Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by roadie gal View Post
    I'm in Truckee, near Lake Tahoe, where all of those wild snow pictures on the TV are coming from.
    what TV?

we won't have cable/internet access for who know how long.

I can't imagine how much snow you guys must have in truckee.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Almost embarassed to say, we're fine in Union City. No power out yet, nothing's tipped over on us yet.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I wish I'd taken a snapshot of the wind patterns yesterday.

http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/wind/windbin.cgi

You couldn't see where land and water ended, there were so many large red and orange arrows.

Those winds yesterday were crazy!

We had a weather pattern going on yesterday morning that I've only seen here. I live at right about 6700 feet. Yesterday that was right at the rain/snow transition zone. It was raining, then a few seconds later it was snow, then it was snow out the back window and rain out the front, then it reversed... wild. You could just see those little isobars dancing!

ooh! thunder and lightening now. in my decade in CA I only remember thunder and lightening two other times. I grew up in NY and it was commonplace, but it freaks me out a little now.

Velogirl, you must have just got ours from the East Bay.

It's still raining here though not as hard. Earlier we had quite the T-storm. My poor dog was shivering. Speaking of dog I need to (carefully) go forage for dog food, batteries for the remote, outa milk, a few things. All of this quite nearby, normally I'd ride. Hope you'll forgive the wheeniedom if I drive, it's pretty wet out there and my bikes are tarped upstairs to keep the remodel dust off.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Trek! stay warm and dry! I really really understand.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Xeney - how are the levees holding up? After Katrina, I found out that the two cities most likely to flood were Sacramento and New Orleans - for poor maintenance of the levees by the locals. Corps builds them, but it's up to the locals to maintain them, and Congress to fund the big maintenance jobs. Which we all know they didn't for us in N.O. (they are now). I hope Congress sent some $$ your way too, I know some of the river levees were in sore need of repair. Back in the gold rush days, beautiful downtown Sac would regularly flood in the winter. In fact the Yolo Bypass was constructed to help this out.

Hope all y'all out west in that storm system are holding up, and staying dry. On the other hand, the snow pack will mean more water in the summer. Not sure if it's a drought buster yet. One good storm does not fill reservoirs.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    Xeney - how are the levees holding up? After Katrina, I found out that the two cities most likely to flood were Sacramento and New Orleans - for poor maintenance of the levees by the locals. Corps builds them, but it's up to the locals to maintain them, and Congress to fund the big maintenance jobs. Which we all know they didn't for us in N.O. (they are now). I hope Congress sent some $$ your way too, I know some of the river levees were in sore need of repair. Back in the gold rush days, beautiful downtown Sac would regularly flood in the winter. In fact the Yolo Bypass was constructed to help this out.
    I'm a CA native and did not know till recently that back in the day the entire central valley both North and South was wetlands.

If you'd have come up and over the Sierra Nevada and looked down into what is now one of the richest agricultural areas in the US before we (I say we, though I'm 1st and 2nd generation American respectively) messed it up, uh I mean settled it you'd have seen a vast wetland including territory for migratory birds etc.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildwor...0801_full.html

That's a lot of water to hold back.

Some is diverted to agricultural use, some goes to So. Cal but between development encroaching on wetlands and the deteriorating levee system it's a huge problem. All we need is a major quake and ....
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Yeah, since Katrina we've had major levee work either happening or being fought over. (Mostly the latter -- it's levee safety versus environmental/ecosystem concerns -- I believe the issue is that the feds don't think you need both but the state would like to protect the ecosystems along the rivers.)

There was a levee break up in Nevada but as far as I know everything is fine down here with only local flooding. My particular area is pretty safe ... we are right by the American River, but floods there are controlled by the Folsom Dam, so there would have to be a really catastrophic failure to affect us, and we would have some warning. (Recent federal redistricting actually resulted in us not being required to carry flood insurance at all even though we are spitting distance from the river, although of course we still do carry it.)

But before the dam our house was in the middle of a flood plain. We have a "highwater bungalow" -- it's a 1914 Craftsman bungalow with a full-story above-ground basement that was designed to flood in the winter.

Xeney - our foreparents were right to build raised basement places, structures that were built to withstand periodic flooding. Here's hoping you remain dry! And yes, oh by-gawd yes, keep that flood insurance!! People here are still battling with their insurance - basically if it involves a flood, homeowners doesn't want to cover it - even if you had roof damage! Insurance is in the business to make money for their stock holders first, then provide a service to those of us who actually pays for the policies. So if they can find a way out of paying, they will.

Fortunately after Katrina, my house didn't flood, so I only filed a homeowner's claim. Then a year later I get a statement from FEMA indicating a flood claim was filed on my home, to the tune of $45K. Took me a few months to clear that up!

Have they said anything to how this storm system will help the snowpack? Or is it too early to tell?
    Beth

We're still without power and PG&E won't even give an estimate as to when it will be back on. Thank heaven for the generator. That was a great investment. We don't run it through the night as it is a bit loud. But it keeps things somewhat sane (still no internet or cable access yet).

I'm at our in law's right now. They're up a different canyon than the one we live in. They've had power for 2 days.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

There's snow in the East Bay hills.

I snagged this image off the Mt. Hamilton HamCam website.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Oh, you did not ride up there and snag that shot for us? There's supposed to be another storm rolling in
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Hey guess what????? It's raining again! I still have a leak in my roof.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!