Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just asked a couple of people that have lived here for a while and they said down the street from Powells is Saturday Market. Also, if you like music, hit the Doug Fir Lounge on Burnside. Try the Hawthorne District as well, all easily accessed from TriMet buses/Max Light Rail/streetcar. I haven't been to the Kennedy School one yet, but they have good bands there all the time. Look up www.wweek.com... The Willamette Weekly is a local free paper that has all of the groovy, eclectic happenings in Portland. You will find restaurants, music, gatherings, etc in there. If it's happening here, it's in there.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Kitsune06 Guest
    The Doug Fir is very nice with a really cozy downstairs area where the music is played.

Thanks, X and Kit!

I'm keeping a running list of places to check out.

And if any PNW TE gals are free that weekend and want to hang out on Saturday or Saturday evening, let me know. I'd love the company!!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

SadieKate, he is adorable!

As of now, I am free. Portland is close enough and the transit system is excellent so if I fly, I can get anywhere pretty easily.

The Doug Fir is wonderful! I saw a show there this past year. I was amazed at how small it was. The band I was seeing was fairly obscure but in the audience (sitting at the bar) was Moby. I didn't talk to him...I'm not so sure I even like his music. He was just hanging out by himself.

Do you want to check out apartments or residential areas at all?

If you're going to work in Hillsboro & like to ride, I'd check out the areas around Orenco Station (where you'll be staying, conveniently...), and near the Streets of Tanasbourne.

Orenco Station is the area off of Cornell, west of Cornelius Pass Rd. There's a light rail station there, and a hub of development off of it.

Streets of Tanasbourne is an outdoor mall, which is between Cornell & Evergreen, just west of 185th Ave.

Both areas are close to lots of shopping & restaurants (lots of chains, though), and both would be good bases for riding on the rural road of Washington County.

It's more suburban out there, than Portland proper, and doesn't have as much cool/unique/funky stuff going on. But lots of good riding, and close to a lot of high tech work places.

I've been here 5 years

and still feel like a newbie. Cali transplant and I absolutely love it here!

I live in Hillsboro, west of where you'll be staying. There is plenty to see and here are a few of my favorite things which require little or no $ to do.

Washington Park, fun to walk around and the Rose Test Garden plus the Japanese Garden are there. Also the Zoo is close by. Oops those last two require a fee to get in. Between Hwy 26 and Burnside you can get there off either street.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...Park-BR-1.html

Down the street from WP on 23rd St off of Burnside is a fun place to hang out at, lots of funky new age kinda things, McMenamins one at the top and one near the bottom of 23rd, nice eats and drinks. Lots of funky shops in-between.

http://www.macmaster.com/area2.htm

Multnomah Falls IMO is a must see. 35 miles east of Portland on hwy 84, should be frozen and spectacular in Jan. Take your camera and if you feel up to the mile hike to the top you won't regret it beware the saying "are we there yet" will be going through your mind! Nice gift shop and restaurant there too. The drive is nice and pretty too.

http://trips.stateoforegon.com/multnomah_falls/

And if you get out my way the old Downtown Hillsboro shopping is kinda cool you can take the Max it ends there and was shown in the movie What the Bleep Do We Know

I know you'll have fun, lots to do here and you'll love it here too, hey break a leg on you Interview, or well you know.....wishing you success!
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

Wow, more great info all!! Thanks so much. I'm copying this all down to take with me. I can't wait!!

So, any PNW TE women interested in getting together for coffee, lunch, dinner, entertainment, whatever...while I'm there? I've made plans with a friend for Friday night, but I'm open all day on Saturday.

OMG - I got an offer!

It's for less than I'd originally wanted because I screwed up the technical part of the interview, but it's still an offer with a nice relocation package.

DH and I are going to have a heart to heart about it tonight. We may be moving to Portland in the near future! Eeek!

Congrats on the offer! Hopefully you can negotiate something satisfactory.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I hate to see you leave NC, but know that you'll be happy whatever you decide (and you WILL make the right decision). Good luck, whatever you decide
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Congrats! How exciting for you.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I realize this thread is kinda old but I would love to hear about the cost of real estate in Portland? I plan to do an externship there because I am seriously considering it as a site for my practice when I finish school. I know the cycling is awesome but I'd still love to hear more about that too

I think some areas of Portland are higher than others, much depends on your housing criteria. The closer in toward downtown, the higher the prices, though you can find some reasonable prices just a littler further east (Portland is significantly bounded on the west by our west hills).

For more about our biking life, you can check out a bikeportland.org, bta4bikes.org, or do a search on bicycling in Portland. With my work now located practically on the Willamette in downtown Portland (aka PDX), I am lovin' bike commuting, many route options and I find really pleasant sights. There are several bike clubs/orgs and there always seem to some kind of bike related event going on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

And if you go over those west hills out of Portland, you end up in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area where there are a ton of high tech companies and where TE is located.

We looked mostly in this western area as both my husband and I had job offers from companies located in Hillsboro. Real estate is not cheap. It's gotten a tad more affordable since we moved here 3 years ago, but it hasn't dropped all that much compared to some places. It's more affordable than a lot of other cities, particularly for the west coast, but it's a bit painful if you compare it to small town North Carolina (where we came here from!). If you are looking to have any land at all, then expect to pay a premium. It's very, very expensive within the urban boundry and only slightly more affordable if you are willing to have a long commute.

I just went through house buying in Portland area.

Toward downtown Portland, it gets pricier. If you go just tad south like in Happy valley area. Well you can be happy if you have money there. And pleasant valley area is nice but all the subdivisions there seem to have HOA. Some are rather strict

Gresham can go from one extreme to the other. Some area are really bad, other area are pretty nice; but, its still Gresham.

Mt. Tabor area is very nice but expect to pay a lot. Another nice area is Maywood Park. Technically, its a city all its own. Lots of trees close to downtown, I liked the area when looking for a house.

Further east of Maywood Park, Argay area is really nice and affordable but you might want to think about it since its right under the approach to PDX. People there don't seem to mind and turnover rate is low. East of Argay is Fairview and Woodbridge. Now you are about 25 minutes from downtown are. maybe longer. I passed on these area and settled on Troutdale.

I'm about 20 minutes from Multnomah water fall. about 5 minutes from Sandy river where you can go fish for salmon. And we love the historic downtown area. And about 35minutes from downtown PDX. And oh its tad hilly.

I also looked further south Milwaukie area. Houses there are very affordable, nice neighborhood downtown area is cute Liked the area too.

I didn't bother looking at Hillsboro and Beaverton area. Lots of new houses and like GLC says not so cheap.

Nice house in Troutdale around $250K to about $300k
    nice house in Milwaukie around $220K to about $300k
    Argay area around $275K

Happy Valley well lots of big McMansion and gaudy. Starts around $400K
    Pleasant Valley have some normal houses around $275k
    Hillsboro and Beaverton, nice house starts around $350k
    Mt. Tabbor area nice house starts around $350-$400k

The real estate company I used have a very nice web site and you can set your needs and it can show you houses for sale in the area. If you would like a link, I can send it to you.

And oh there are certain streets you want to avoid. in NE and SE of Portland.