Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spinning Shoes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sounds weird, but it could be due to the saddle too. All the spin class seats I've seen are overly plush, which can cause blood flow issues to your hands & feet. After you try moving the cleat around, as mentioned, try to get out of the saddle frequently to allow the blood flow to circulate freely. Unfortunately not a lot that can be done to change that... adding a gel cover will only make it worse.

Shoes - got 'em love 'em

I have been spinning for about 8 weeks now - 2 months, and I just purchased a pair of Nike spin shoes that allow you to put the Smimano SPD clips on the soles. I find this to be a great improvement to my spinning technique. I feel more secure in the bike now. Also, I am using different muscles, since I dont always feel like I have to push my feet down into the little shoe "basket" or whatever it is called. I felt more burning after the class in my hamstrings and my back calves. I just go the gym in my regular tennis shoes, warm up on the elliptical or treadmill for about 5 minutes, then go to spin class and change shoes right then and there. No big deal.....alot of people change into their spin shoes and out of them right there in the room. I personally like the shoes with the SPD clips, and if your class has the kind of bikes that accept the SPD clips or cleats, go for it. Just ask your instructor, and I'm sure they will tell you what will work.
    Last edited by karenxfiles; 04-07-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: misspelled something

Quote Originally Posted by Kiekie View Post
    But when I was riding, my left foot started to fall asleep, almost like my shoes were too tight, I bought a pretty pricey pair of shoes, which according to the store are not refundable. But I know that they aren't to tight, b/c I barely pull on the straps to put them on. I know that spinning shoes purpose is so that your feet have better circulation, so now I have to find out what I am doing to make my foot fell like that, my right foot feels perfectly fine! So I guess it is trial and error, going again tonight, so maybe I will try different socks or something! lol
    Your cleat could need repositioning. Look at your right shoe - is the cleat positioned differently?

If you're pushing on a nerve, you might investigate some thin gel-type inner-soles for your shoes.

Last, didn't you say your right knee was your surgical knee? Are you pushing harder with your left leg to compensate?

Just some thoughts...
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post

Last, didn't you say your right knee was your surgical knee? Are you pushing harder with your left leg to compensate?
    Nope, that was me explaining why I had issue unclipping my right leg. No issues with my shoes though.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Well I have been using my shoes for a few weeks and my left foot is still going numb. I called the store and of course they don't take any returns, which is BS b/c it is a spinning shoe, not a running shoe.. not like the bottoms are wore out at all.. so anyways, he suggested I moved the clip, so I am going to try that tonight, but if that doesn't work it sucks that I am stuck with an expensive pair of shoes. I almost rather be in the cages with gym shoes, at least I could feel my toes then.. pretty agrevating.. and yes the clips are the same on both sides.

Just thought I'd top this one, and see if anyone has any they like!!

Good gawd... I'd rather ride duct taped to cranks before I'd use the toe clips again. I rode my first and only time to spin class with those. Cha$ ching$, then it was shoes & cleats for me. Those stupid straps are made to fit a size 9 or 10 man's shoe I think. Btw, I know it really sux about the shop not taking returns... but once the cleat is mounted, it does scratch the bottom of the shoes. If they need adjusted, they should help with that, IMHO. OK, here's some blab on about numb foot...
    1) if shoes felt big at try on, they are probably ok... big toe box = good
    2) top strap closest to ankle is most important to keep your shoe on... leave the lower ones loose loose loose
    3) how's your pedal technique? are you pointing your toes down as you tire... or keeping a flat foot, or heel angeled down?
    4) do you clench your toes in the toe box as you tire pedaling? purposely make yourself wiggle your toes inside the shoe for circulation throughout the ride
    5) are you hydrated and not getting cramps/numbness due to lack of fluids?
    6) as stated, cleat repositioning can help... IMHO, the shop should help you
    7) the spin and mtb shoes are not going to be as stiff as a true road shoe... nor is a spin bike spd going to be as wide a platform, like a road bike Look Keo... so more numb potential there

Just some more ideas.
    Hope you find some resolve.
    Last edited by Miranda; 09-20-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Sometimes my feet go numb when I'm spinning, and I've found it means that I'm tensing my leg muscles. When I relax (which improves your effort, BTW) the numbness will go away. Also, another mistake I made when I started spinning and road riding w/ cleats is that I had my shoe straps a little too tight. They felt comfortably snug to me - but the feet swell a little during a ride/spin, and if the shoe's too tight, numbness can result.

So many little details to hammer out, aren't there?

I thought I was the only one that got numb sometimes. Mostly my feet, though. It's definitely a circulation thing since I don't strap my shoes on that tight. This happens for both my spinning shoes and road biking shoes. I now get out of the saddle more on the long rides and workouts to alleviate the problem. This has helped. I never thought of the tensing and relaxing muscle aspect. I'll have to try to be more aware about that on future rides.
    Last edited by yougogirl; 10-04-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    An oldie but goody - No pain, No gain!