Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beans, beans are good for the heart...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Can I post this anonymously?

I am trying to eat more vegetarian meals which of course includes beans. I love them and want to eat more. Of course, I do not like the gassy results and I've tried Beano to no avail. They suggest 2-3 tabs with your first bite. 3 is not working for me. Has anyone found success? Tried more than 3 tabs?

I've read that you can reduce the effects by presoaking dried beans and then draining them. I prefer canned beans and I like to use the liquid from the can. Would I be better off draining and rinsing them?

Will my body eventually get used to eating more beans? When?
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Your body will eventually get used to eating beans.

Throwing some garlic into the mix supposedly helps reduce the gas. Can't say I've really noticed a difference, but it might be worth trying.

I eat a LOT of beans. They don't bother me nearly as much now as they once did.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

hi, K-girl - We eat a lot of beans in my house, often for breakfast, as soups and chilis are some of my favorite winter breakfasts - we haven't had Beano in the house for years. I use canned beans (Goya, from a "beany" culture is our pick for both price and quality) quite a lot, and I do rinse them. I don't think there's anything special in that canned juice. Black-eyed peas are supposed to be one of the easiest varieties to digest, and I think the little white beans are easier, too, so you might want to rely on those a little more while your system acclimates. Macrobiotic friends used to say a little piece of kombu (a kind of seaweed, you can get it in healthfood stores) made beans more digestable, too.

One of the reasons I like plenty of beans in my diet is the beneficial effects they reportedly have on blood sugar. Before my weight loss and cycling habit, I was insulin-resistant and well on my way to diabetes. In fact, there is an idea out there that people of native heritage pretty much NEED beans in their diet for their bodies to work right, that it's practically a symbiotic relationship.

I eat meat now, but when I was veggie, I made a black-eyed pea & red pepper chili sauté that was sooo good.... I think I'll make some now!

Second the vote for adaptation. I eat a lot of beans. Those don't tend to be the problem--cabbage, not *that* is a problem.

If you're cooking a mexican/southwestern flavor, consider adding epazote. There is a claim that it reduces the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Throwing some garlic into the mix supposedly helps reduce the gas.
    oh boy.
    bad breath and flatulence

I'm with the rest, your body will adjust. Just be careful doing those sit-ups at the gym.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Eden brand canned beans include kombu seaweed, which is supposed to promote digestibility. Eden also does not use BPA in their can liners.

I hardly ever use canned beans, though. They're so easy and quick to cook in the pressure cooker. Get one of Lorna Sass's cookbooks. Soaking overnight or even longer definitely makes them easier to digest. If I soak them more than 12 hours I usually change the water. (Discard all the soaking water, or use it on your garden or houseplants, don't use it for cooking.) So it takes that little bit of planning, but that's not much.

You can make a big batch of unseasoned beans and freeze them in convenient portion sizes. Then they're almost as convenient as canned, way cheaper, you can have any variety of heirloom beans, and they're in your own reusable containers.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 12-30-2007 at 12:35 PM.

I haven't read everyone's responses . . . but yes, rinse the beans thoroughly! It will definitely help with the gas. I had the same problem until I started rinsing them. So much better!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Drain and rinse off your canned beans. When using dried beans, change the soaking water at least once, and then also drain and rinse before cooking.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

in addition to some of the above, add turmeric.

I feel sorry for your students.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

My grandma used to add winter savory and summer savory (herbs) and said it helped with the gas. They are hard to find fresh - have to grow them yourself if you want them fresh.

Don't know if it really works, but Grandma was pretty smart!

I know what you are talking about; however. I go on and off of healthy eating kicks (usually eat pretty well, but sometimes don't eat quite as many beans, veges and fruit). I'm back to upping all my beans, fruit and veges, as well as oatmeal in the morning. It takes me a couple of weeks to get used to the increase in consumption of gassy foods.

Hang in there, it will get better. Back off a little for a day or two and up again. It's just like anything else, you have to up your increase in healthy foods a little at a time, just like training on the bike or adjusting your saddle!

spoke

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I feel sorry for your students.

V.

LOL!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I have heard drinking abit hot water with lemon juice is supposed to help.

But hey, I only have bean dishes several times a year. It does gas me up.

Really at this time, I have no desire to conquer bean gas to get onto bean track: You see, yesterday I had too much gas and stomach cramps while sitting on bus for over 5 hrs...after I drank 2 milk-based lattes in 1 day.
    Talk about being scared of a washroom accident..

Never knew my body was this lactose intolerant. It's ok,....don't tell me...I have been eating tofu for most of my life.....since babyhood.

Yeah, keep that lactose away from me! Worse than beans, I tell ya!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

OK, so just to clarify.

I am soaking the beans overnight tonight.

Tomorrow, I discard the water and then cook them in fresh water for X number of hours, until cooked.

Then I discard that water and use as I would canned beans, perhaps adding some of the various herbs etc suggested?

Thank you!