Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Little Red 2008

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    I was at a Bonneville Cycling Club meeting today and heard the very disturbing news that they came VERY close to having to cancel LRRH altogether this year. Apparently the Utah Highway Patrol would not sign off on the permit due to too complaints regarding riding behavior and impeding traffic. They managed to convince UHP to issue the permit but it was close.

So this year's catch phrase will be "Don't ride too wide". UHP will also issue citations to riders who impede traffic. Even though riding 2 abreast is legal, that is only the case if you don't impede traffic. And the 5-6-7-etc abreast that we all saw last year is just nuts!

The new route was designed to help alleviate the problem (plus some other safety issues). They will also change the start so there will be separate groups based on riding speed, with the fastest riders starting first. That will avoid the fast riders having to overtake bunches of slow riders and being forced to swing wide to do so. There will also be a roving course marshall in a car w/ a PA or bullhorn reminding riders not to ride too wide.

I know it's preaching to the choir on this board, but please help spread the word to your friends & acquaintances. If we want this great ride to continue, we MUST all ride responsibly. I would just hate for this year to be the last LRRH ever. And we want SadieKate to be able to save her breath for riding, not having to yell "Car back!!!" to umpteen idiots! (Whoosh!)

As an aside, they're already over halfway towards capacity with registrations, so don't wait to sign up!
    Thanks for posting and it's not surprising, unfortunately. I'll hope that the safety reminders and usual group riding road rules will be followed by every rider, so that this ride can continue. It's unfortunate that previous rides had behavior that threatened continuing this. I've done a lot of centuries and longer, in large groups and know that it takes each rider to commit to following the rules of the road and practicing safe riding, as we each reflect on cyclists as a whole to the drivers out there. One boneheaded move by an inconsiderate or unthinking cyclist can stick in the minds of all who view it and we all seem to get smeared by it, eh?
    I'm glad that the UHP is giving another chance...as I'm registered and will be heading there from Seattle to enjoy the ride.
    On our club's annual double century, the Seattle to Portland ride, there are about 8,000 riders who participate and do it in either 1 or 2 days, so the starting line is crowded and it seems to work well to have riders start in a wave of about 100 every 10 minutes or so. I think it sounds like a good change to try the same for the LRRH.
    Tailwinds!
    Mary

I'm amending my intentions, downgrading from the century. As of LRRH, I'll be 11 1/2 weeks pregnant, and don't want to get my heart rate over 140. That puts my comfy pace at a blistering 13-14 mph, not exactly conducive to a century. So I'll be doing the metric at most, more likely the 45.

It's my first, and if I had consciously realized that I wouldn't be able to diet for a year, I prolly would have dropped a few more pounds before hopping on the babywagon, but here I am. My first appointment is in a week and a half, so I hope by then I'll know if it's one bean in there, but I'm crossing my fingers for two!

So I'll see you all there, just a little larger and slower than usual...

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Life's an adventure! http://www.lovenewsjh.blogspot.com

CyclaSutra, Congrats on your great news. Have a happy and healthy pregnancy. Enjoy your slow LRRH, gas prices are so high there is no way I can make it this year.
    Jones

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Thanks, ladies! I am feeling so good right now that I'm sort of paranoid it's going to take a turn for the worse. If the weather would just clear up, I could get some miles in...

I'll be -- obviously -- seeing you at any and all feeding opportunities for LRRH!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Seventeen Days!

Are you ready? LRRH is coming up fast!

Last Saturday, I got in a lot of practice shouting "Car back!" at the Salt Lake Century.

Makes me wonder if it's just Utah with the clueless cyclists. At the Arizona Desert Classic last month, I didn't see nearly the number of cyclists in the middle of the road. Maybe that's cuz of the semis barreling down the highway as we hugged the 4-inch road shoulder?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by CyclaSutra View Post
    My first appointment is in a week and a half, so I hope by then I'll know if it's one bean in there, but I'm crossing my fingers for two!
    How many beans, Cycla??????

Alex - I am so psyched and ready. You???

About Utah clueless cyclists...

With the campaign for 'Share the Road' license plates, I was wondering if the Utah cycling crowd would get it that it would mean that bikes are supposed to share with cars too.

It looks like lots of us share like toddlers, "MINE! MINE! MINE!"

Just one little alien in there...

My record long ride for the season so far? 16 miles on the second nice day that I've managed to drag out the bike. Me= lame. But it felt good, so no reason to doubt I'll be enjoying the 45 or 65. My doc also said not to worry about the HR getting a little higher than 140, but I imagine I'll be enjoying a leisurely 14 mph pace anyway.

I'm bringing a friend who likely will want to go faster/farther, tho.

Flybye, are you camping? I haven't made a rezzy for that yet. Have you stayed at Hyrum Reservoir?

Cyclasutra - Congratulations on your baby. This is your first, right? When are you due? I think that it is great that you are riding - any number of miles you ride will top how many I ever rode while pregnant - and I have three kids!

I haven't heard of Hyrum - there was a lake-ish body of water off of the Highway that leads to and from the city of Logan to Wellsville. It looked flat, not too many trees, but very green. I wonder what that was called. It didn't look big enough to be considered a reservoir.

I have reservations at the Crystal Inn that is right down the road from the park in Wellsville. My husband was planning on coming initially, but he will be staying home to play midwife for our very pregnant dog who will be delivering any time after June 5th. I'm going to be a mother, too - of puppies, that is.

Are you camping with your friend?

CyclaSutra,

I have never camped at Hyrum, but DH did a triathlon there about 2 years ago in July or August. The campgrounds looked very nice. Do remember to bring bug repellent. The mosquitoes were big and very hungry, even in the middle of the day (particularly in the shade).

Alex

The Hundred May Be Out Of My Reach This Year

I haven't gotten the miles in I had hoped, so I think I may need to do the 80. I am going to go to the site and check out the routes and see where I can bail if I need to. Sorry! I was so looking forward to the 100, but wanted to give y'all a heads up now. I am going to try and get some miles in this week, but my longest ride this year has been 20 miles. That ain't good for a century ride. . .
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Picked up my packet last night - getting excited for the ride.

My friend and I will try for the century but not sure how far I will make it. I'm definitely out of shape and gorssly overweight this year.

The LRRH volunteers confirmed that we almost lost our precious ride. And in fact it is in peril for future years. Many many complaints about cyclists taking over the road and not obeying the traffic laws. The UHP denied the permit for the ride at first and only approved it after much begging.

Ladies, let's not loose our favorite ride. Please join me in being slightly naggy on the course to any offenders. My battle cry - "Don't Ride Wide!!!"

Although I plan to still leavel early. I know they beg us not to but I just don't like mass starts - even if they supposedly are dividing up by riding speed. Either way it gets messy and gross.

Hopefully I'll see a few of you on the road.

Remember - Don't Ride Wide!!!!

Thumbs up Hung up the spurs, dusted off the bike....

I'm IN! Iowa Ragbrai-er from years ago, I'm in Utah now, getting back into biking. BUT, crummy weekend weather and poor discipline kept me from training. So much extra weight to lose. BUT, I'm registered for the ride. Short distance, though.

(Glad to see benefits go to Huntman - I'm a breast cancer survivor!)