be scared of a back pack... on the off chance of a crash he could get hurt/squooshed... at least in a trailer.. it may tip over.. but he'd still be zipped in and "safe"!

Yeah, I've been thinking of a trialer, but I ride a long wheel base recumbent. With a trailer, I'd be as long as my sister's pickup truck. I'm already having problems with some of the sharp turns on my favorite rides.

I've also been considering a baby front pack. When I fall (so far, at least), I land on my backside, so the dog would probably just bark. I'm actually more concerned with losing my hearing than squishing the dog.

DH and I are still talking about this. I'll post pics when (if) we ever decide how to haul the dog along.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Check out carryfreedom.com. They have the kitchen sink trailers and the little dog too. Seems like they'd be pretty safe in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Surlygirl
    your little dog too.
    I've seen very patient and well behaved dogs riding along on trailers....but the one for the books was at a break stop on a two day ride. This older guy riding "alone" unzips his handlebar bag...and out pops a happy little dog!
    be happy ride a bike--LK

Re: dogs in handlebar bags. That's closer to what I'm considering. After all, the dog in question is a Miniature Dachshund. A trailer would be overkill.

What we are thinking right now is more along the lines of a basket on the back rack. The basket at http://www.cynthiastwigs.com/ is as close as we've come. Actually, the more I look the closer to IT the basket is.

I'll be sure to post pics this summer. (Now to negotiate with the money supply...)
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

A solution for misbehaving canines (be sure to scroll down) . . .

Little Red Riding Hood Century

Not that I recommend it for pets, but the jersey is adorable.

That's It!

That's what I had in mind. Dog on back of DH's bike, picnic in my pack, lovely fall (OK, I'm fond of fall) colors, maybe DH acting a bit "wolfish"...Bliss.

A girl can dream, you know.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX