Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: No riding Here!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Chanting and dancing here on rainy Left Coast.

Ok, I 'fess up. A co-worker in Newton has been pressuring me into a meeting for today that I don't have time for and I know won't be productive. I caved in to his request (and title) and 2 secs later received notice that the Newton office is closing due to the snow. Meeting cancelled!

So I'm at the confessional. I'm so sorry, my subconscious must have caused it. 10 strikes with a flat tube! Must do penance.

Hey! It's working!!

No precip expected until Monday! Keep it up...
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

and its Still beautiful and sunny out here in Albuquerque. But ya'll jinxed me - the high today is only gonna be 51 and tomorrow its only gonna be 48!
    Spazz - I don't have any pixs of myself (read "getting to know you") I hate having my pix taken. But I am gonna bow down and let me dad take a pix of me bike so I can post it here - someday!
    Also, I lived in Indiana for over 20 yrs.....I KNOW what its like to have snow and cold like that. Why do you think I DON"T live there anymore?!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Unhappy

"and its Still beautiful and sunny out here in Albuquerque. But ya'll jinxed me - the high today is only gonna be 51 and tomorrow its only gonna be 48!"

Oh that is so sad Corsairmac. You're breaking my heart. We haven't been above freezing for the last 12 days. It was 3 degrees this morning when I took my kids to school and that's without wind chill, not to mention the snow up to my bum. I need spring bad.

Yeah, When I was out for some flying lessons yesterday morning it was 2 deg! Then today it was 40. Of course that meant I had to go riding today
    Ride it, break it, fixit, ride it...

Talking

Wahooo Ladies,
    Its suppose to be 51 here today. It's that February tease when you think maybe winter is on the way out. HA. I'd ride but there is so much snow piled along the roads it makes it kind of dangerous. There is nowhere to go when some idiot decides to fly by to close. But look at that blue sky ladies. I think I'll head out and get a good dose of Vitamin sunshine.

I actually rode yesterday - Route 125 in Andover is pretty much clear, although the shoulders aren't as wide as they should be. The other roads though were a totally different story - what a mess! Narrower than normal, and covered with puddles that unfortunately weren't just water but included a large dose of sand and salt.

Here's what my poor bike looked like when I got home... needless to say the bike was cleaned and relubed before I hit the shower!

It was a great feeling to be out on the road again, and I can't believe that I'm actually seriously considering heading out again today. I think I'll just ride up and down route 125 a couple of times - that way I might be able to get a ride in without trashing my bike again!
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Yup, just a teaser...but what a great weekend...

I didn't ride though because the shoulders are still so narrow and the water/re-freeze/ice still makes me a little nervous. I may put the mountain bike in the car and do a country road ride tomorrow. I have to take it slow because I am still recovering from the most nasty case of bronchitis...yuck!

karen

Talking

I feel your pain here in the DC area. For the last 2-3 weeks, we've had a couple snowfalls and cold temps (highs in the 30s). Yesterday, it went up to the 50s so I took my bike out to my favorite paved trail. Unfortunately, it was icy every place there was shade. Not fun. I'd get going, feeling good and then encounter a big stretch of rutted ice pack. I stuck it out about 45 minutes then turned for home. It hasn't rained since our last snow so there is sand/salt all over the roads, too. I live in a urban area and riding on the road is not pleasant due to rude, unsafe drivers who have zero respect for cyclists (I saw the aftermath of a cyclist getting hit by a car so I'm wary of risking any real road riding around here). Hopefully, we'll get some rain this week to clean everything up and the temps will stay about 35 degrees. Spring can't get here soon enough.

Denise---I hope you didn't drink out of that water bottle!
    Last edited by Selkie; 02-06-2005 at 01:05 PM. Reason: question for denise after I got a good look at her pic

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick
    ...Spring can't get here soon enough.

Denise---I hope you didn't drink out of that water bottle!
    Suzanne -
    Nope - once the water bottle had a coat of sand and salt I gave up on it. Luckily it wasn't that warm, and I had a good drink from a clean glass when I got home!

Today was a different story though... it was a good 10 degrees cooler than yesterday, but that wonderful sunshine pulled me and my bike outside again. This time I stayed on route 125, which although it carries a bit of fossil-fuel vehicle traffic has a wide shoulder which was clean and dry. So I did an out-and-back ride with a few repeats of some sections of the road. I was happy since I was out on my bike, and my bike was happy since I stayed on dry pavement!

I'm with you though - the real spring can't get here soon enough!
    --- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 02-07-2005 at 08:17 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

It was beautiful this weekend, but I did not venture out on my bike. It's wearing road slicks and I wasn't about to chance the big "BOOM" (the sound of my body hitting the pavement).

I did, however, set up my new trainer (Kinetic Fluid) and begin my "pedal to Cinderella" in earnest. Got a good 45 min in and definitely need to do some seat adjustments - I'm slanting down at the nose a smidge too much. Love the new trainer... it's so quiet compared to my old Cyclops wind. And I'm set up on hardwood floors.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Smile back to life!

I took advantage of the predicted post-super-bowl calling in sick to try my route to work for the first time again today. There are only 3 places left where the road narrows to a lane & a half, of course one of them is about a half mile long. I'm back in business after the longest weather related break in 5 years of commuting. I'm expecting lots of leg cramps tonight (sigh).

welcome back to the wonderful world of commuting newf!! Its gotten to the point I'm not commuting anymore - I'm obsessed! and joining a Virtual RAAM isn't helping the addiction any!......now I'm planning my commute to maximise the miles for the RAAM ride!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Angry Noooooooo

okay ladies snow again. Do we have a bull's eye on Mass this year or what?
    I can't take another foot of snow, especially when I'm reading about all the rides the California crowd is doing. Start chanting.