Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    "et al" sort of means "and everybody"... basically I was taking a short cut and not listing off everyone. Cuz I'm lazy.

Thinking of you all, hang in there!
    I am just poking you! Like on face book.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

It's pretty rainy and windy here on the central coast, it was a struggle just to get to my bus stop half a block away from my building, since the sidewalk and street were covered with rushing water. Now I am home and dry and things seem pretty calm, just rainy with occasional big gusts of wind. My poor cat is still out there somewhere, I hope he found a dry place to hide.

Checking in from the South Bay

So far the fair town of Alviso hasn't flooded. Where's Alviso, you might ask? (Don't worry, everyone asks, even the long term Bay Area folks.) Alviso is right at the tip of the SF Bay, and is in prime flood zone.

Meanwhile, at my house in the east foothills of San Jose, all of our apricot trees are still standing...

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Oh gosh, I feel for you guys! I was looking at weather.com and it looked like a hurricane was headed your way. I'm sending positive vibes that you all will be safe and sound. And your furkids and skinkids as well.

We're going to get that nasty weather by Monday. Our winds will be at least 35 mph and our temps will rise to 65 degrees (from the teens and 20's currently).

I've been watching a tree in front all afternoon, it's about to drop a huge limb on the street. I fear this is the end for the 40+ year old ash tree, it will only have one limb left.

My brother is in El Granada, his town and Half Moon Bay are dark, something about a main power line near Crystal Springs.

I ventured out for milk this afternoon, took me an hour. The local Safeway was without power, Walgreens next door had a generator, but had run out of milk. My lights have flickered a couple times, but the power has stayed on all day. There was a shot of the Guadalupe River on the news, pretty full, but not flooding.

Fairly uneventful here in the delta. I drove to Walnut Creek this morning for a hair appointment. The drive out was a bit scary, the drive back not so bad.

We finished the flooring in the family room about twenty minutes ago. It looks great, but man are we both pooped!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Russian River's Runnin'!

Here in Healdsburg, we got 6.5 inches of rain between last night and mid-day today. It was wild, between the relentless heavy downpour and the winds, didn't sleep much. It happened to be trash pickup day today so natch, the bins outside blew around, over, and filled with water. Did one run out into it for myself and my 84 year old next door neighbor at 6am to right the bins so they could be picked up and then again later in the morning. Same neighbor had a very large tree downed, safely so (without taking anything else down with it) and the power flickered many times, but luckily stayed on.

It was sooooo quiet here, not a car drove down my street all day (very unusual) so most folks were indoors, I expect, especially since kids don't go back to school till Monday. It's eerily calm now, but the next waves are coming!

The Russian River is GORGED with water...it's astounding to see. Very rapid moving water with tons of tree limbs and where it routes through Healdsburg is a pretty wide area to accommodate that flow, high tho it was. I can't imagine how things are in Guerneville and farther downstream. This will be a good weekend to stay put, for sure!

Can you say climate change? I know you can!

All's well here. Am on the Peninsula and no power outage so far. Thank heavens for spinning classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    We finished the flooring in the family room about twenty minutes ago. It looks great, but man are we both pooped!

V.
    Sorry for the hijack Nor Cal thread: we want pictures when your feet don't hurt. Arrived home to find that the carpenter gal has torn out my 70's disgusting flooring Progress being made.

Give me hope that things can look better, let's see pictures.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Pretty uneventful here in Concord. We fortunately never lost power. About 2.5 inches of rain with gusts to 45mph. And my semi-feral cat is still outside refusing to come in.

You GUYS. Please be careful (like you need me to tell you that or you wouldn't). Thanks for checking in.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

It's really crazy here and I was glad I didn't have to leave the house yesterday. I did go for a walk in the late afternoon when the rain and wind stopped, and there were four huge trees down within about six blocks of my house. A large sycamore is blocking our street at the end of the block, and a big elm around the corner came up by the roots and completely destroyed a house. The people were moving out when I walked by and they looked so shell-shocked and sad.

My photo is blurry because I didn't want to use the flash, but this is what it looks like when a tree comes through your house:

I've lived in downtown Sacramento since 1992 and I've never seen storm damage this bad. I've seen trees uprooted, cars smashed, etc., but never so many all at once. We are feeling very good about the $2000 or so we spent to have an arborist evaluate and prune our trees this spring.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Holy moly!!!

I'm in Truckee, near Lake Tahoe, where all of those wild snow pictures on the TV are coming from. The power went on and off about 5 times yesterday. The wind was WILD. There were gusts that shook the house.

We got at least 2-3 feet of snow and it's still coming down. I can't tell where my driveway is. We have manzanita bushes behind the house. They're about 4 feet tall. Right now it looks like a meadow. The bushes are completely covered.

Interstate 80 has been closed over a 50 mile stretch for over 12 hours!

I was just about to post again on this thread last night about how I had to correct the air speed I had posted earlier. We have had up to 75 mph not 35. But right when I went to go to the site my power went out.
    My hubby and Idrank hot chocolate and enjoyed the dark and quite!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!