Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Hemp Milk

Hemp Milk

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yes, you heard me right, hemp milk. You can buy it at Whole Foods, and it comes in three flavors: original, chocolate and vanilla. LOADED with vitamins that we need...omegas 3's and 6's, and has 46% of our calcium needs in one glass. Low in fat and absolutely delicious! And full of protein and for those of us that are lactose intolerant, it is the perfect drink!

Visit livingharvest.com to read up on it.

Lisa

my partner swears by that stuff. luvs the chocolate milk and the hemp "power" bars.

smilingcat

Yum! I like the original flavor. Nice and thick. Not as high-protein as soy milk, but a great alternative.

Has anyone tried to culture it? I kind of doubt it would "take" with lactobacilli (based on my experiences with oat, almond and rice milk, as well as sweetened soy milk), but I've never tried to culture hemp milk with yogurt cultures or any other cultures.

Probably that's because yoghurt culture bacteria use the lactose in milk to ferment.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

What if you bought a cup of soy milk yogurt (unfortunately, all I've seen are flavored cups, no plain) and used that as a starter?

I'm not fond of soy milk, but I really like the soy milk yogurt. Back when I did cow milk I made a lot of my own yogurt, but I haven't tried yet making my own soy milk yogurt. Gotta do that one of these days...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Would this give you a false positive for THC on a drug test?

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I'm not fond of soy milk, but I really like the soy milk yogurt. Back when I did cow milk I made a lot of my own yogurt, but I haven't tried yet making my own soy milk yogurt. Gotta do that one of these days...
    Start with unsweetened soy milk, either homemade or store-bought, and you can use the same proportions you do for dairy yogurt. Lactose is NOT necessary. Sweetened soy milk won't culture, but unsweetened does just fine. If you buy prepared soy milk, Eden brand is best (for a lot of reasons, but in this particular case, because it's the most concentrated). If you make your own, make it pretty concentrated (unfortunately, those soymilk machines make a very thin milk that doesn't culture well).

Quote Originally Posted by roadie gal View Post
    Would this give you a false positive for THC on a drug test?
    Nice try - and maybe so if you make your hemp milk at home with your own, ahem, seeds, but hemp foods sold in the US can't have any detectable THC.

Bummer! Can I blame it on the cream my trainer gave me?

Some may try to make you believe that hemp is related to marijuana. But not even close. Hemp may be in a same family as the cannibis plants but thats about close as it gets.

zero THC in hemp. if you are worried about false positives, eat poppy seed bagel or bread or muffin and take a drug test. They say you'll come up positive. I really don't know about the poppy seed. I do know that hemp will not give you a false positive.

smilingcat

Um, no, "industrial" hemp is Cannabis sativa, one of the same species that gets you high. It's just a different strain that's bred for different properties - just like sweet corn, popcorn and field corn are all Zea mays. I would expect that food hemp and fiber hemp are different strains, too, though I don't actually know that.

But what I said before - food products sold in the US cannot have any detectable THC, and the companies that produce them had to go through hurdle after hurdle to be able to import their product, so you can be sure that they are "clean."

Hi oakleaf,

So the interview I heard on Air America with a hemp milk producer from Canada who claimed zero THC is correct in one sense only, when she said "zero THC in our hemp milk". Otherwise they can't export it into US.

Technically, the industrial hemp does contain trace amounts of THC. but its not zero as this spokesperson said.

I know from talking with my parents, both Japanese, said "we can't understand why the Americans forced the Japanese to ban the growing of hemp. We don't smoke it. We make ropes, paper and other products. We don't have drug problem with hemp..." They scoffed at the thought smoking hemp. I know it produces wonderful fiber for rope, clothing, paper...

And at 0.03% concentration, will you still test positive for THC? Don't think you'll can get high off that. Maybe CO poisoning if you tried. Either way, its pretty stupid.

I just wiki'd for hemp. for some more information.. So thank you. Learned something this morning. heh. Never too old.

smilingcat