Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 491 of 495 FirstFirst ... 391441481487488489490491492493494495 LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,365 of 7422

Thread: Dear So and So

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I think they can "get away with it" here because it's a graduate school medical library. The students need little assistance beyond locating things like proper peer reviewed articles, and choosing anatomical models for the correct section they're in.
    Ah, those librarians are never faced with the reality of community "standards/values" and censorship, never have to deal with reality diverse information literacy, information gaps with those who don't speak English, never deal with homeless locals who visit the library for a warm place to stay, never deal with people who don't understand basics of govn't structure and how to find information on the 'Net, or even which organization /authority to contact by phone, never deal with helpless poor clients who can't afford a lawyer to deal with divorce, child custody (that's why law librarians might get walk-ins from public), etc.

Information is power and the right information serves to equalize and solve problems.

One doesn't have to work in alternate organizations so I am befuddled why some of the employees are so rigid. They don't want change...
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Yes, and the head of the library had only worked in this and a private engineering school library, so he's very accustomed to being in a strongly male environment where his views may have had more traction. He has succeeded in hiring a very conservative staff, none of whom have academic library experience, which why (I'm assuming) he hired me. I actually know how to do the job, and tend to keep my interactions professional.

Electra Townie 7D

Honestly, in that town, what passes for "liberal" bugs me a lot more than people who are unabashedly reactionary. You get people who you think are allies, and then something comes out of their mouth that makes you wonder whether you even want to associate with them.

Hang in there, Pax. You still might try hanging out with the old white men at Hottie's Coffee.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Honestly, in that town, what passes for "liberal" bugs me a lot more than people who are unabashedly reactionary. You get people who you think are allies, and then something comes out of their mouth that makes you wonder whether you even want to associate with them.

Hang in there, Pax. You still might try hanging out with the old white men at Hottie's Coffee.
    It is a strange thing to find a liberal here, then hear what comes out of their mouths; rebel flags - no problem because it's heritage, Trump v Clinton - well, Hillary is the devil so they may just not vote, young man in trouble for destroying a pride flag - well, boys will be boys, he didn't really mean anything.

My upstairs neighbor is a regular at Hottie, his wife wants him to stop going so much because his blood pressure gets sky high from arguing politics.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    It is a strange thing to find a liberal here, then hear what comes out of their mouths; rebel flags - no problem because it's heritage, Trump v Clinton - well, Hillary is the devil so they may just not vote, young man in trouble for destroying a pride flag - well, boys will be boys, he didn't really mean anything.

My upstairs neighbor is a regular at Hottie, his wife wants him to stop going so much because his blood pressure gets sky high from arguing politics.
    I must be a flaming commie. I been touched by the Bern.

Dear weather,

what's up with high 50's and low 60's for the daytime high? Was it a fading memory or did we really have 100F about a week ago? I'm worried for my basil and other heat loving plants. Will they survive overnight when the temp drops into the low 40's. My tomatoes, peppers, zukes have stopped growing because its too cold. all the basil variety may die from the cold spell you are inflicting on us.

And last week, I've lost most of my cool weather crop such as bok choi, tat soi, to bolting and you've managed to wreck most of my lettuce, bitter and tough from the heat.

All of this with measures taken to protect the plants.

Tomorrow is going to be a down pour. Please don't make it sleet. Yes, it was sleet and hail the other day. Thank you so much weather, we've pulled out of one of the farmers market for the season. Now we are down to just two markets for the season.

YES! WELCOME TO THE VAGARIES OF FARMING!!

It's been crazy on our coast, too. One day I'm sick from trying to ride in the hot sun without being acclimated, then it's cold and windy, then back to feeling sick in the hot sun again. I don't know how badly the farms here are being affected. But I'm pretty sure they had to buy lots of non-local strawberries for the strawberry festival that I attended last month when the weather was more like March than May.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Dear chipmunk,

I'm sorry I caused your death earlier today. It's bothering me a great deal. Sure, one of your friends have gone through my germination table and dug up many a seed and had a feast. Seeds meant to be grown into plants then bear fruit (vegetables such as squash, zucchini, cucumbers and such). and other times, one of your friends went through and dug up many of the seedlings still in the 128 plug trays (128 plants in a tray). Or when your friend went through and feasted on sunflower seeds being germinated for microgreens. You and your friend have cost me much. But still, these are not a good reason for you to have lost your life.

I do more than my share of butchering chicken. There is no such thing as humane way to kill an animal. It's all euphemism. Because of it, I'm sensitive to unnecessary death. And now, I've caused your death. you were healthy, vibrant and full of life one minute then next you were no more.

I wish it didn't happen.

Rest in peace dear chipmunk

Aw, smilingcat, that is such a sweet thing to say.

Electra Townie 7D

At the risk of sounding a bit smug but it was quite ironic. Attended a talk of one our customers last night. He rode and completed the Ride the Divide Bike Race and had a slide show to share his experience. Was at a local library about 4 miles from our house. We were surprised to roll up on our bikes and see the entire bike rack completely empty. The room was full but we seemed to be the only ones who arrived via bike. It was 100 degrees but we accounted for that in our trip and didn't "race to get there" Talk was interesting but if I ever ride the divide it won't be a race pace Took a meandering way home and rode along the river on the MUP - easily 15 degrees cooler than city streets.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Around here traffic would also be an issue -- it can be hard to get to things after work on weekdays. It used to be that I would walk from my home to condo association meetings, but since my job moved further away I either drive there directly from work or miss the meeting altogether because of rush hour traffic. But I don't know if that's as much of a factor in Boise.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

At certain after work times of day, traffic could be an issue, too, even here in the suburbs. It is for my measly 2.5 mile commute. I have a go-around, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. If I had to go to a presentation at a local business, I would probably think about riding, but most likely I would drive. I really don't feel comfortable riding in regular clothes, although I am better; I have cycling clothes that don't look lycra-ish, so that helps, but generally, I think about this when I go to meetings or other events. My bet is racer types wouldn't think of riding for transportation. I ride for both fitness and transportation at times, but for a lot of people, this is not the case.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    At certain after work times of day, traffic could be an issue, too, even here in the suburbs. It is for my measly 2.5 mile commute. I have a go-around, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. If I had to go to a presentation at a local business, I would probably think about riding, but most likely I would drive. I really don't feel comfortable riding in regular clothes, although I am better; I have cycling clothes that don't look lycra-ish, so that helps, but generally, I think about this when I go to meetings or other events. My bet is racer types wouldn't think of riding for transportation. I ride for both fitness and transportation at times, but for a lot of people, this is not the case.
    I work for govn't and we are responsible for public cycling infrastructure, transit in our city..and also roads for building, maintenance. So part of employer's action plan has been to provide some better bike parking facilities for employees in secured areas at same workplace and at bigger, very select buildings, provide a small group of pool corporate bikes. Not exactly a bikeshare but strictly internal for signup and use. So cycling, transit or corporate vehicle is encouraged. Latter is a problem for very small fleet of cars. I have cycled to some internal meetings located less than 6-8 km. away from where I work with approx. 50% of route on pathways, not on road. The meetings involve others who are technical folks (actually GIS, drafting and surveying technical staff) so it's better I don't look overly girly/corporate 2-piece skirt-suited. There are some women in these groups and they are professional casual in attire. I show up at these meetings after biking, wearing black blazer and black jeans (for cycling).

Car, traffic and pedestrian traffic for past 12 months has been noticeably lighter...because there have been over 20,000 worker layoffs (just in our city alone) because of the dropping oil and gas economy in Alberta. Alberta is the lead Canadian province in this industry and our city is where most of such companies' head offices are located.
    So yes, cycling is a lot easier along with availability of installed separated bike lanes.

From what one observes at least, in the building where I work (over 2,000 employees), I actually think signals that you are paying to your health by taking noon hr. classes, going for jog, walk or biking to work is viewed as a plus for an employee. Not a negative. While, yes women are still judged more harshly if they look too sloppy at work, overall if she is visibly engaging in any form of exercise outside of office time, it's seen as very good. We do have employee profiles several times per month on highlights of certain work one does, hobbies and....any favourite exercise activities. Yes, employees who do cycle to work have been profiled on our intranet --including myself. This intranet reaches over 10,000 employees.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 07-27-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Dear Farmer's market shopper,

Just because I was making zucchini pancake to sample, a nice large one about 6" diameter to be cut into one inch square, doesn't mean that you can have the whole pancake with Mango salsa. No nada... I'm not running a food cart, restaurant. NOOOO... you can see what can be done with zucchini besides bread and to taste something really different.

Getting PO with me will not get you the whole 6 inch zucchini pancake.

Yes go away all huffy and puffy.

How selfish and rude. And she was an older woman. Don't think she was in any financial hardship or going hungry. Just greedy!!

Dear clueless vendor next to me,

I'm not your honey!! It's bit outdated to say the least and it is offensive to me. I also don't need to know that guys leak or piddle on the toilette seat.

Just my rant for the day.

I used to patronize a certain nail salon a few times a year; in the last year it was sold and they are steadily losing business. The new owner called me honey one too many times in the late winter/early spring, and I told him I was not his honey. He got all huffy and said "It's hard to remember everyone's name." I went in there last week, and lo and behold, he called me by my name... I also was the only person in there. Nothing else is different, except this guy, so I wonder if others feel the same way.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Dear clueless vendor next to me,

I'm not your honey!! It's bit outdated to say the least and it is offensive to me.
    As a new lawyer about fifteen years ago, my very first deposition was of an older real estate agent who insisted on calling me "honey." In fact, he did it 216 times during a three hour deposition. You can bet that all of the quotes I ended up using in pleadings incorporated him calling me "honey." Their main theme was how professionally they'd been during this transaction, and that they conducted their business the same as always, so not sure if the "honey" references helped us win at all -- but it sure made me feel better.