Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

q-tip cleaning obsessive?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been cleaning my bikes for the last couple of days. I've been cleaning every last nook and cranny using q-tips when necessary. Mr. surveyed my work in progress and asked, "So, how clean does it really need to be?"

Am I being obsessive to clean everything to this degree?

What do you do?
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

Ummmmm..... nope....
    Good idea... but do the q-tips come apart and leave bits of "cottony" stuff in the crooks and nannies?

We use old toothbrushes.... but q-tips might be the way to go...

Road- I'm-obsessed-too -Raven

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

little bamboo sticks and old t-shirts.

if ya can't ride em, clean em, eh?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

After reading that suggestion here at TE, I used q-tips to clean the factory gunk from between the links of the new chain I had installed last year. Worked very nicely. Now I always have a supply of rags, q-tips, and cotton balls (to wipe down my rims with rubbing alcohol) handy when I clean my bike, just in case.

Kali - You-can't-be-too-obsessed - Durga
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    little bamboo sticks and old t-shirts.

if ya can't ride em, clean em, eh?
    Excellent idea - thanks Knot

Raod- obession-is-good - Raven

I find the packets of bamboo shish-kabob skewers (about $1) to be optimal. And you can mash/fray the end of one to make a little tiny "brush" to reach into difficult spots.

Knot "cleanliness-is-next-to-godliness"
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Thumbs up really really clean

Silver-
    Your cleaning method will not get your bike nearly clean enough. I can only imagine all the nasty germs and filth left in one's chain if using only Q-tips, BBQ skewers, and brushes.
    Here is the method you should use, if not after every ride, then certainly after every other ride:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I see nothing wrong here - clean away!

P.S. I just finished my cassette... removed from bike, soak, spray and hand dry each sprocket...

I wipe down my bike thoroughly after every ride.

Around every 200 miles (7-10 days) I'll take off her wheels, clean and inspect the tires for cuts and embedded material, wash down her chain and clean as much gunk off her drivetrain as possible, using Speed Degreaser if necessary, then relube with Boeshield. I'll get her bar tape nice and white again, and wipe down every spoke carefully.

About once a month, I take apart her entire drivetrain and soak or scrub her derailleurs, cassette and chain rings until she's showroom spotless. Then she gets a light carbon polish and a cable adjustment.

If I take care of my bike, my bike takes care of me!
    Last edited by Bluetree; 01-03-2008 at 11:06 AM.

You guys are obsessed.

I only ride my roadie in nice weather which means one cleaning a year courtesy of the LBS.

My boyfriend got blood oozing out of his ears from obsessive cleaning with Q-tips. Message!
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I'm on alpinerabbit's side here.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Says DirtDiva (nomen est omen...)
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I looked at Sheldon's cleaning system and just had to click 'add to cart' to make sure

I only ride my roadie in nice weather too but it still gets pretty funky. I do a good cleaning about every third ride and yes I use q-tips
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I manage to clean my bike about once every 3 months. When Saturday morning comes, I tend to sit around and drink coffee for way too long, then I ride, and then by the time I get back it's time to do other things. Then on Sunday I do my long run, and after that laziness sets in. So yeah.... my bike doesn't get cleaned very often. I too only ride in nice weather. Maybe I should ride this weekend when it's raining, then it will get clean... sorta works for my car, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
    I'm on alpinerabbit's side here.
    Oh, well that stands to reason Ms Diva... just look at your name, you duuurrrty girl!