Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How I Spent the Holiday

To disable ads, please log-in.

Dh and I decided to take a break from the cold MI weather and head out to Cali to do some mountain biking. We left Dec 26 and flew in to San Diego. It was a nice warm upper 60s when we arrived.

We didn't spend too much time in San Diego but managed to ride Mission Hills. Locals say Mission Hills is flat. Well, I have some advice for them...come to Michigan, then you'll see what flat really is. Here are some pics:

The long climb up

Dh and I resting

Dh carrying my bike over the stream...awww

After San Diego, we headed to LA. First stop...Sullivan Canyon. For this trail, we started near the top, did some climbing on a fireroad, found Sullivan Canyon trail and rode some nice scenic singletrack down. Then, we turned around and climbed back up. Following that, we rode some of the ridges, then called it a day. Overall, fun trail and very scenic.

Before we descended....

We're on top of the world!

Gorgeous view during our descent into the canyon

Me starting the long climb back up the trail

Lastly, we hit up Point Mugu based on some recommendations. I LOVED this trail. We rode some Sycamore Canyon fire road to "Hell's Hill". Climbed hell's hill and came to some great singletrack. Rode down via Guadalasco Trail, climbed back up Hell's Hill and took the Backbone trail down. Overall, I think this was my favorite of the three, it had the most singletrack

Dh at the top of Hell's Hill. He was so proud to make it..me, I was happy to be done pushing my bike Notice the heart made of sticks someone created (not dh).

Nice View

Me finishing the singletrack

That was my riding for the holiday. Overall, a great trip and it makes me sad how flat things are around here.

Anyone else have good pics of riding during the holidays?

Cool

Hey SMTB, thanks for sharing the photos!

I'm glad you & your dear had a great time on the singletrack

Great photos, that looks like some nice riding.
    Have you considered relocating?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thanks for sharing! I haven't tried any of those trails when we've been to visit family. Might actually look forward to the next trip rather than dread!

Oh Salsa - fab pix!

And I like the look of DH's jersey - whats on it?

What an awesome way to spend holiday time - with your DH and your bikes in beautiful country...

Thanks for sharing

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Hey Salsa you were in my neck 'o the woods. I love Guadalasca too, we have tons of riding around here, but yeah, lot's of climbing. Not too many can do Hell Hill! It's pouring rain right now so you timed it right. Glad you had a nice trip to So Cal, especially Ventura County! If you ever come back, I can give you some good ride advice.

Y.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Great pics, Salsa! It makes me want to head for those hills and enjoy all the beautiful scenery.

Relocating...lol...we actually considered it a few years ago. But, we decided to stick it out in MI and opened our own bike shop. So the likely hood of us relocating is slim to none, even though the trip made it tempting! I did find it funny that the bike shops there considered this their off season...it was in the 60s! lol...they have no clue what an off season really is

The jersey dh is wearing is Animal House by Primal Wear (assuming you were asking about the one with all the print). He loves that jersey!

fatbottomedgurl - next time I'm in town, I'll definitely send you a PM!