Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Miller Analogies Test - MAT

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am applying for graduate school - heading back as a non-traditional student (I'll be 36 come mid Jan) - yikes!!! I want to get my masters degree in counseling.

I have to take either the GRE or the Miller Analogies Test and have opted to take the second. I purchased a book that has CD Software and have taken three practice exams. I have scored only 48-52 correct out of 100 I know this test is scored differently but can't find an explanation in the book or online as to how it is scored I know that a 48, for example, isn't a 48%. If it isn't a 48, then WHAT IS IT????

I graduated in my bachelor program with a 3.76 and testing has never been a problem for me. I recently re-licensed (Social Worker) after 11 years of staying home with the kids and scored higher on the exam to relicense than I did when I originally took the exam.

My scores on the practice exam have me a bit freaked out. I have to study, and that should bring the score up a bit. My program that I am applying requests a pretty low entrance score on the exam (36, I believe)

Have any of you taken the Miller Analogies Test? How did you score? Do you understand the scaling process? Can you explain the scaling process? Do you know of any statistical data that I can look at to put my mind at ease?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

If your practice test score was 48, and the school requires a 36; doesn't that mean you'd pass? Or does it score the other way?

(I did the GRE, and all I remember was that my scores were better than my PhD-in-physics-and-such-a-glowing-genius ex's scores. That was sweeeeeeet!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

The scores are scaled, similar to how the GRE is scored, so it will be somewhat difficult to figure out the scoring on your own. The practice test should tell you how to figure out what your scaled score would be, I think. If you haven't already picked up a test prep book, I highly recommend it.

Here's another resource. And, this one.

As a former test prep teacher, I can offer these tips... Just remember: Use the process of elimination to increase your chances of selecting the correct answer. Skip the more difficult questions, but come back and answer them at the end - don't leave any answers blank. You don't lose points for wrong answers, so statistically, you're better off choosing the same letter every time than randomly selecting a letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh View Post
    The scores are scaled, similar to how the GRE is scored, so it will be somewhat difficult to figure out the scoring on your own. The practice test should tell you how to figure out what your scaled score would be, I think. If you haven't already picked up a test prep book, I highly recommend it.

Here's another resource. And, this one.

As a former test prep teacher, I can offer these tips... Just remember: Use the process of elimination to increase your chances of selecting the correct answer. Skip the more difficult questions, but come back and answer them at the end - don't leave any answers blank. You don't lose points for wrong answers, so statistically, you're better off choosing the same letter every time than randomly selecting a letter.
    Thanks for the links. I may have checked them out about a month ago, I will check them out to make sure I didn't miss something.

Also thanks for the pointer on choosing the same letter every time - I had heard that before, but from someone who lends no validity to anything whatsoever -
    I do believe you, though!!!
    I have a book and will study. It is just time that I seem to be lacking!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    If your practice test score was 48, and the school requires a 36; doesn't that mean you'd pass? Or does it score the other way?

(I did the GRE, and all I remember was that my scores were better than my PhD-in-physics-and-such-a-glowing-genius ex's scores. That was sweeeeeeet!)

Yeah, I ASSUME that would pass, as it does mean that I surpassed the score required to get in (I think) -

I just really like a solid answer - none of this "it depends on how everyone else scores" business! What do you do with that?? Hope that on the day that I test, all of the scores of the rest of the people whom my score will compare against will be complete idiots??

I just need a number to beat that is a solid number, not a guesstamate.

Can you tell that I tend to be a little type A???