Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks MDHillSlug for posting that update! Thanks for checking to see how I was ladies.

They took out a polyp... and otherwise that was all I was told.

I drove down South here in Texas and I am on vacation down here for a few days. Yesterday my insides were sore, but today I'm fine. I got up and ran for 30 minutes.

So all it good... and it's over. And I can't say I want to do it ever again.

Have a wonderful Christmas ladies!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I'm glad that you are OK. Unfortunately, colonoscopy is not a one-time thing. You'll have to do repeats at some frequency. I've had polyps removed, so I've been on 1 year and 3 year repeats. If my next one is good I get to go to 5 year repeats.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I'm glad that you are OK. Unfortunately, colonoscopy is not a one-time thing. You'll have to do repeats at some frequency. I've had polyps removed, so I've been on 1 year and 3 year repeats. If my next one is good I get to go to 5 year repeats.
    Yea... uuummm... in another 5 years... MAYBE. They got their shot.

When I checked in, it was great because the nurse said I might need an enima to get out any remaining stuff and I told her that was where I drew the line and it was NOT going to happen. She saw that I was "cleaned out" and said I wouldn't have to do it. Thank goodness, because I was about to walk out the door.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I am so glad you are ok! I had been thinking about you too. It doesn't sound like too much fun....but at least it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by KSH View Post
    Yea... uuummm... in another 5 years... MAYBE. They got their shot.
    KSH -
    I'm glad to hear that you're OK. But - I highly recommend that you change your attitude towards colonoscopies. The test saves lives because it allows docs to remove polyps before they turn into cancer.

My younger brother died of colon cancer this year. He was 51 years old. Yes, we already had a warning because our dad had colon cancer (and is still alive!). With 1 person in the family with this awful disease, my own colonoscopy cycle was every 5 years, but with 2 (and yes, my brother's cancer appeared inside of that reccommended 5-year colonoscopy window)? Because of the family history I will always be on a 1 to 2 year colonoscopy cycle, 1 year for now because I had a polyp removed in my own colonoscopy this week.

I wasn't going to jump in here because you were asking for help / information about your own test, but I just can't let it go because I know there are many women reading this thread who are scared of this test and who are hearing from you that it is pretty awful (and that you seem to be thinking that you won't go for another one). It's true that the prep is not pleasant, but in my experience (I've had 3 colonscopies so far), the test is nothing to be afraid of.

For my first test, I had the all-liquid prep. I almost threw up, and the next time I asked for something else. That time my prep was half pills, half liquid. Better, but that still made me gag. When I made my appointment this year, I again asked about a different prep. This time the all pills prep (Osmoprep) was much better. At least I didn't feel like I was going to vomit! The nurses told me that in order for it to work properly I needed to continue drinking all day long - 8 ounces of water with each set of 4 pills, plus additional liquid for the rest of the day. They told me Gatorade (not red!) was good, so that's what I drank most of the day. Toward the end I switched to Ginger Ale. How much did I drink? There was the required 8 glasses of water, then probably 2 quarts of Gatorade, then I don't know how many cans of soda, a few. Lots of liquid.

My message to those of you who are putting off this test (assuming that your doc has recommended it) is that the test isn't that bad. The prep is not pleasant but hey - it's only part of a day. Taking that time, and having the test as recommended by your doc can be important to your life.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 12-22-2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Denise, I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

My father-in-law is a 14 year survivor of colon cancer. You bet my husband gets his scopes at proper intervals. Thankfully, they've never found a polyp, and my husband is not a smoker, so his risk is somewhat less. Better safe than sorry.

Karen

Thank you, Denise, for putting things in perspective.

Yep, the colonoscopy prep sucks and mammograms hurt, but cancer kills. Today we have the tests for early detection. We're fools if we don't make use of them because of a little inconvenience.

Karen -
    Thank you. I'm glad to hear that your father-in-law is OK and that your husband is going for his colonoscopy on a regular basis.

Honestly, the reason I added to this thread is that it scared me that people were getting the message that it was OK not to go for this test. I hope that the folks who needed to hear that the test isn't bad are listening...

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.

Denise-

Thank you for sharing. As I stated my own father is in remission from colon cancer. His adoptive father also had it as well. My husbands step-mother saddened and angered me when she told me "I had one colonoscopy and would rather take my chances not having another one." This was while my father was in chemo. The statement was over a year ago but I am still a bit upset.

I sat through my husband's prep and I know it is uncomfortable but I couldn't believe her attitude. Sorry to jump on a soap box but I think it is important for people who have been touched by colon cancer and other disease to remind others that this isn't a test to be taken blown off. My husband is on a five (or is it three?) year plan for his Crohn's and he just takes it as the hand he was dealt. No dread, no whining.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

My mother died from colon cancer at the age of 66, and I still miss her every single day. She was dignosed at age 59, and it had already spread. She was fortunate to outlive the doctors prognosis of one more year, and survived another 7 years.

My sister, brothers, and I all remind each other when we feel like letting those colonoscopy appointments slide for just a little longer. No, it is not pleasant, but it is far better than what our mother went through. You do what you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg View Post
    Karen -
    Thank you. I'm glad to hear that your father-in-law is OK and that your husband is going for his colonoscopy on a regular basis.

Honestly, the reason I added to this thread is that it scared me that people were getting the message that it was OK not to go for this test. I hope that the folks who needed to hear that the test isn't bad are listening...

--- Denise
    Well you are right Denise... and I'm sure I'm just over dramatic. If I had a history of colon cancer, the prep wouldn't seem all that bad. I'm very sorry to hear about your family. It's very sad.

For each person... one's tolerance is difference. Where I may suffer... another may not. Where I might be annoyed... another may not.

I certainly won't say anything else negative towards it.

If someone should get it done... then get it done. And TAKE THE PILLS.

From everything I have read, the pills make the prep much less miserable. I also learned that you need to take the pills early to clean you out... since they take so long to work. I wish I had taken them at 4:00 PM as I was told... since they weren't going to work for another 2-3 hours. I was so scared they would work immediately, I refused to take them until I got home from work.

If I had a history of colon cancer, the prep wouldn't seem all that bad.

For each person... one's tolerance is difference. Where I may suffer... another may not. Where I might be annoyed... another may not.

...From everything I have read, the pills make the prep much less miserable. I also learned that you need to take the pills early to clean you out... since they take so long to work. I wish I had taken them at 4:00 PM as I was told... since they weren't going to work for another 2-3 hours. I was so scared they would work immediately, I refused to take them until I got home from work.
    You're certainly right about everyone's tolerance being different. And I'm sorry if I came across too strongly, but your post after your test indicating that you might ignore the doc's instructions about repeating the test in 5 years was giving people the message that this test is not important. And it really is.

Even without a history of colon cancer - I highly recommend that everyone follows their doc's recommendation for this test. I knew two people without a family history who died of colon cancer.

I find it very interesting that the doc I go to says to start the prep at 1 PM. Every other person I've talked to has been told to start at 4.

Funny, my doc's office always calls the day before the procedure to make sure I don't have any questions. The first time I had a colonoscopy, they called in the morning. When I indicated I was going to wait until 1 to start the prep, they advised me to start earlier. The comment "you can't eat anyway, so you might as well get started" really hit home for me. This time I started my prep at noon. I was quite happy to be finished and in bed for a good night's sleep by 10.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 12-23-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

Well you are right Denise... and I'm sure I'm just over dramatic. If I had a history of colon cancer, the prep wouldn't seem all that bad. I'm very sorry to hear about your family. It's very sad.

I certainly won't say anything else negative towards it.

If someone should get it done... then get it done. And TAKE THE PILLS.

KSH- Didn't mean to be snippy about your feelings after the test. I haven't even had the test, just seen what it can help people beat. I am pretty sure I will whine, dread and complain about it when my time comes. That is just how I am.

Hope everything is okay with the polyps and you have a Merry Christmas.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan