Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cyclocross bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

What exactly is a cyclocross bike, besides the wider tires? Not every manufacturer(Giant, Trek, Specialized or Diamondback) makes a cross bike?
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

They tend to have geometry a bit more relaxed than a road racing bike, but not as slack as a touring bike. The bottom bracket is generally a bit higher than on a road bike. The forks have a lot of clearance, nice for mud and fenders. Generally canti brakes. Sturdy wheels, with the option of wider tires if you like. (one of my cyclocross bikes has 32mm, the other has 28mm. I like wide tires.)

Nice all-round bikes.

Take a peek at Kona Jake, Jamis Aurora, Surly Cross Check, SOMA Double Cross; entry level bikes but not cr@p.

They remind me of the 10-speeds we had as kids.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-04-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Most manufacturers do make a cross bike - but sometimes it takes a little digging
    Specialized - Tricross
    Giant - TCX
    Kona - Jake
    Trek - XO
    Redline - Conquest
    Salsa - Chili Con Crosso
    to name a few
    They usually are not given their own category, but are rather listed as road bikes
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

A light weight, fun to ride corss bike:
    Slingshot DD-X: LINK

Bianchi...

Don't think I saw Bianchi on the list -- just got one this year for CX (I'm an entry level CXer) and I really like it, and a good price point as well. There are 3 levels (I think) of CX bikes Bianchi sells, I have the mid-tier (Axis) The bottom tier, although it could be used for cross, is billed as more of a commuter/touring bike (Volpe). The Axis retailed for 1399 but I was able to get it for around 1000. Plus, the big selling factor -- I am on the shorter side and Bianchi is one of the few who sells a 44 which is comparable to a 47 on a road bike (I generally fit a 47 or 49 road bike). Many other brands such as Trek, Giant, etc. were too tall for me....the CX bike market has not quite hit on women's needs yet. I wanted decent cross-over on the top tube to be able to mount/dismount without too much trouble. I also use my CX bike when there is crud like snow on the road. Put studded tires on it and it would be a great winter bike.

You will also have V-brake (cantilevers) on CX bikes -- they are much easier to maintain once you slog through the mud in your first CX race!

Have fun bike hunting ;-)
    Last edited by VenusdeVelo; 01-27-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Addition
    Ride like a girl.

Renee

I just was talking with a guy the other day that uses his cyclocross bike for everything. He has a Lemond Poprad and specifically chose a cyclocross bike because he wanted one bike to do all. His is a 9 speed double and the weight for road riding doesn't bother him. He's done a couple of centuries on it. He uses his slick tires when he rides on the road, and switches out to wider knobbies when he goes off-road.

A short gal in my club has just gotten a sponsorship deal from Redline, therefore has no need for her old bikes. She's offered to sell me her 48cm Orbea Lobular 'cross bike with Campy Record for a really good price (less than four figures). It's slightly bigger and more upright than my S-Works road bike, but I'm really just interested in using it as a part-time rain/beather bike.

Other than replacing the knobby tires, what other things do I need to adapt to make it a worthy rain/road cruiser?

Thanks!

Last edited by Bluetree; 01-28-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    An Orbea as a beater bike?! Egads!

Lucky you. Take care of her, even if she is your beater bike...

I'd replace the Campy with Shimano 105 (Campy is NOT beater-bike stuff!) and KEEP the tires--good in rain and mud. Do you cyclocross? Wow, with a bike like that, you might want to start.

Am saving this thread to my favourites
    We are thinking about adding a couple of cyclocross bikes to our stable and this has a good range of recommendations
    Thanks gals

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Bicycling Magazine (the current issue) has a review of the Luna Orbit cross bike. It's a very nice bike if you are looking for a custom-made frame. I have a Luna Eclipse road bike and I love the fit. Margo (the framebuilder) really does wonderful work.

I have a Luna Orbit (and an Eclipse) and I love both bikes. My Orbit has a custom-made steel fork--rides like a dream. I ended up putting road slicks on my Orbit, as I prefer my Kona Lisa for anything off pavement (my almost 45-year old bones appreciate Lisa's dual suspension).

Both of my Lunas are PINK.

I admit that I inwardly groaned when I saw the Orbit featured in Bicycling. I'm such a snob....don't like my stuff getting "discovered" by the masses. LOL. Kind of how I felt when I first heard the Cure on "regular" radio, after years of loving them before America "discovered" them.

I had a twinge of the same feeling...guess my secret's out! But I'm happy for Margo. I had the pleasure of going to her place when she was in Santa Fe, NM a few years ago. I called her up to see if I could visit her "factory." She laughed, and said, "It's must me and my dogs in the garage, but you're welcome to come take a look." I did, and I bought a bike while I was there, one she had already built and had for sale. It fit me like a custom bike would. It was so interesting to see her "factory," even if it was just her garage and dogs!

No wonder I love my Lunas! Margo had her dogs there with her when she made my bikes. No better souls than those of dogs!

Great thread, ladies! I just came back from an attempt at a bike fit only to learn that my hybrid is way too small for me. After talking with the shop owner a while she suggested cyclocross bikes to me since it seems to be more in line with how I want to use my bike. The hybrid, unfortunately, is less than a year old. Now how do I work it so that my husband isn't too mad at me at trying to sell my young hybrid for a nice cyclocross in a higher price range?
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

Tell him you're getting smarter!