Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Quick Atlanta trip - any advice?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello! I just found out that I will be going to Atlanta for a few days next week (staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Atlanta Perimiter NW). It's a quick trip... but I would really appreciate any advice so I can make the most of it! I've never been to Georgia before.

I will have a few hours free on the day I arrive - is there anything I shouldn't miss? I won't have a car, but am happy to use the public transportation system.

Also - any tips where I should eat dinner? I have two nights... lunch will be through work (all of my meetings will also be at the hotel), but dinner is on my own. I like almost anything - but I will be alone (so need a safe area for after dark), and really don't like to eat at the "chain" restaurants.

Any ideas/tips/suggestions are most appreciated!

Thank you!
    If you're happy and you know it - wag your tail!

Perimeter is mostly mall-area. Lots of restaurants, but most are chains. And, I'm not sure what public transportation is available up there. (Oy - I'm not helping much, am I???)

I would go downtown and see the aquarium -- that's our biggest attraction, I think.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Is that the Crown Plaza on Power's Ferry Rd? If so, you won't be very close to public transportation or to any of Atlanta's attractions. The aquarium is a popular tourist spot. There are many others -- CNN, World of Coca-Cola, Stone Mountain, The High Museum, MLK Historic Site, Carter Center. It depends on what interests you and how easily you'll be able to get around town. Unfortunately, Atlanta is very car-centric

I live on the opposite side of town so I'm not incredibly familiar with restaurants in that area. There's one I've been to that is good -- Ray's on the River -- and it's probably less than a mile from the hotel. There's some other non-chain restaurants in the area but I've never eaten at any of them so can't make recommendations. The hotel might be able to give you some suggestions.
    2004 Colnago Chic - WTB Deva
    2008 Blue RC7 - WTB Deva
    2009 Colnago Master X-lite - WTB Deva

You could eat at Emeril's Restaurant.....Yummmmm......

http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=2455
    I am never down. I am either up or getting up.

Oh -- good catch, Skibum (hi! how the heck have you been?) That hotel is really not in the Perimeter Mall area at all, and probably off the buslines. It's right off our summer Wednesday night bike ride, so if you have you're bike, I can send you a link to a fun loop.

If you do go downtown, some 'Atlanta' restaurants are Dailey's, Mick's, or try to get to the midtown area for the Flying Biscuit. Thumbs Up is also good, but none are close to your hotel.

I know folks love the CNN Tour -- I'm in the business, so I always forget about that one!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Oh, darn. That's what I was afraid of - it sounded like it was a little out of the action. It was -7 degrees at my house this morning, so even with the cold snap I'm sure it's much warmer in Georgia; I'll make the best of it! Maybe I'll do some walking around (in the comparative heat wave - aren't you above freezing today?) to see what I can find for food. There must be something! I'll see if I can check out Ray's - Thanks! (Whoa! Maybe not... I just looked at the website, and one meal would blow my entire food budget. But - is it really good?)

My afternoon off just got squashed, too - I'm booked on a flight that arrives at 4:00, now... and I have a 7:30pm meeting (at the hotel, of course). Maybe I'll just hole-up in my room and watch cable. I only get two channels at home, so that will be new!

But - here's the great news! My work approved my request to add a leg onto the trip, so I'm going to visit my friend in Florida before I head back home. I only had to pay the difference in flight cost - so $69.50! Now, that's lucky. So - Friday night through Tuesday afternoon I get to visit Pete! With my budget right now, I didn't think I would see him this year.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Haudlady; 01-03-2008 at 07:41 AM.
    If you're happy and you know it - wag your tail!

Quote Originally Posted by Haudlady View Post
    Hello! I just found out that I will be going to Atlanta for a few days next week (staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Atlanta Perimiter NW). It's a quick trip... but I would really appreciate any advice so I can make the most of it! I've never been to Georgia before.

I will have a few hours free on the day I arrive - is there anything I shouldn't miss? I won't have a car, but am happy to use the public transportation system.

Also - any tips where I should eat dinner? I have two nights... lunch will be through work (all of my meetings will also be at the hotel), but dinner is on my own. I like almost anything - but I will be alone (so need a safe area for after dark), and really don't like to eat at the "chain" restaurants.

Any ideas/tips/suggestions are most appreciated!

Thank you!
    I second what the others said. It looks like you'll be out of reach for the Marta rail or buses, but there are taxi's of course. I went in Nov. to the High Museum and they have the "Louvre Atlanta", I highly suggest that, it is lovely. It's downtown on Peachtree St. a block or so off 10th and 14th. I don't know much about eateries, I have a friend that goes to Atlantic Station a lot which is where there are sightseeing and shopping venues. Enjoy your trip. Jennifer

This may be too late, but...

I actually work in this area....not any public transport, unfortunately.
    But in addition to Ray's (which is delish, but $$$$) there are quite a few restaurants on Powers Ferry, most of which are chains. There is an area close by off of Hwy. 41 called Vinnings that has some good places to eat and shop around (including a bike shop!) The desk clerk at your hotel can point you in the right direction!
    There is also Cumberland Mall close by with the requisite food court.
    This area is about 10 miles from downtown, where most of the attractions are. You'd have to take a cab if you won't have a car.
    I hope you enjoy your time in Hotlanta!
    Cyclists know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.