Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hysterectomy

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know this was a measured decision for most of you, but we sound so glib about it. My goal is to get to the grave with all my parts. My mom had one at 45 (my age, now) because of fibroids. I have fibroids, but no problems with them normally. Two of my SILs had hysterectomies with barely a blink of thought beforehand.

Am I the only one who questions how quickly we seem to want to do this in this country? Did any of you consider alternatives before you agreed, or did you just not want to know?

Karen

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I had a total hysterectomy 3 years ago. I've never regretted it.

I had the abdominal incision and I recovered well from it. I spent 4 days in the hospital and I was up and walking quickly post-op. What I learned was that 6 weeks is the average period of recovery before assuming work, but it will actually take you a full year before you're feeling 100%. I noticed that I would get fatigued quickly and would need to sit or lay down more often, but around 6 months I was feeling much better and had more endurance. I also noticed that mentally I wasn't as sharp, that I would forget easily or not remain on task very well. On the up side, I don't have the mood swings, cravings, bloating or tenderness that came with my period. It is so nice to not have to plan for that monthly inconvenience.

It was nice to be pampered by hubby and friends during my recovery. And when the doctor says to not lift anything over 5 lbs, he means it. You will need someone to help you with housekeeping, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. You'll probably won't be driving for the first 2 weeks post-op either.

You'll probably want to stock up on pj's with a drawstring waist for your swelly belly. And also shoes that you can slip on without tying.

Here's a fun website that offers a lot of information about hysterectomies, hormone replacement therapy, bio-identical hormone therapy, changes in your love life, your body, fun forums, and fun stuff to wear and use during your recovery.

www.hystersisters.com

Good luck and please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I know this was a measured decision for most of you, but we sound so glib about it. My goal is to get to the grave with all my parts. My mom had one at 45 (my age, now) because of fibroids. I have fibroids, but no problems with them normally. Two of my SILs had hysterectomies with barely a blink of thought beforehand.

Am I the only one who questions how quickly we seem to want to do this in this country? Did any of you consider alternatives before you agreed, or did you just not want to know?

Karen

Karen - I did consider alternatives and tried them. April 7 I had a D&C that helped for exactly one week. Prior to that I had tried any number of remedies to stop the bleeding - everything except hormones because I am at high risk for breast cancer. Nothing stopped it because of one fibroid that was so embedded in the wall of the uterus that it could not be removed by the D&C. My doctor said he could try to cauterize it (I know there is another term for the procedure but I can't think of it right now) but he did not hold out much hope that it would solve the problem. By that time - I had been bleeding uncontrollably since before Christmas 2006 - I was at my wits' end and just wanted it all to stop.

There were times when I would change everything, re-load so to speak, and get 10 feet from the bathroom and have to run back again. I cannot tell you how awful it was. I could not ride my bike; I could not go out; if I was at my office I could not go out into the field like I should because I could not be away from a bathroom. The doctor had no idea how long it would last.

Finally, on a bike ride on March 31, 2007, I realized I was so weak I had to do something. I could not climb hills that are usually easily manageable for me. I had to cut a 54 mile birthday ride with a friend short because I did not have the energy to make it.

The hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did. Glib or not, it solved the problem for me and enabled me to return (slowly) to a normal life. I would not have it any other way. I will not use HRT and because of that I was thrown headlong into menopause two weeks after my surgery. I can stand the hot flashes and everything else that goes with it because at least I am not bleeding to death and embarrassing myself in public....

It may not be the best choice for everyone and I do not recommend having it done on a whim - it IS major surgery, after all - but if it is the most logical and sensible choice, then go for it.
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Tuckerville,

I don't think most people walk into major surgery glibly. My story was similar to IFJane, but I had fibroids and endometriosis. There gets to be a point where there is no point in dealing with the pain, discomfort, and lack of life. Seriously, your life revolves around access to a toilet at all times.

There have been advances in surgery that lessen the severity of the procedure, but it doesn't make the surgery easy.

Everyone must (and may) make their own choices and the more voices the better.

sarah

Not glib--well thought and well considered even though I was under forty at the time (the ovaries stayed). For me it was a quality of life issue. I am thankful that I wasn't born 100 years ago because my options would have been limited. I shudder at the thought.

That said, my glib response is...has anyone else read "Even the Queen" by Connie Willis? It is a heavily tongue and cheek short story about removing menstruation and the world that results. I guess I don't feel the need to keep my parts if all they were doing was causing me excrutiating pain.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
    Tuckerville,

There gets to be a point where there is no point in dealing with the pain, discomfort, and lack of life. Seriously, your life revolves around access to a toilet at all times.

sarah
    I understand this completely, having had a similar choice to make with regard to my herniated disks (except I was bedbound, not toilet-bound).

I know it was not an easy decision for most people (except my SIL's, who seem to take every word out of a doctor's mouth as gospel, and some doctors just can't be trusted, in my opinion). I guess the stories that were posted here did not include everything that happened before the hysterectomy that lead to the decision, and that's what gives them an air of nonchalance.

I feel the same way about inducing labor and c-sections--there are really good reasons to do both, but sometimes they're rushed into without a lot of thought.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post

Karen
    Well, yes and no. I had tried to treat my problems for years. In the end, I had cysts, a pelvic mass, endometriosis, a polyp, you name it. It all needed to come out before cancer developed. I have never regretted my decision, particularly since I gave it a fair shot before resorting to must-have surgery. Some of these things you can't prevent, even with diet and exercise.

I hoping to avoid getting one!

shewhobikes I feel for you. This time last year I was totally thinking I would be a candidate for the big H and I was dreading it! No health insurance, heck I didn't even have a Doctor since I moved away from my Doctor 5 years ago!

I finally got a Doctor to see me......seems most won't if you haven't got insurance! I was very relieved to find that this Doctor felt that even though yes I had a prolapsed uterus and everything was hanging out! She didn't want to remove healthy organs so I ended up getting fitted for a pessary and it's working ok....I may end up having my bladder tied up as it's not hanging in there too well but good news is we have health insurance now! yay!

Thanks, all, for both the cautions and the encouragement. Sounds like this is what I expected in terms of taking it slowly, listening to the doc and paying attention to my body.

As you all know, it's not just the physical, but emotional/mental health the bike ride brings. It has meant so much to me these last few years I get a little squirrely thinking of doing without (not that I ride hard in the winter much anyway.)
    The best advise I can give you is from my own experience. You will feel so much better shortly after surgery that you will "think" you can do all the things you weren't doing pre-opp, but DON'T!! Even though you can physically do stuff you will pay for it later, years later.......like I am now.

So take this time to heal it's a great excuse to get some hobbies done, catch up on some good books and magazines. Give your bike a good tune up! Shine it up nice for the warm months to come. There are lots of things you can do which won't cause you harm later. Enjoy the down time we don't often have a good excuse to lay around and do *coff*coff* 'nufin!

Wishing much success with your surgery and a complete recovery!

~Kate
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

No thought on my part. My fibroid pushed up out of the back of my uterus and nestled in to my bowel, blocked it and almost killed me. I was so sick they could have cut my head off and I would not have cared.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchic View Post
    I may end up having my bladder tied up as it's not hanging in there too well....
    I had this procedure and I've been very happy with the results. I didn't have pain and could work the next day.

Precision Tack® Transvaginal Anchor System is a device that restores urinary function by returning the urinary anatomy to its proper position in a minimally invasive procedure.

No abdominal incision is required and a small incision is made in the vaginal wall. Two small tacks are placed in the pubic bone and a sling is inserted into the vagina and attached to the tacks with sutures. The sling supports the bladder, bladder neck, urethra, and urethral sphincter so urine can flow and be held properly.
    www.urologychannel.com

Wow. After reading all this I realize how lucky I was to get everything taken care of with the NovaSure procedure.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I had one and I am mixed about it.

My recovery was fast! Honestly. I have two HUGE incisions due to ovarian cysts. The initial one was wrapped around kidneys and the second one (the one that caused the hysterectomy) was attached to my bowel.

I am stubborn so I don't think I took the time to heal. I was walking hills in less than a week and was back to work in a week. I have an 8" scar and a 6" scar from incisions. I was riding within two weeks though I couldn't even pick up my bike.

I think physically you can recover quickly if you're in shape for it. Mentally it's iffy. You have to sign a "permanent sterilization" form. I didn't want children so it was ok but still, it was kind of harsh. My stomach muscles just didn't come back the same way. I think in some ways, I didn't go through normal "female" stuff and I kind of miss that.

I only had the hysterectomy on the advice of my surgeon. He felt I was at a huge risk for cancer with the cysts and then the hormones so he felt it best. I trust his judgment though I kind of wish I had at least ONE ovary!! And while at the time I thought I made the best decision, I wish I would have investigated somewhere that would have left me more intact.

But as far as healing goes, it's not so bad. I figure it's all in what you make of it. I wish in a lot of ways none of it would have ever happened but if you do everything you can and make the most informed decision you can make, it's ok.

Oh and in less than a year, I rode a lot of the Calif coast on a 580 mile bike ride. THAT was fun

I've never heard anyone else say that their stomach muscles were affected by surgery. I had two c-sections--one scar up and down and one side-to-side. (The resulting "anchor" on my belly would be funny if it weren't so horrific.)

I don't think my muscles respond like they should, either, especially very low. Annoying as h***.

Karen

stomach muscles after hysterectomy

Hi again Shewhobikes (and Tuckerville) Not glib here either, just happy to have my life healthy and strong. My uterus was the size of a 14 week pregnancy, and I had to lift it off of my urethra to be able to urinate in the last month before my surgery. My periods were irregular and unbelieveably heavy. I was lucky to avoid transfusions, and by the end of my uterus's life the Dr was surpressing my ovaries with drugs to prevent blood loss. One low point was when I was on an airplane with no bathroom, and I just started to gush. I soaked not only my clothes, but the cloth airplane seat. Well those memories do make it easy to be glib now! Anyway, I have had 3 laparotomies (the bikini line type incision, wide, but low) and one laparoscopic surgery. And I am pleased to say that I have a strong flat tummy. The lower bikini line incision that has been opened 3 times ( 2 ovarian cysts and hysterectomy) is a bit indented, but not that noticeable. The laparoscopy was to remove my ovaries when the 3rd ovarian cyst occurred. Those scars are barely noticeable. As a nurse, I have had patients with ovarian cancer. So I am glad to have them both gone. One thing to consider before surgery, since you have time, is to build up your core strength. When your stomach is sore, standing up straight and using your core and back muscles instead of bending forward will be easier. I like Mark Verstegen's book and his stability ball core workout DVD. The core strength has really helped my cycling! Best wishes for a healthy recovery! Carol

Thanks everyone

Lots of good advice and encouragement here.

A couple wondered if this decision was made with due regard. Well, here's the deal. I had an abnormal pap smear in early November followed by 2 biopsies that showed severe dysplasia and pre-cancerous cells in the margins. So there is really no sensible option.

And yes, I have always done an annual pap, and last year's came back normal, so ladies, do NOT put this off.

I will have the ovaries out, as I am almost menopausal anyway, with only a couple of periods this year, and those were heavy and protracted to the point that I had to go home from work.

My goal is to be as healthy going into surgery as I can, to then be patient with my healing, and be excited to start riding in the spring when I feel better.

Thanks,
    SWB