Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help...SPD-R pedal problems

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently purchased a brand new pair of Sidi cycling shoes, and decided to go with the SPD-R pedals. I currently have the SPD pedal, but wanted to switch over. I purchased the Shimano SPD-R pedal, and had my boyfriend mount the adapter to my shoes. Clicking into the pedal was noticeably easier, but getting out of the pedal was extremely difficult. This is where we ran into the problem. Even with the tension adjustment set at the lowest setting, it requires too much force to get the shoe out.

Did anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone have any advise for me? If anyone has the SPD-R pedal, I would like to hear what they have to say about them. Thanks everyone.

SPD-R

I've been looking at these pedals too. I did read on another forum about the difficult release. One suggestion was to put a drop or two of lube on the cleat. I've done this with my SPD cleats with no ill effects.

Something to try- and I don't touch Shimano anything BUT ATACs are notorious for release trouble, and here's the trick for them. If you stop pedaling and put your foot down at full leg extension, then try to pop out like you've been doing for years, it doesn't happen, very scary! Now, try pulling your foot out while still spinning the cranks- easy release every time. I can't promise this will work with Shimano whosits, but my most excellent bike shop asked about and found that a lot of hoochy new pedals have similar quirks (they all steal designs from each other).
    So I hope that helps. It's a pain to retrain that release movement, but all the lube in the world won't help a major engineering change. You just have to cruise the cul-de-sac and figure out the trick.

Miss Liz