Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17863

Here's a good thread...and there are some great photos comparing the B17 with the B68....
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

one more thing...

almost everyone I can remember who bought an "s" model exchanged it for the regular one. Me included. The Brooks have short rails and getting them back far enough is easier with the regular length.

Worth a try. You'll love it or hate it.

oh...and ANOTHER thing. If you do think you'll be returning it...you can get shipping credit depending on if the saddle looks new; they judge by the knicks on the rails more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17863

Here's a good thread...and there are some great photos comparing the B17 with the B68....

that was a great thread, thank you!

My sit bones are fairly narrow, a quick measure at work came out roughly 115mm, so the B-17 should be wide enough. I measured my Avocet, and it's about the same width as the B-17, but shorter by about an inch. I don't use the nose of the seat as anything but a perch for my hand when I'm chatting to someone or waiting for a long light so I'm not sure if B-17S will have too much of an impact, but since most girls don't seem to like them I think I'll stick to looking at the B-17.

The comparison pics between B-17 and B-68 was great, too. I thought that the B-68 would look massive on a skinny bike but it looks okay.

The big problem I was having with the Terry was that my girly bits were not accommodated in any way, so no position alleviated the pressure. While my sitbones get sore with my Avocet if I don't ride for a while, it's more the numbness I have issues with.

But I should also mention that I'm not a recreational biker but a necessity rider who commutes to/from work due to lack of parking (and the fact I only live about 4 miles from work). I ride in jeans and other similar pants, so that could also play a role in the discomfort. Still, people rode in all sorts of clothes before padded shorts came along, so I'm still going to think that a Brooks will be in the end a better choice for me. And who knows, if I find the seat comfy, I may want to ride more and longer!

Still not sure which one's better!!

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    But I should also mention that I'm not a recreational biker but a necessity rider who commutes to/from work due to lack of parking (and the fact I only live about 4 miles from work). I ride in jeans and other similar pants, so that could also play a role in the discomfort.
    I have a Brooks Finesse on my road bike and a B17 on my singlespeed city/commuter bike. I never had problems doing short rides (typically 3-10 miles) in regular clothes (jeans, capris, or skirts and tights) on either of my Brooks saddles.

Good luck finding the right saddle!

I ride my Brooks in streetclothes...and have ridden up to 20 miles thusly
    with no problem. In fact, jeans aren't so slippery.

Don't sweat it too much. Lots of gals seem to start with the B17...and if that doesn't work....try the B67, 68 etc.

elk

I have both, the B17 and the B67. They are both equally comfortable to me. I ride them both with regular clothes with no problem. If I had my pick, I'd probably pick the B67 or B68, depending on if you want springs or no springs.

If your order from Wallingford Bikes they have a 6 month return policy.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

I have two B67 saddles. I loooooove the springs, but I tend to sit "hard" on the saddle anyway which springs really help. Yup, they do add some weight. Grant Peterson feels there's no difference in function between the B67 (springs) and the B68 (no springs). He's not a girl. I'd go by what LisaSH says or what MimiTabby says before I go with what Mr. Rivendell says.

My 2nd B67 came along for my 2nd bike just cuz I loved my first B67 so much, and saw no need to mess with success. (once I figured out the creaking noise issue, there were no No NO problems!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I'm no expert on the B68 because i've never had one. Would like to try it based on the fact that I don't think my (cool looking) springs flex much when I ride.
    I have no evidence that they do. On the other hand, I already have the B67 why replace it? to lose a pound? nah.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I have both...B67 and B68 ( betcha didn't know that... ) and the springs definitely work. I can feel a clear difference in the 2 saddles on bumps.

I decided to try the B-17S. My boyfriend found one at a local exchange shop for $40 with no signs of wear so I shall give it a go. The measurements are essentially the same as my Avocet, so I don't think the short nose will be too much of an issue, at least I hope not!

the only downside is he's in England and I won't get the saddle til January. I'm excited, though!

Just bear in mind that the outer margin (under the cantle plate) of the Brooks will be pretty much un-useable for the sit bones. You'd be pressing the bones on leather over metal rather than on suspended leather. (so if the saddle feels ridiculously hard, move it back a titch)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have some info on an S saddle. A friend of mine who rode the Paris Brest Paris this year had a brooks normal sized saddle (sorry; don't know what model) on the back of their tandem. whenever she stood up, the nose of the saddle was poking her. She got the "S" model instead 1 month before the big ride (1200 kilometers). She had many problems* due to the length of time she had to stay in the saddle. But saddle sores was not one of them.

*numbness in hands and feet that did not go away YET, lost toenails, PTSD*
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I've ridden an Avocet O2 for years (not the same one, but several of the same on all of my bikes) They do not make them anymore so I purchased a Terry Zero X saddle and I really like it. I use it on my mountain bike. It is minimally padded, but enough for me.

You can purchase them on the Terry Precision Bicycle website.

They have a nice return policy on saddles if you do not like it. Check it out.

I guess there's only one way to find out if I like the S, and that's to try it out!

thanks for the tip on moving it back, knotted. I should be getting the saddle around 7th of January, so I'm really excited!