I've been reading the threads on snowshoeing with a great deal of interest. Winter came early to Indiana this year and I'm finding myself less than content with spinning and yoga. I just miss being outside. But how much snow does one generally need to snowshoe? I read a thread where someone (Lisa, I think) said 5 inches, but I've read conflicting information elsewhere. Do you generally need more or less snow to x-country ski?

The snowfalls we get around Central Indiana are so unpredictable. We've had a fair amount of snow some years, very little in others and, as was the case last year, not much snow minus one really bad storm in mid-February. So, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to make the investment.

That said, I have a nice pair of Tubbs Venture shoes picked out along with a few pieces of related gear. I have a lot of cycling stuff--a Gore Windstopper Jacket, Tights, baselayers, wool socks, etc., that should do double duty. Right? I also have a pair of waterproof pants.

So, that leaves gaiters, a wool hat, gloves (my cycling gloves aren't as warm as I'd like them to be), a pack of some kinds to hold a water bottle, and boots. I have these picked out at REI. I don't really know much about what to look for in boot, so do they look okay? http://www.rei.com/product/740631

Thanks for the help!

Kate