Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

We have been overwhelmed by the response to this tour. So much so, that we've accepted reservations from 400 riders, 100 more than we planned for. We would love to accommodate even more, but we want to make sure we organize the ride properly and don't get ourselves into more than we can handle. We plan to offer this ride again in 2009 and we hope you'll be able to ride with us then. Thanks to all of you for your unflagging support and enthusiasm for this great cause. We will maintain a waiting list in case of cancellations. Please email talktous@terrybicycles.com if you'd like to be on this list.

Can you believe it? Thank goodness we jumped in when we did!!!

oh well, that'll teach me to wait too long. i just emailed my sister to see if she was up for this. we'll have to move faster next year, any description of a ride that says "flat" has my interest. :-)

Wow, that sure filled up fast! I'm glad LadyinWhite mentioned it!

I just made a reservation at the Holiday Inn for April 26, just to be sure I've got a room. If withm finds a better hotel, I can always change it. (They charge $95 for a room that you can't cancel, and $99 for one that you can cancel up to 6pm on the day of arrival. Wouldn't everyone preserve the cancellation option since it only costs $4 more???)

This should be a fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    I just made a reservation at the Holiday Inn for April 26, just to be sure I've got a room. If withm finds a better hotel, I can always change it. (They charge $95 for a room that you can't cancel, and $99 for one that you can cancel up to 6pm on the day of arrival. Wouldn't everyone preserve the cancellation option since it only costs $4 more???)

This should be a fun ride.
    Gee now I wish I had gone over there yesterday as originally planned.... Want to figure out kayaking options and which motels are decent biking into Blackwater though we might want cars to put goodie bags and stuff at while we are riding.

Wonder if they arranged a group rate with any of the motels for participants of this event?

Martha

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post

Wonder if they arranged a group rate with any of the motels for participants of this event?

Martha
    Good question!
    I think there's a Hampton Inn up in Easton, and I was sort of leaning towards that. It's in the Hilton family of hotels and I try to use them if I can and if things work out.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Martha

Okay, I just emailed Terry to ask this very question. Will post the response.

It is supposed to be 66 outside today. 66!! In January!

I popped the bike off the trainer and set it outside before the sun was even up. I'm so motivated by this early season ride. I really think it's going to be a great way to keep me riding this winter.

I'm also really looking forward to meeting you gals! I'm keeping an eye open for additional rides that might be of interest. It sounds so fun to me to set up a girl's weekend of dinner, ride and laughs! Besides, who else can we sit and talk about cycling ad naseum with who gets it??

T.

Wild Goose - motels

Okay, I just emailed Terry to ask this very question. Will post the response.
    I almost felt like I was on a wild goose chase looking for a motel.

I got a email back from Terry - they said they tried to negotiate group rates but none of the motels would do that. They recommended Holiday Inn Express. So I called them, and was told no non-smoking rooms were available. Grrr. So I called the next one on the list - the Hyatt. Rooms there were $319/night. A leeeeetle bit pricey since I don't expect to spend much time in the room except to shower and sleep.

So I got a double room at the Days Inn in Cambridge - $129/night plus tax. She said it was about 20 minutes from Blackwater - good enough. Since it's out on Rt. 50, it's got to be a good 10 miles or so - if anyone is thinking of riding over there.

There is a convention or something in town - and a large number of rooms at the Holiday Inn were already booked - but it might have been booked for the Terry contingent.... dunno.

Anyway, if you think you need a motel room, I'd get on the phone NOW and get that reservation. I don't know what else is going on in Cambridge that weekend - could be a big wedding or something, but with a couple hundred cyclilsts looking for rooms I'm thinking they will fill up fast.

Martha

I just booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express via Orbitz. The Hampton Inn in Easton is filled up, so is Kent Island..
    DB, my $99 rate (handicap accessible, so I plan to wheel my bike in for the night! ) is subject to a $25 cancellation fee if more than 48 hrs in advance. Still, I don't PLAN to cancel...and for $4 more...I'll take the non-smoking room.

Sounds like we're all at Holiday Inn Express except withm. I definitely plan to wheel my bike in, handicapped room or no. I do that every year when I stay at the Holiday Inn in Cumberland. That HI has never had an issue with me taking the bike on their elevator.

The poor 'yak, though, will have to spend the night locked to the roof of the car
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    The poor 'yak, though, will have to spend the night locked to the roof of the car
    I'm a bit nervous about this. I haven't found a way to string a lock through my kayak, so I have no idea how to lock it to the car.

Especially since my coworker stayed at a motel on the eastern shore last summer and in the morning his (very expensive) kayak was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Sounds like we're all at Holiday Inn Express except withm. I definitely plan to wheel my bike in, handicapped room or no. I do that every year when I stay at the Holiday Inn in Cumberland. That HI has never had an issue with me taking the bike on their elevator.

Hey no fair! They told me NO "no-smoking" rooms were available. There is no way I'm staying in a smoking room. They offered me a room w/ king size bed but I'm going with a friend and we're not that close that I want to share a bed with her. She's on the waiting list for the ride, but she will paddle with us.

On the kayak lock, my kayak has a sort of panel molded in at the seat area that I can run a cable through, and then lock it to the rack on the car. Nothing is foolproof, but it will slow them down if nothing else. Then again not sure my kayak is worth stealing but I like it and would be upset if it went missing.

Hey no fair! They told me NO "no-smoking" rooms were available. There is no way I'm staying in a smoking room. They offered me a room w/ king size bed but I'm going with a friend and we're not that close that I want to share a bed with her. She's on the waiting list for the ride, but she will paddle with us.
    I'll call the Holiday Inn Express tomorrow and double check that I have a non-smoking room with two double beds, and if I do, you can get a non-smoking king-size bed room and I'll switch with you. Would that work? Or is it worth the trouble?

On the kayak lock, my kayak has a sort of panel molded in at the seat area that I can run a cable through, and then lock it to the rack on the car. Nothing is foolproof, but it will slow them down if nothing else. Then again not sure my kayak is worth stealing but I like it and would be upset if it went missing.
    I think I have a king also. Hope you can switch (and I hope mine is really non-smoking!).
    My Dagger has a molded in spot with a stout metal bracket specifically for locking it up. My Necky does not. It might have a hole in the seat, tho...that's a good idea. Perhaps b/t now and then, I'll have to hit up Home Depot or similar to fashion a long enough chain to get around the boats.
    Incidently, if DH does not come along for the weekend (and I suspect he won't) to join us for the paddle and to do his own ride, I will have a second boat availabe for use on Saturday. It's a 13' recreational boat that can fit a wide range of paddlers (presuming you are not tiny or giant) and it's very stable with a rudder for easy steering. Let me know if you would like to join us...I can haul the boat and gear, all I'll need is a strong set of arms to help launch and re-load it.

I'm riding the Terry Wild Goose Chase too!

I signed up with a friend and we're planning on doing the 40 mile ride.

I'm new to the TE forum. I live in Baltimore and would love to meet other TE members in the area!

Any TE members from the Baltimore/Washington area that cross country ski? Anyone available during the week to go to WV/western MD or PA?

Looking forward to the ride in April!