Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Terry Wild Goose Chase ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

LadyinWhite mentioned this ride in the 2008 goals thread, and it looks interesting. It's a 10-62 mile ride on April 27 at the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Cambridge, MD. Only $35 registration fee, and a cool jersey for $70.

I think I'm going to register. Anyone else?

Would love to go, too....but it's the day after my wedding
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Congratulations, IFJane!
    Hmmm...toss up...Wedding? Girls bike ride??
    Not! Is there a bike-honeymoon planned?

This ride looks like fun.
    That's day-trippable from the D.C. area, too!
    I'm up for it.

edit: Or....weekend it and bring the kayaks, too!! : )
    Last edited by 7rider; 12-28-2007 at 03:49 PM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Thank you Regina!

Believe me, I would LOVE to do the girls-only thing, but the timing is soooo bad! If only it was a week or two later...

There is a bike/honeymoon planned - well, not planned yet - but it will be! Soon-to-be-DH is originally from the Seattle area and I have never been to the Northwest, so we are thinking about something up there. With all the TE'rs there, we shouldn't have much trouble planning cycling routes. We are not honeymooning right after the wedding - just taking off for a couple days afterward and then doing a big honeymoon in the summer - most likely August because I have to be away for work some in June & July.

We are having a casual, cycling-themed wedding with a big-bash party afterward. Any and all ideas are welcomed! (and y'all come! more details later )
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Congratulations, IFJane!
    Hmmm...toss up...Wedding? Girls bike ride??
    Not! Is there a bike-honeymoon planned?

This ride looks like fun.
    That's day-trippable from the D.C. area, too!
    I'm up for it.

edit: Or....weekend it and bring the kayaks, too!! : )
    Yes, congratulations IFJane!

Oooh, what a great idea, Regina! I'm up for a bike/kayaking weekend. I just registered, so I'm at least committed to the bike part.

Hijack--are any of you having trouble logging in to TE? The only way it works for me is to retype my userid and pw in the upper right corner and check "remember me" each time. Otherwise it just keeps sending me to the login page over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Yes, congratulations IFJane!

Oooh, what a great idea, Regina! I'm up for a bike/kayaking weekend. I just registered, so I'm at least committed to the bike part.

Hijack--are any of you having trouble logging in to TE? The only way it works for me is to retype my userid and pw in the upper right corner and check "remember me" each time. Otherwise it just keeps sending me to the login page over and over again.
    IFJane....make your honeymoon plans NOW. If you don't you may never get on one....DH and I never "officially" went on a honeymoon. We got as a gift from some friends a long weekend at a B&B in Lancaster, PA, where we did a lot of cycling and called it our "mini-honeymoon" 8 months later....but still we've not gone anywhere....4.5 years later!

Okay...I registered for this ride...even ordered the extra bike jersey (backordered!). They don't say who the manufacturers are, so I have NO idea what sizes to get...so hopefully, things will fit.
    I may have to get some of those Spinerval parties up and moving, DB, so we can be in shape for this ride! (Wanna do the metric?? It'll be a flat one!)

RE: Your sign-in troubles. Nope. None here. Are you using IE or a browser, or are you trying to log-in through some other software (like AOL software?)?

Much as I hate to registger for anything 4 months in advance... I'm in. And am up for kayaking too. This sounds like a lot of fun.

Martha

Tentative for me but sounds good.
    I have to see how the job thing goes.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I think I'm going to register for the 62 miler.

Hmmm... I usually end up working the last Saturday in April because of our big annual sale. I may have to play the "seniority card" and say that someone else needs to work that day, because this would be a great excuse to get back out to Blackwater again for kayaking (and to bike there for the first time!).

I checked out the site, but don't see anything specifying the mileage for the in-between routes. Anyone have any info on those?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

This is going to be fun! The pdf file has a bunch of hotels listed, so that will be helpful if we take the kayaks and make a weekend of it.

Tam, all the info we've got is what's on the Terry site. I tried calling, but their office is open M-F. Might be worth a call on Monday.

I don't know if I'll be up for the 62 mile ride by April either. I'm sure they'll have several rides between 10 and 62.

LadyinWhite will have lots of TE company!

I'd be up for an in-between'er ride with a leisurely paddle the following day. I'll try to remember to call on Monday about the different routes.

Man, I'm gonna be keeping the pet sitter busy this year, too
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I'd be up for an in-between'er ride with a leisurely paddle the following day. I'll try to remember to call on Monday about the different routes.

Man, I'm gonna be keeping the pet sitter busy this year, too
    The ride is on Sunday.
    I was sort of envisioning paddling on Saturday, biking Sunday.
    Would you be able to pull rank and do that, Tam, or are you thinking a Sunday bike - Monday paddle sort of thing? Or...multisport! Bike in the a.m., paddle in the afternoon!!

RE: Four Routes...I'm guessing 10, 25, 40 or 45, and the metric.
    And c'mon.....let's shoot for the metric. It's flat, and it'll be a motivating challenge to be fit enough for it by the end of April. Janice...I'm not worried about, as you'll have plenty of time in the saddle by then. It's the rest of us! Well, except Velobambina, too!

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Tentative for me but sounds good.
    I have to see how the job thing goes.
    Good luck on the job thing, Zen
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Blackwater has marked kayak and bicycle routes.

Here is the link for the bike info
    http://www.fws.gov/blackwater/cycling.html

and a map of the makred routes (Not necessarily the Terry routes)
    http://www.fws.gov/blackwater/pdf/bikemap.pdf

and here is the link for paddling
    http://www.fws.gov/blackwater/paddling.html

They recommend you buy a water trail map from the "Friends of Blackwater" when you get there. I have friends that have gotten somewhat well, distracted, paddling in similar environments so this is probably a good idea.

I'm thinking I might go over there in the next couple of months and maybe can do some reconnaisance, and perhaps to select a motel near the refuge, but that's also in a safe neighborhood (for our bikes and boats).

Martha