Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    The ride is on Sunday.
    I was sort of envisioning paddling on Saturday, biking Sunday.
    Would you be able to pull rank and do that, Tam, or are you thinking a Sunday bike - Monday paddle sort of thing? Or...multisport! Bike in the a.m., paddle in the afternoon!!
    I'm thinking the same thing you are, paddle Sat/pedal Sun. I'm still too wimpy for multi-sport in the same day. I hope the unsuspecting folk visiting Blackwater on those days won't be too overwhelmed by us
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    I have friends that have gotten somewhat well, distracted, paddling in similar environments so this is probably a good idea.

I'm thinking I might go over there in the next couple of months and maybe can do some reconnaisance, and perhaps to select a motel near the refuge, but that's also in a safe neighborhood (for our bikes and boats).
    Well, I will definitely bring my handheld GPS along (to be delivered Monday!) because if it's possible to get lost, I will get lost.

That would be great if you could scope out the motel situation, Martha.

Regina, I will have plenty of sub-60 minute rides in by April, but a metric is a whole 'nother story. And even on my best day, a metric is not a morning event, so a multi-sport day is probably not in the cards for this tortoise.

And besides, I'm going to hang around after the ride and win that free bike!

I sent in my check/enrollment this morning. Hopefully, they haven't reached their 300 max yet.

You local kayakers---I've been tempted to try it. The Potomac is so close... Do any of you know of good places to take lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    You local kayakers---I've been tempted to try it. The Potomac is so close... Do any of you know of good places to take lessons?
    I went out paddling with Kalidurga and Regina once, then I took a lesson at REI's Outdoor School. It was an all-day class held somewhere northeast of Baltimore (the only one available at the time was out of the Timonium, MD store, but they have them in Virginia also). I was happy with it. Next spring I'll have to take the class that teaches you all the safety stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    Potomac Paddlesports was fantastic when I learned from them a few years ago. I did a couple of day trips (including the one at Blackwater), then signed up for most of the sea kayaking lesson series. Very thorough and very fun, and got me comfortable on the water very quickly.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I'm going to check them out.

I try to row for crosstraining--don't do it enough, though. Kayaking seems like something that I might be able to get my husband interested in doing w/me. He doesn't ride w/me because he insists on riding a hybrid and keep keep up. LOL.

Wow - what fun! I'm so excited that there will be other TE's there! Two of my g/f are coming along to do the 10 mile rides, I'll be doing the 62.

I absolutely HAVE to register for these things months in advance to keep me motivated during the winter trainer months :|

I've purchased the jersey and have been looking at the hotels. The Regency spa looks to die for but my budget is more of a Holiday Inn on the Highway.

I got a note back from Terry immediately after registering and it looks to be signed by georgina herself. Do you think that is possible? There is also a little handwritten note on the invoice regarding a shipping charge that is being removed. DH says it looks like she wrote them both but he thinks it is more likely that her staff just signs her name to these things.

I dunno.

Regardless - I was doing the Cycling for Cadence dvd this morning and it was thoughts of this ride that got me through the 5 x 30 max output intervals.

I'm also really excited to check out the Terry bikes that will be available. (DH is LESS excited about that than me )

T.
    Last edited by LadyinWhite; 12-30-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Well, I will definitely bring my handheld GPS along (to be delivered Monday!) because if it's possible to get lost, I will get lost.

That would be great if you could scope out the motel situation, Martha.

Regina, I will have plenty of sub-60 minute rides in by April, but a metric is a whole 'nother story. And even on my best day, a metric is not a morning event, so a multi-sport day is probably not in the cards for this tortoise.

And besides, I'm going to hang around after the ride and win that free bike!
    You sound just like me! I'm being SUPER optimistic thinking I can do the metric by then! I love the tortoise image - slow and steady

I'm looking forward to this ride (assuming they haven't reached the max entry level & I can still get in). This will provide extra motivation to get outside on the bitter cold mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyinWhite View Post

I got a note back from Terry immediately after registering and it looks to be signed by georgina herself. Do you think that is possible? There is also a little handwritten note on the invoice regarding a shipping charge that is being removed. DH says it looks like she wrote them both but he thinks it is more likely that her staff just signs her name to these things.

I dunno.
    T.
    I once sent a saddle question to the generic Terry info address and got back a response from Georgina. Since she answers email questions it's possible she's also involved in this end of things, too.

I wish I could join the fun but this one doesn't fit into my schedule. Have fun everyone!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Just got a call from Georgina Terry and she's thrilled to know that the TE forum has brought in so many registrations for this ride so far. They haven't begun officially advertising it yet, and they've already got about 20 registered participants.

The in-between routes are 25 and 40 miles, as Regina assumed. I'm going to register for the 40.

Kali--Thanks for the great news about the registration numbers. I was a little worried that I missed out!

Well I just reserved a room at the holiday inn. Nothing glamorous but living so far away I couldn't risk not having accomodations. I figure I'll just bring the girl into the room with me rather than leave her on the rack on the car in the parking lot.

nice to have a little something to look forward to as it just keeps getting colder outside.

T.

Arghhh, the Terry website this morning shows that the April 27 ride is already over-registered. They had planned to take 300, but stretched it to 400 because of the demand.......You can sign up for a waiting list and hope for a cancellation.

I've never biked Blackwater, but used to visit there every fall when I lived in Northern Virginia. Gorgeous place!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by KathiCville View Post
    Arghhh, the Terry website this morning shows that the April 27 ride is already over-registered. They had planned to take 300, but stretched it to 400 because of the demand.......You can sign up for a waiting list and hope for a cancellation.
    Wow!!!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle