Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tips for running with a partner?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

An acquaintance of mine asked me to do some morning runs with her. Knowing I want to get out more regularly, I said yes, and we are giving it a go tomorrow morning. She did the same duathlon I did this fall and wants to just keep the winter poundage off. So, I think we're just going to do quick jaunts around the neighborhood a few mornings a week, 3 miles max.

I am a little nervous, though, because I've only run alone. Anyone have any advice for me? What makes a good running buddy? Or a less-than-ideal running buddy?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    You'll figure out pretty quickly if running with her is recovery for you, recovery for her, on the edge for one of you, or just right. Rarely are they just right. But sometimes its better to modify your workout a little bit in order to run with someone. You end up helping each other out (either by pushing the limit or by slowing down and enjoying the moment a little more). I have a group of friends that I run with on Sundays and they are always "recovery" for me. I just plan the rest of my runs accordingly.

I love running alone but also enjoy running with companions. You share a love of fitness and running. It's nice to feel that kinship with someone.

A good running buddy shows up, and shows up on time.

That's the most important thing. It's my main reason for running with buddies: 'cause I know they will be waiting for me if I don't get out there. And they come out because they know I'll be waiting for them if they don't get out there, too.

Now, one thing I find with some people is that they take off way too fast. I think I tend to do that when running with an unusual running buddy, too. I find it important to voice things, not to be afraid to ask to slow down if necessary, or "would you be okay if we ran a wee bit faster?" or "is it okay if we walk for a minute every 10 minutes?" or whatever.

I agree with Yellow that it's okay to change your running plans a bit to accommodate a partner once in a while. It's a great motivation to have someone out there waiting for you.