Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How much snow do you need to shoe or xcountry ski?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been reading the threads on snowshoeing with a great deal of interest. Winter came early to Indiana this year and I'm finding myself less than content with spinning and yoga. I just miss being outside. But how much snow does one generally need to snowshoe? I read a thread where someone (Lisa, I think) said 5 inches, but I've read conflicting information elsewhere. Do you generally need more or less snow to x-country ski?

The snowfalls we get around Central Indiana are so unpredictable. We've had a fair amount of snow some years, very little in others and, as was the case last year, not much snow minus one really bad storm in mid-February. So, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to make the investment.

That said, I have a nice pair of Tubbs Venture shoes picked out along with a few pieces of related gear. I have a lot of cycling stuff--a Gore Windstopper Jacket, Tights, baselayers, wool socks, etc., that should do double duty. Right? I also have a pair of waterproof pants.

So, that leaves gaiters, a wool hat, gloves (my cycling gloves aren't as warm as I'd like them to be), a pack of some kinds to hold a water bottle, and boots. I have these picked out at REI. I don't really know much about what to look for in boot, so do they look okay? http://www.rei.com/product/740631

Thanks for the help!

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

you need a lot of snow to snowshoe, but just a little to crosscountry ski.

Snowshoeing would be annoying in less than 6" of snow.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

For x-country skiing it can vary with the terrain, but as long as you have enough to cover over the grass/rocks/mud you're pretty much good to go. That usually means a couple of inches and you are good to go.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    A few inches over rocks is okay, but be careful if it's light snow that can be displaced easily by the skis. (assuming it's not already packed or tracked down here) I was cruising one time one a few inches of fresh powder and got stopped in my tracks and sent crashing to my knees (and ripped my pants!) when I hit a rock.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Not to mention if you try going without enough snow you will tear up the bottoms of your skis
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Anything under about 6 inches I don't bother with snowshoes or skis. I just stomp around in my boots. Between 6 inches to about 1 1/2 feet I'll use the snowshoes. That way I'm not worried about sliding into rocks with my skis. Over 2 feet, anything goes.

Indy, looks like it's unlikely that you'll be doing xcountry in Indy...do you have any friends in South Bend you can visit?

Out of curiosity, do they salt or plow the Monon after a snow for the runners/cyclists?
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Mr. Silver, I actually have some friends who x-country skied up the Monon on Sunday, although they usually go to Eagle Creek Park to ski the groomed trails there. I don't think they plow, shovel or salt the Monon. Or if they do, it's certainly not made a priority. Heck, they don't even get to sidestreets or sidewalks most of the time. They just wait for it to melt!

I'm thinking that x-country skis would be the better investment as between the two. The problem I run into is that when there's enough snow to make winter sports possible around here, there's also enough snow to keep me and my car safely indoors. I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to driving in bad weather. My friends who live right off the Monon are lucky in that regard.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Wow! I'm surprised that they did that!

I was up there Monday for mediation and while it was considerably messier than Bloomington, I would not have thought that it was enough for skiing!

Just goes to show how much I know
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers